Harbor freight

/ Harbor freight #41  
I give each and everyone of those people the same number.

{Your Area Code}-555-1212

All they want is a number and most couldn't care less what that number is.

/ Harbor freight #42  
When I have the time.......I try to keep unsolicited callers on the line as long as possible by asking them as many questions I can think of. These folks are on commission and wasting their time is costing them money. My goal is to keep them on the line as long as possible and get them to hang up on me. Man....retirement is fun!
I had a friend who did this. If the caller asked for his wife then all bets were off. He would "snair" them with a story about her passing then get to sobbing, etc., etc. The callers would sometimes just hang up, sometimes just look for a good time to end the call.

Way back when time shares came onto the scene, I knew a couple of retired school teachers/administrators. They would get those solicitations to come and listen and get a free toaster or whatever. These sessions were super boiler room deals but these folks were hardened and would not crack.

/ Harbor freight #43  
I give each and everyone of those people the same number.

{Your Area Code}-555-1212

All they want is a number and most couldn't care less what that number is.

Menards (Upper midwest Home Depot chain) always asks for your phone number. I used to be annoyed by it. Mainly they use it as they get your address for deliveries, so there is less chance of error as it auto-fills in your info from the phone number. Nowadays I give them my phone as it saves me time. But earlier on, I was annoyed by it. One time they asked at the order desk for my phone and I said 555-1212. Guys types it is prints it out and I took it to the cashier to check out. Never looked at it. Got in my truck to go into the yard to pick up the lumber and the guy looks at it and says "Whoa! That's quite a name!" Now I am used to this as I have a long last name, so I went "yeah yeah, I'm used to it" and moved on. When I got to the lumber stack I looked down to make sure of the quantity and noticed the "name" that was on the pick order. It was something like "qwregvyl;'ytu" It was pretty clear that someone had dragged their hand across the keyboard when some other annoyed customer gave them that number way back in the day, and it stuck. I got a good laugh out of that...

/ Harbor freight #44  
They aren't going to call you from the phone number or zip code. That's how they identify you and however it's done can identify you off the zip code alone. Phone and zip is entirely for marketing purposes. Same for the auto parts stores so they can send you targeted email.

Unless I want to, nobody gets the email or phone number and I don't answer a call unless I know who it is. Because I don't answer, I now get almost no spam calls.

I dislike it so much I have often shopped elsewhere because of it. I either decline or give them a wrong number.

/ Harbor freight #45  
I only give HF my # if I'm buying an extended warranty. We have a few items at work like an air compressor and vacuum pump that seemed prudent to buy.

The people at the MA stores move on. But there's an old hippie-looking dude in Salem, NH who must own company stock or something. Don't need extended warranty on a tarp or pack of screwdrivers. I try to get in the other line.
Most of the callers are overseas and calling from a call center.........they have a script.......it's fun to listen to them scramble when you go off script. I figure.....if they have the right to bug me.....I can return the favor.
I like to ask them, "How's the weather?"

The Phillipines are taking over the call center business from India, but both are generally hot, and time-shifted. They also use Celsius. I'm mean, I guess.

How the Philippines is crushing the Indian call center business | Public Radio International

/ Harbor freight #46  
They have a phone #. Who's # ? I couldn't tell you. They do have my email address, and my address so, they can send me coupons

/ Harbor freight #47  
They have a phone #. Who's # ? I couldn't tell you. They do have my email address, and my address so, they can send me coupons
That is all that is necessary - it is just a unique identifier. HF isn't going to call you. You can make up any number you want - use your boss' number.

/ Harbor freight #48  
Having a phone number in their system is handy for identifying purchase history and warranty. I have a landline for DSL that has no phone connected to it so I always use that number. As others have said you could always make up an easy to remember number. For me it just makes checkout easier to give them the number you let them file and you can move on. Plus they keep sending me coupons in the mail.

It's insane how much info everybody has on you. I created accounts at USPS, Fedex, and UPS for getting tracking emails. Any time I try to make a change they come back and ask me to verify who I am by asking for answers on information that is in documents regarding land, vehicle, and tax transactions you wouldn't think would be that easy to find and access. BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING! And apparently everybody else.