Old Maytag top loader no agitation

/ Old Maytag top loader no agitation #1  

ultrarunner

Epic Contributor
SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
Tractor
Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 and RTV900 with restored 1948 Deere M, 1949 Farmall Cub, 1953 Ford Jubliee and 1957 Ford 740 Row Crop, Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer 50 assorted vehicles from 1905 to 2006
My friend is 91 and is just getting back on her feet after a fall that left her in a rehab facility for some time.

She has a A8100 Top Loader Maytag Washer that now will not agitate and looks like this:

https://images.search.yahoo.com/ima...l&sign=11ac04gnl&.crumb=lUb5HDEkviW&fr=mcafee

It seems the agitation shaft is frozen/binding.

Am I just wasting my time trying to repair?

A new transmission is about $300

She would be overjoyed to have it working again... and buying a new one really isn't in the picture.

/ Old Maytag top loader no agitation #2  
Maybe you find a used one on craigslist - sometimes people sell them for parts

/ Old Maytag top loader no agitation #3  
I'm not sure but think the agitation shaft has a belt driven pulley with a brake. Check underneath for a broken belt. If the belt is broken it can't continue to the next cycle to release the brake for the spin cycle.

/ Old Maytag top loader no agitation #4  
I would check for something bound up in the tub or on the shaft. I have a similar machine and once had to pull a child's sock out of the water line between the pump and the tub. If it has been jammed you will have to replace the drive belts underneath as well.

/ Old Maytag top loader no agitation #5  
Try this website........I have used them for several repairs on washers and dryers. Go to their instant repairman section.....type in problem and model.....they will provide probabilities for solution. I have ordered belts, switches and fuses from them in the past.....they were always timely and inexpensive...good luck.

http://www.partselect.com/

/ Old Maytag top loader no agitation
It spins and drains fine... the brake disengages and I also tested with the 2 belts off... this model is known as a two belt Maytag.

When it goes to agitate the belts slip as the drum is braked as it is suppose to be and since the agitator is frozen... something has to give.

Just got off the phone with someone that spent years repairing laundromat machines and if the transmission is the problem it was replaced as the new one comes with a warranty and individual parts are expensive plus all the time needed to rebuild/repair.

I might try some penetrating oil on the shaft to see if it will free up.

Shaft looks like this...

https://share.shutterfly.com/share/received/welcome.sfly?fid=5fb509f869d5c44f&sid=0AcM3LNk1YuGjjg

/ Old Maytag top loader no agitation #7  
I have that same washer . I bought it new yrs ago . I now use it in my shop to wash my work clothes and rags. Never had an issue other than replacing the 2 belts. Possibly a bad bearing in the tranny. You should be able to pick up a used washer on graigs list for about 100-150