Signs of dementia

/ Signs of dementia #1  

Taylortractornut

Elite Member
Tractor
3550 Fard Backhoe and a 1948 Farmall Cub,
Hey guys how have the holidays been. As usual I need some advice. I think my dad has dementia or Alzheimer's. We work together at a rubbish landfill and never have gotten along all the time like most fathers and sons do. The last ten years I've done most of the hard work, mechanicing and all of the environmental work. Dad did the hiring firing and ran errands and trips to the main office and truck dispatch.

The last year or so I've noticed him slipping mentally, sending three trucks after the same dumpster, loosing things then accusing everyone of stealing that item. The other day my eldest brother that's 52 had a stroke. And was in a hospital my younger brother and mother used to be nurses at. Dad's demanding I call my brother and Check on my older brother. He hasn't worked there on 6 years. We argue over it dads calling me a liar then says call your mother and get her to check. My parents have been divorced for ten years and moms been dead for three.

I reminded him mom was deceased and he claims I just talked to her 4 or 5 days ago. I was floored to say the least. I asked him to go get chrome he'd for Alzheimer's and he swears his np says he doesn't have it or dementia. But the last few days have been unbearable the abuse he's doling out. I've taken over most of the dispatch but dad still insists on changing my drivers up.

Last week was our week off for Christmas And a couple of us and myself go in while we re down and do maintenance like we've done for 13 years. Well my brother that contracts excavation for the main plant was doing some demo work and hit a snag and wasn't going to make the deadline. I took my crew and helped get back on schedule and complete the job. I logged 89 hours and my crew about 72 yet he complains we didn't work hard enough.

We were off till the 3rd and I took that day. Dad comes in and goes off because I wasn't onsite. Then calls the whole crew asking why they weren't at work. I had to explain to him that we were off that day too. Not five minutes later I had to tell him again. I'm frustrated and worried at the same time. There's more things that happen I'm torn between calling HR and the feeling of betraying my dad. Does this sound like dementia or Alzheimer's or something else.

/ Signs of dementia #3  
Could be very low on all the B vitamins. Shots are usualy prescribed, although Red Bull drink has a lot. Otherwise, I can put cream in the sugar bowl and complain about the taste of the coffee, put the mail in the refridgerator, and other things that drive us nuts. "Where did I put that UPS delivery ?" With a shot of the Bs, I'm good to go for a week.

This sounds like a short term memory issue. How is he with memories from the past ? Could just be stress about something else, too. Something he doesn't want you to know about (like health issues). Chemical poisoning from materials on site ? Cancer ? Blood and tissue tests will reveal a lot on this.

Be kind to him and know when its time to retire.

/ Signs of dementia #4  
We are also dealing with this, but in a much less serious way here in the home.. I really feel for you, but you know what you are up against, and it is not going to get any better.

Dementia is a bunch of symptoms that can be caused by other things besides Alzheimer's which is a specific disease, But either way, you have a hard road ahead. I wish you the best of luck for you and your whole family.

/ Signs of dementia #5  
My father in law passed away from dymensia on Thanksgiving day 2 years ago. It turned him into someone he was not. Anger, cursing and still, in his mind, could do anything but yet pretty much ruined anything he touched. The worst was taking his car keys.
Anyway, it is a terrible thing for all involved and wish you the best.
If this is what he has the only words of encouragement is it will get better and in time this will fade and the man you knew will live forever in your memory

/ Signs of dementia #6  
It is time to make preliminary contact with your local Hospice organization.

/ Signs of dementia #7  
Hey guys how have the holidays been. As usual I need some advice. I think my dad has dementia or Alzheimer's. We work together at a rubbish landfill and never have gotten along all the time like most fathers and sons do. The last ten years I've done most of the hard work, mechanicing and all of the environmental work. Dad did the hiring firing and ran errands and trips to the main office and truck dispatch.

The last year or so I've noticed him slipping mentally, sending three trucks after the same dumpster, loosing things then accusing everyone of stealing that item. The other day my eldest brother that's 52 had a stroke. And was in a hospital my younger brother and mother used to be nurses at. Dad's demanding I call my brother and Check on my older brother. He hasn't worked there on 6 years. We argue over it dads calling me a liar then says call your mother and get her to check. My parents have been divorced for ten years and moms been dead for three.

I reminded him mom was deceased and he claims I just talked to her 4 or 5 days ago. I was floored to say the least. I asked him to go get chrome he'd for Alzheimer's and he swears his np says he doesn't have it or dementia. But the last few days have been unbearable the abuse he's doling out. I've taken over most of the dispatch but dad still insists on changing my drivers up.

Last week was our week off for Christmas And a couple of us and myself go in while we re down and do maintenance like we've done for 13 years. Well my brother that contracts excavation for the main plant was doing some demo work and hit a snag and wasn't going to make the deadline. I took my crew and helped get back on schedule and complete the job. I logged 89 hours and my crew about 72 yet he complains we didn't work hard enough.

We were off till the 3rd and I took that day. Dad comes in and goes off because I wasn't onsite. Then calls the whole crew asking why they weren't at work. I had to explain to him that we were off that day too. Not five minutes later I had to tell him again. I'm frustrated and worried at the same time. There's more things that happen I'm torn between calling HR and the feeling of betraying my dad. Does this sound like dementia or Alzheimer's or something else.

No matter how much you're yelled at accused of being wrong when you're right, refuse to take it personally. If possible, ask your father why is verbally abusive? What is the point? Does your father believe you're making things up? What would your father do if you did X? What would he do? If your father is lucid enough, you may be able to use this calm (from your side) discussion to get him to see a physician.

That said, your father should be noticing that he is slipping and should go in and be checked out. Perhaps he is suffering from vascular dementia or something like harry cell leukemia that makes him anemic leading to literally not enough oxygen to the mind (my oldest sister has this). Anyway, get your father checked out.

/ Signs of dementia #8  
That's what it sounds like to me. Years ago, Dad said something about the month. I said it was November. To which he replied...................."what happened to October?" The following May we checked him into a nursing home, after getting a pace maker. It's tough on you because they will deny it. It is hard to convince them to go get checked out.
hugs, Brandi

/ Signs of dementia #9  
I feel for you and what your going through, we have had several family members that had dementia. This will try your patience and understanding to the limit. You always have to remember that this is a disease and they are not doing just to be mean or to upset you. In many cases they are somewhat aware that something is not right but do not know what it is and tend to lash out because of it.
There are some good dementia support groups that can help you understand and cope with this, it is never easy.
We will all hold you in our thoughts, please feel free to vent to all of your friends on TBN, we will do our best to lend you moral support and kind words.

/ Signs of dementia #10  
He needs to go to doctor, many things can cause memory issues. Good luck with dad. Do not take complaints personally