My State !

/ My State ! #1  

kenmac

Tractor
McCormick CX105 Kubota MX 5100 HST, Kubota ZD1021, Kawsaki Mule 4010 trans 4x4
Some of The STUPID things they do in my state when we get a little sleet .
Schools are closed today, all the milk and bread is gone from grocery stores (why milk and bread I just don't know), Businesses are closing at noon, My wife called and said she will be home as her business closed. All that will be on the news today is about all this bad sleet ,and possible snow that we may get..

I just :laughing: at how this state reacts if /when we get a tea spoon of sleet or snow !

I wonder what all these people would do if they lived where they got a real winter storm all the time ? :confused3:

/ My State ! #2  
It's just as bad here in the STL area, kenmac. We get snow every year, sometimes quite a bit. You wouldn't know it, though, by the reactions to it. And, the local media seem to delight in playing up the fear. We had our first accumulation yesterday, about 1-1/2" at most. There were schools closed all over the area. I remember back in the '70s & '80s having school canceled twice between Kindergarten and HS graduation. Once was a severe ice storm that sent us home early from grade school, and the other was four days off in high school after The Great Blizzard of '82 when we got 28" overnight. Other than that, we went to school. Period. I find it ridiculous how quickly districts call off these days.

/ My State ! #3  
... and that bread/milk/eggs thing ... where did that come from? We call it French Toast Weather. Even the local paper got in on it yesterday.

french toast map.jpg

/ My State ! #4  
Some of The STUPID things they do in my state when we get a little sleet .
Schools are closed today, all the milk and bread is gone from grocery stores (why milk and bread I just don't know), Businesses are closing at noon, My wife called and said she will be home as her business closed. All that will be on the news today is about all this bad sleet ,and possible snow that we may get..

I just :laughing: at how this state reacts if /when we get a tea spoon of sleet or snow !

I wonder what all these people would do if they lived where they got a real winter storm all the time ? :confused3:
I could not believe it when Gov. Bennett called for a "State of Emergency" even before one snow flake or any sleet.

In our area it sleeted for a couple of minutes and flurried for about 5 minutes and of course, NO accumulation.

/ My State ! #5  
No governor or mayor wants to get caught with his snow pants down. It's a good way to lose the next election. Does anybody remember January 2014 Atlanta disaster after 3 inches of snow? Chicago mayor Michael Bilandic lost re-election in part because of the lousy snow removal after the blizzard of '79.

By the way, who thinks naming winter storms is stupid besides me? I guess this one is called Helena.

Kevin

/ My State ! #6  
N.C. is closed. No bread or milk! I hope people enjoy their milk and bread sammiches!

/ My State ! #7  
Here are my thoughts
I buy groceries once a month, even then the freezers/refgierator or cabinets are never empty. We do not eat a lot of bread so we normal have one loaf out maybe one in the freezer. I have 3 case of water, my sodas, propel, and power water and my wife has plenty of tea and her favorite drinks.

Do all the people that make these mad dashes and run on stores not buy more than one day's worth of food or the afraid that the bad weather creature will come and suck up everybody's food?

If the power goes out the food in the refrigerator will stay cold at least 8 hours and if outside temp is below 32 and you are worried about food spoilage just put it outside

Filling the car up, when I need gas I get it done not let it sit on empty. So no need to for the mad dash to the gas station. I guess the bad weather monster drinks all the gas in everybody's tank to wash down all the food.

If the bad weather does happen all the idiots have to get out and do stupid stuff with their trucks. Me I stay home till the roads clear

I have never understood why people react to bad weather

As for government actions as previously stated they do not want to get caught short, so I understand being proactive to get everyone off the roads.

/ My State ! #8  
The fake news stations are so used to blowing everything out of proportion, adding adjectives to the teleprompter text to pump the story up even more... it is just plain funny anymore to listen to how cold it is, 20 degrees below (or above in summer) 'normal' temperatures. Normal implies a controlled state, like when controlled by thermostat. All that they have is average temps, and not really average at that, but rather average highs and lows. Sorry, I digress.

They try to get viewers to stay with them, so they pump up a story 4 or 5 times that they are telling later and by then there is nothing left to tell. People think that someone making barely more than minimum wage reading a prompter is somehow a weather genius.

/ My State ! #9  
Here it seems makes to make no difference whether roads are bare or there's 6" of snow. People still try to drive at the speed limit. For most of us who live in snow country we are used to weather changes and adjust our travel needs accordingly. Most times, schools don't close but delay opening for a couple hours to give road crews time to clear the roads.

/ My State ! #10  
It's just as bad here in the STL area, kenmac. We get snow every year, sometimes quite a bit. You wouldn't know it, though, by the reactions to it. And, the local media seem to delight in playing up the fear. We had our first accumulation yesterday, about 1-1/2" at most. There were schools closed all over the area. I remember back in the '70s & '80s having school canceled twice between Kindergarten and HS graduation. Once was a severe ice storm that sent us home early from grade school, and the other was four days off in high school after The Great Blizzard of '82 when we got 28" overnight. Other than that, we went to school. Period. I find it ridiculous how quickly districts call off these days.

Seems appropriate:

Attachments

• uphill-both-ways.jpg
    uphill-both-ways.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 195