Looking for new dog

/ Looking for new dog #1  

orezok

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
Our Golden Retriever crossed the Rainbow Bridge back in September. Given a little time to adjust, it is now time to look for a new dog. The last 2 dogs were purebred Goldens raised from puppy and living 14 and 13.5 years. We are getting older and think it might be too much for us to start with a new puppy (and maybe unfair to the puppy).

We decided to look for a rescue and are fairly open to a large dog breed. The first 4 shelters we went to we noticed that more than half of their dogs and up to 3/4 are pit bulls or pit bull mixed. I have no problem with any dog in the right home with the right training, but I fear that many of these dogs will never find their forever home.

Most of the shelters we visited were "no kill" and I fear that the pits will spend the rest of their lives in a cage.

/ Looking for new dog #2  
Or they'll get shipped to less "left" places, where people aren't so predisposed to hate on them...

We recently had a little pup hanging around with a hurt front foot. He was the cutest little brindled fella, with floppy ears. None of the neighbors claimed to have seen him before, and he spent two nights with us before disappearing while we were out one day. We weren't locking him in when we left, for fear that someone would come looking for him... He was well fed.

Found out the next weekend that someone saw him wandering up by the road, and called him in. The shelter has him now, and they chose to amputate his leg. Evidently it had at one time been broken in several places, and had healed badly... His tail has some kinks by the end that are also due to it being broken. Rough life for a 5mo puppy... He has the blocky head of a pitt, so he's a mix of some sort. I think we're going to foster him if nobody takes him in a week or two... We said these were our last two dogs, and they're 11/12 now, but he was just such a nice cute little fella... He deserves a good home!

I'd encourage you to visit the shelters and take a few dogs for a walk and spend time with them. Both of our current dogs were shelter dogs, and they've been the BEST dogs. My dad is on his 3rd pure golden, and they've averaged 8 years for him... You're extremely blessed to have had yours live so long!!

Good luck in your search!!

/ Looking for new dog #3  
Our Golden Retriever crossed the Rainbow Bridge back in September. Given a little time to adjust, it is now time to look for a new dog. The last 2 dogs were purebred Goldens raised from puppy and living 14 and 13.5 years. We are getting older and think it might be too much for us to start with a new puppy (and maybe unfair to the puppy).

We decided to look for a rescue and are fairly open to a large dog breed. The first 4 shelters we went to we noticed that more than half of their dogs and up to 3/4 are pit bulls or pit bull mixed. I have no problem with any dog in the right home with the right training, but I fear that many of these dogs will never find their forever home.

Most of the shelters we visited were "no kill" and I fear that the pits will spend the rest of their lives in a cage.

You might want to give petfinder.com a try. That's how I came across our last dog, a purebred schnauzer 5 month old male puppy. If you're picky about breed, gender, age etc. it might take a little patience but if you keep checking you may find exactly what you want like I did. You can search as wide of a geographic area as you like from local out to nationwide, plus you can add your preferences for age, gender, breed etc. The narrower your search criteria the longer it will likely take. They include listings from most rescuse agencies, breed specific rescuse outfits, pounds etc. so you're looking at much larger group. Celebrating 2 Years of Pet Adoption - Petfinder

/ Looking for new dog #4  
less "left" places,

So now a dog breed is also a political choice?

/ Looking for new dog #5  
If looking for a laid back rescue;I would look for a lab or lab mix.More inclined for a mixed breed as long as the other half wasn't Pit.Pure bred labs recently have had a lot of health problems and some are high strung field trail dogs so a mix may be a better choice.Love labs ;had them for 30+ years and they make great family/house dogs.
Our current dogs are all pointers;German Short-hairs and English pointers;great hunters but a little hyper for house dogs(all of ours are in the house).

/ Looking for new dog #6  
My pit is the most loyal dog I ever had.
They will defend the pack ( mom and dad)with great intensity. Unneutered males cause most problems
Pits love to snuggle and be loved on.
With good training I have zero problems

/ Looking for new dog #7  
You might like to try a "rescue" organization instead of a shelter. Try a google search like the one below

Google

/ Looking for new dog #10  
My wife and I have had a lot of success with Cesar Millan and his teaching. He has books, videos and a few tv shows. The important thing for you guys it to find a dog that matches your level of energy. No sense getting a dog that needs a walk every day if that isn't your reality. It's hard to find bad dogs but easy to find bad owners- I have no issues with specific breeds. Once you understand your needs and life style you will able to narrow down your choices.