Any Anvil collectors here ?

/ Any Anvil collectors here ? #1  

kenmac

Tractor
McCormick CX105 Kubota MX 5100 HST, Kubota ZD1021, Kawsaki Mule 4010 trans 4x4
Came across a pretty cool Anvil today. Don't know much about Anvils . Did a little research on the one I bought ,and it was interesting.So, I thought I would ask.

/ Any Anvil collectors here ? #2  
I think a friend who bought one, told me, the good ones have a certain ring to them.

/ Any Anvil collectors here ?
I don't know anything about them.
I had taken a load of scrap to the scrap yard I had laying around .
While at the scrap yard. I noticed an anvil someone had brought in for scrap. I told the worker that I would like to have an anvil. He said you wanna buy the anvil ? I said if it's not too much I may be interested. He said he would weight it ,and let the guy in the office know when I went to pick up my money for the scrap.
I went to the office , they clerk there paid me for my scrap, and said that anvil will be $27.00 if I wanted it. I said sure. I paid him and left.
When I got home, I thought I would see who had made the anvil.
The name on the anvil is M&H Armitage mousehole forge. It weights 135 #
Long story short. It was hand made in Sheffield England in 1879 ! I think I got a good deal at $27.00

/ Any Anvil collectors here ? #4  
While at the scrap yard. I noticed an anvil someone had brought in for scrap. I told the worker that I would like to have an anvil. He said you wanna buy the anvil ? I said if it's not too much I may be interested. He said he would weight it ,and let the guy in the office know when I went to pick up my money for the scrap.
I went to the office , they clerk there paid me for my scrap, and said that anvil will be $27.00 if I wanted it. I said sure. I paid him and left.
Long story short. It was hand made in Sheffield England in 1879 ! I think I got a good deal at $27.00
Heck yeah! I use a big old vice for my anvil that has so much paint on it I don't know the brand or country. Someday I need to sandblast it and clean it up. My FIL got it for me 30 years ago at a garage sale. Maybe a treasure but more likely a cheap old foreign guy but it sure is heavy.

/ Any Anvil collectors here ? #5  
I know little about anvils - except, generally speaking, they are heavy. Years ago we were out & about, geocaching. The wife & I walked about two miles into a geocache site and there in the remains of an old building was a LARGE anvil. I wanted it but would have had to have been there with my ATV because it was too heavy to lug back out. I've always thought about going back and getting it, but never got around to it. Such is life.......

/ Any Anvil collectors here ? #6  
Old anvils, if they are not spalled (chipped) or cracked are just as good as new ones and are are in big demand by blacksmiths, knife makers etc. New good anvils in 125-150lb range anywhere from $500-$1000. So yeah, you got super deal. If you strike the face ( flat part) of the anvil with a ball been hammer it will ring like a bell if it is not cracked/damaged. If sound is flat or face is badly chipped or parts are missing then depending on damage ( some can be repaired) it will be worth considerably less. Check CL in your area - blacksmiths hunt for these things.

/ Any Anvil collectors here ? #7  
I have one I bought at an auction, always wanted one. My dad used it more than I did before I repoed it and made a stand for it. It's in our shop at home. It is heavy. I paid $175.00 for it. I see them at tractor shows sometimes and they are north of $300 depending on how big they are.

/ Any Anvil collectors here ?
Old anvils, if they are not spalled (chipped) or cracked are just as good as new ones and are are in big demand by blacksmiths, knife makers etc. New good anvils in 125-150lb range anywhere from $500-$1000. So yeah, you got super deal. If you strike the face ( flat part) of the anvil with a ball been hammer it will ring like a bell if it is not cracked/damaged. If sound is flat or face is badly chipped or parts are missing then depending on damage ( some can be repaired) it will be worth considerably less. Check CL in your area - blacksmiths hunt for these things.

Funny, I have really given anvils any thought until I got this one. LOL
From what I understand, there were at least two different types of anvils made. Some were made for in town use, and were made to be quiet when struck. Some were made for out of town use ,and would make a loud noise when struck.
I believe this one was made for in town use, as the body is made out of wrought iron with a steel horn and top/face
Here's some info on the one I bought The ABANA Forums: Dating Your Mousehole Forge Anvil

/ Any Anvil collectors here ? #10  

Lucky SOB! They had no idea what they had.