Worth Replacing Laptop Hard Drive?

/ Worth Replacing Laptop Hard Drive? #1  

ultrarunner

Epic Contributor
SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
Tractor
Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 and RTV900 with restored 1948 Deere M, 1949 Farmall Cub, 1953 Ford Jubliee and 1957 Ford 740 Row Crop, Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer 50 assorted vehicles from 1905 to 2006
I suspect my ACER hard drive is going out because my keyboard has started to freeze or simply go to the black screen of death.

When this happens there is not even a flicker from the Hard Drive indicator.

All functions stop except I can insert a CD and hear it spin... but that is it and the fan.

Disconnect the AC Power or Internet make no noticeable change.

Windows 7 about 6 year old machine.

When it was brand new I took on a trip and the hard drive was replaced under warranty. Last week I took it to Washington with me and that is when it started acting up...

I'm typing fast before it crashes...

All anti virus scans show all is good... cleaned out the catche and run Google Chrome but it happens with Explorer 9 too.

/ Worth Replacing Laptop Hard Drive? #2  
If you've a good backup and can easily afford a $300 machine I'd say no.

My 3yr old 11" Acer hard drive died in early January, previous experience showed replacing hard drive was not cost effective anymore.

Bought the present HP 15.5" notebook w/ 1TB HD, 6GB Ram, DVD R/W for like $300.

/edit - note "list" was $490 but it went on sale at staples for $300.

Last edited:
   / Worth Replacing Laptop Hard Drive? #3  
Acer laptops are pretty inexpensive, relatively speaking. If you can do the work yourself, it might be worthwhile. Repair (including parts) should not, IMHO, exceed to cost of a replacement laptop.
Also, you'll have to reload all your applications, including the OS.

Any idea how you'll recover the data on your failing HD?

/ Worth Replacing Laptop Hard Drive?
Tried to respond 3 times and it froze... only way to force off by holding the power key.

Owned 3 computers in my life...

Apple //e cost $3000 with software, printer, hard drives.

Dell Win 98 cost $2200 with above

Acer Win 7 cost $199 with Home Edition package... simply did not want to buy expensive software again

Acer Hard drive online is about $40

Never transferred data from one computer to another... this is why the Apple //e and Win 98 are still available.

The most reliable to date is my 1981 Apple //e... works like a charm and never failed in any way!

/ Worth Replacing Laptop Hard Drive? #5  
IF it is in fact the disk drive that is bad then maybe it would be worth doing, but there are other things that could be the cause (most of them built into the motherboard). The big issue in replacing a laptop hard drive is getting everything moved from the original drive to a new one. You might be able to clone the existing drive, but at best that is a PAIN to do! More likely it will require a complete re-install of everything because a failure during the clone operation would screw up the new drive.

/ Worth Replacing Laptop Hard Drive? #6  
Kill it, buy new whatever, start over from scratch. Do it before your drive locks up for good.

/ Worth Replacing Laptop Hard Drive?
Are there better laptops when it comes to durability?

I know law enforcement and building inspectors use mil grade laptops... but I imagine they would be costly?

Google Chrome Restore Page feature does let me go to a post in process and pick up where I left off.

/ Worth Replacing Laptop Hard Drive? #8  
My laptop showed similar symptoms. Turns out the battery was going bad. Even though the charge fraction was staying over 50%, a new battery (ebay) completely solved my problem. Charge shows 100% all the time when hooked up to A/C power. The laptops usually run off the battery all the time, with A/C charging going on continually. So when the battery STB, so do all the functional parts.

/ Worth Replacing Laptop Hard Drive? #9  
I've had Dell, HP and now Apple. All I can say is when its their time - they WILL go. I've had the best luck with this Apple. Only down side - many apps are not Apple compatable - but its getting better.

Another advantage - I'm using an iMac - desktop computer. I think a notebook or laptop can be subject to a lot more bumps, knocks, jarring etc.

I just got off the Dell mil grade laptop site. To configure a mid-point(half way between low end and top of the line) laptop - $4995. I think I can learn to live with my Apple.

From a quick look see at the Dell site - mil grade is superior resistance to shock, water, dust, sand, moisture but still uses the same internal components.

/ Worth Replacing Laptop Hard Drive? #10  
Are there better laptops when it comes to durability?

I know law enforcement and building inspectors use mil grade laptops... but I imagine they would be costly?

Google Chrome Restore Page feature does let me go to a post in process and pick up where I left off.

You pays your money you take your choice.

I used to run about 4 desktops at home, I'm a tech geek and had programs I used at work which required MIPS. And they all ran on mil grade laptops. About 10 years ago I started transitioning to laptops as I went into retirement and laptops got better. Now a basic laptop runs my GIS software fine.

The difference between a mil grade laptop and a run of the mill laptop is usually how far you can drop it, how wet you can get it. how dirty you can get it and cost.

I used to have a "stable" of about 30 Panasonic Toughbooks, used for training courses. We'd take them out in the cold and rain. They cost about $5,000 each. My $300 laptop PLUS a Ziploc Big Bag (at 5 for $6) is just as waterproof, or better.

I can depend on getting a laptop for $300, make good backups and swap out machines every once and a while.