HVAC System 20 Years Old, Time to Proactively Replace??

/ HVAC System 20 Years Old, Time to Proactively Replace?? #1  

NY_Yankees_Fan

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX 2200
Our heating system is a natural gas forced hot air system with a 15 year old AC condenser. It is operating with no problems, I had the system inspected and the technician said the heat exchanger is fine. I just purchased the home so I have no knowledge on the history of the system. It has an efficiency of 80% with a single stage blower. We spend most winters away from the home.

Here is my concers/comments.

1. Should I replace the system now before I have problems. I would go with a high efficiency 98% unit as well as the AC condenser. If I am away and the system fails I would have to make repairs remotely and pay $$$ for the emergency service.
2. The ductwork is old I am thinking 50 plus years old, the house was constructed in 1928. I would have the entire system evaluated to make sure the ductwork is adequate in size. It is all exposed in the basement and accessible. All of the ductwork is exposed metal, thinking insulation would help.
3. We plan to be in the house for at least 20 years.
4. I upgraded the attic insulation to R49, all windows have been replaced with high efficiency units. The walls are not insulated since with exterior brick it would not make sense to spend the $$$.
5. I would like to add a humidifier and electronic air cleaner if I upgrade the system.
6. I have a 2nd floor bedroom about 150 sq. ft. which is rarely used, perhaps 10-15 days a year. I would like to zone this off from the rest of the home, is this possible?

This my 1st experience with hot air system all other homes had a hot water baseboard system.

So replace or wait for it to break? Should I consider any other upgrades?

Thanks
Tom

/ HVAC System 20 Years Old, Time to Proactively Replace?? #2  
My heat pump was installed in 1979, during the home construction.

Efficiency? I have several neighbors with similar age homes, most of them have replaced the system.
We compare electric bills,, my energy usage is within a couple percent of theirs.

I see ZERO chance that energy savings will pay for replacement.

My system will be dead,, and not repairable,,, before I replace it.

Spend the $10K on something you can enjoy,, like another tractor,,,, :thumbsup:

/ HVAC System 20 Years Old, Time to Proactively Replace?? #3  
I'm in a similar boat. Just bought a house built in 1992 with an original all electric heat pump. Considering a full replacement while we are doing renovations, but if we wait there's nothing lost in terms of how the pieces fit. We won't be moving for a few months so there's time for whatever we decide. I tend to prefer making changes on my schedule, not on an emergency basis.

/ HVAC System 20 Years Old, Time to Proactively Replace?? #4  
I wouldn't replace it until needed.The problems I have seen were the super high efficient units......too complicated.Lots of early cracked fire boxes in the natural gas units.

/ HVAC System 20 Years Old, Time to Proactively Replace?? #5  
I bought my first house in 1984 , natural gas with a/c . it was 10 years old when I bought it . Furnace is in a crawl space . I was always dreading replacing it . I knew 1 day that time would come . Fast forward to Dec of 2016 , the tenant calls about a heat problem . The furnace bit the dust . Thats 42 years later , I had to do minor repairs in that time , nothing major . So 2 days of digging out a tight crawl space by hand to replace the unit , I have a new gas furnace and AC unit .

If it aint broke , dont fix it

/ HVAC System 20 Years Old, Time to Proactively Replace?? #6  
I bought a house in 1989 that had the original gas furnace. Decided I'd replace it when something went seriously wrong. I lubed the blower motor and replaced the belt occasionally, but it was still fine at 43 years old when I finally decided to take advantage of a tax energy rebate deal. Those old low efficiency furnaces were made to last.

/ HVAC System 20 Years Old, Time to Proactively Replace?? #7  
I replaced my 17 year old one and it was the best thing we ever did.

Our propane guy thinks we have someone else coming to fill the tank since we are paying less than half the propane cost after a year.

We got a high efficiency Lennox with an air to air heat pump and propane backup to replace propane only. Above 32 it is all heat pump. Our electric bill actually went down during heating season probably due to the variable speed fan. This is the first year we ever left the AC on all summer and the summer electric bill also went down.

Even if we didn't save money the system is nearly silent and comfort is a huge step forward. We'd get a 3-5 degree swing on the old system. On this one when you set it to 70 it is always exactly 70. The heat pump is under the back deck where the two AC compressors for the old system were. We are so happy to have our deck back since the noise and heat from the old systems prevented using it.

/ HVAC System 20 Years Old, Time to Proactively Replace?? #8  
I have a mid efficiency Hunter forced air oil furnace. It constantly (cleaned and evaluated every year) passes at 85% efficiency.It gets a new nozzle every year and a new fan belt too.
I got it in 1995.
If it aint broke, don't fix it.

/ HVAC System 20 Years Old, Time to Proactively Replace?? #9  
I replaced my 20 yo oil boiler a year ago last October. I wanted to replace it in warm weather rather than having to replace it in 20 degree weather.

/ HVAC System 20 Years Old, Time to Proactively Replace?? #10  
Tough call...

My first home vintage 1922 had it's original central gas heat and it is still never misses a beat.

In Washington, I have had lots of issues with both Heat Pumps... the New one that went in just before I bought in 2005 and the entire new one I had put in 2015...