Plan on Visiting Hawaii For The First Time Suggestions?

/ Plan on Visiting Hawaii For The First Time Suggestions? #11  
I've been to Oahu, Hawaii and Kauai. I spent most of my time on Oahu up on the north end and out of the city. Cities suck, no matter where they are they are all the same.

Kauai was kinda slow but I was limited to Barking Sands for the most part. I was way slow back then but they don't call it the garden island for no reason.

I probably had the most fun on the big Island. Spent some time in Hilo but it rains a lot there so be prepared for that. It also rained on the Kona coast but not as much but it is more touristy than Hilo. Don't miss the lava fields.

A rental car while on the islands and fly between them. Inter island flights are cheap and plentiful so coming and going among the islands is easy.

You might want to look into scuba diving if you're in decent shape. You can probably find a decent resort course that can get you into it quickly and for not much money.

Helicopter tours are pricey but a little bit of fun if you have the money to toss but skip the uber touristy group luaus and such. Basically if it starts with a bus ride, skip it.

/ Plan on Visiting Hawaii For The First Time Suggestions? #12  
Few years back I won airfare for 2 to Hawaii.
We spent 2 weeks visiting and like U beaches were not a priority.
\We visited 4 of the 5 islands.
There are many many very interesting sites to visit, caves, plantations, arboreal forests, volcanoes (Big Island) + black sand beaches,
We rented a car that had all island usage at great rate, i.e. you advise that you will be at X on Wed and a car awaits U at the same weekly rate.Also I had a rider on my insurance that meant that I could refuse the 'optional coverage'. (any traveler should have this, costs peanuts, after all U can only drive one car at one time)
We landed on Oahu but booked departure from Big Island all at same rate thus saving an inter island additional 'hop'.(if that option is still available)
We used an old outdated Michelin guide book simply to have names and tel#'s for B&B's and that worked out great.
Remembering that we had free airfare we still got away with $1500. (or so) for 2 weeks including tons of tourist sites, car, food accommodation and souvenirs.
My ploy was Holliday Inn first night and use the phone from there on in to book B & B's as we went forward.(using Michelin Guide for the TEL#'s
Heck I even did some SCUBA diving.
On one location that was a time share facility we even lucked out in that an owner was on site and there was a fabulous impromptu party that was memorable.
I almost even purchased a time share as we liked it so much, sanity prevailed as we are in Montreal and great air fares from the east cost are simply non existent, from west coast they are very abundant.
I have often commented that Hawaii is kinda like west coast Florida to tourists and retirees

Go and visit, you'll really enjoy that time.

/ Plan on Visiting Hawaii For The First Time Suggestions? #13  
My wife and I bought a week at timeshare on southern shore of Kauai in the 80s, went a bunch of times, bought a second week, went a few more times, ended up selling timeshare due to high maintenance fees (hurricanes took their toll). My wife and 2 of 3 daughters went to Honolulu for school trip and then my wife and I went back to Kauai in 2013 and again in 2016. We rented unit north of airport on Kauai (in Kapaa) and traveled to beach on south shore daily to snorkel and walk. We also visited north shore, went to end of road on each trip. Kauai is our favorite and has changed alot in 30 years but still enjoyable. We like to talk to locals and avoid much of the tourist sites...

There are many things to see, many options for housing (we rented the last two times from Krellers getaway for example). We live on west side of US so we would rather go to Kauai than Florida (shorter flights and better beaches).

/ Plan on Visiting Hawaii For The First Time Suggestions? #14  
I like Maui the best. The Kaanapali Beach area has amazing beaches, and there are some lovely snorkelling and scuba diving spots. The old historic whaling town of Lahaina is quite something, and Maui also has an absolutely amazing Aquarium. Eat at Gerrard's at The Plantation Inn in Lahaina - it is the best restaurant in all of Hawaii.

If you go to Oahu make sure you spend a WHOLE day at the Polynesian Cultural Center - the after dinner stage show is to die for! And also see the Bishop's museum in Honolulu.

Also, I would read the book "Hawaii" ahead of time, as it will really enhance your subsequent visit.

/ Plan on Visiting Hawaii For The First Time Suggestions? #15  
I like Maui the best. The Kaanapali Beach area has amazing beaches, and there are some lovely snorkelling and scuba diving spots. The old historic whaling town of Lahaina is quite something, and Maui also has an absolutely amazing Aquarium. Eat at Gerrard's at The Plantation Inn in Lahaina - it is the best restaurant in all of Hawaii. If you go to Oahu make sure you spend a WHOLE day at the Polynesian Cultural Center - the after dinner stage show is to die for! And also see the Bishop's museum in Honolulu. Also, I would read the book "Hawaii" ahead of time, as it will really enhance your subsequent visit.

Maui also has the beatiful Iao Valley with lovely flowers and trails, and one morning you can go watch the sunrise at the top of Haleakala Crater and then bike down the mountain (coasting all the way.)

/ Plan on Visiting Hawaii For The First Time Suggestions? #16  
We went to Hawaii about 40 years ago. It was summer and was nice but also very hot & humid. Visited the three big islands - one week on each - rented an open top Jeep - burned the cr+P out of my knees - wore shorts, no sun tan lotion on my knees. Booked our own flight - enjoyed every minuet of it.

/ Plan on Visiting Hawaii For The First Time Suggestions? #17  
We have been to 49 states with Hawaii the last one! We are retired so time is not a concern so with that a few questions.

1.How long would spend on the islands to get a great feel for the place, a month, 2 weeks?
2. What month is a good month, less crowded and better weather?
3. We are not beach people, or play golf, but love gardens, history, hiking, museums, etc. So what are the must do on the islands?
4. Did visit all the islands if so which was your least favorite and or not worth the time.
5. How did you get from one island to another, fly, ferry?
6. Did use a travel agent or book it yourself?

Thanks
Tom

Been to Hawaii maybe 5 times. First 2 times was when I was in Vietnam. We just booked hotels and rental cars on our own. Seemed to be always good weather when we went. There is a typhoon season. Should be able to look it up to avoid it.

All the islands have their own appeal. You could easily spend a week to 2 weeks on each one except for the couple very small ones.

I'd avoid the condos and stuff on Mauii on the Lahaina side. Lahaina was nice in 1969 but by around 1980 it was a mess. Try to get a place on the other side.

You get to each island by flying. They're a long ways apart.

Just check out the brochures at your hotel or B&B and drive to them. That's what we always did when we went to Hawaii, New Zealand, Australia, Seychelles, St. Martin, St. Thomas, Tahiti, etc.

Ralph

/ Plan on Visiting Hawaii For The First Time Suggestions? #18  
Visit Shep Gordon!

mark

/ Plan on Visiting Hawaii For The First Time Suggestions?
Wow TBN does it again, what a wealth of knowledge, thanks for sharing very much appreciated.

What we are thinking to cut down on the 10 hour plane ride from Philly is to stop in California for a few days going out and coming back. Hoping LAX does NOT have the lowest fare, hate LA, sorry for the folks in LA. Went to AAA and got the maps and tour books to start the planning process. With the comments here that should help the planning. Thinking our trip will be September/October 2017.

Thanks again

/ Plan on Visiting Hawaii For The First Time Suggestions? #20  
You could probably stop over in San Diego, San Francisco, Portland, or Seattle to avoid LA.

Bruce