Plan on Visiting Hawaii For The First Time Suggestions?

/ Plan on Visiting Hawaii For The First Time Suggestions? #1  

NY_Yankees_Fan

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX 2200
We have been to 49 states with Hawaii the last one! We are retired so time is not a concern so with that a few questions.

1.How long would spend on the islands to get a great feel for the place, a month, 2 weeks?
2. What month is a good month, less crowded and better weather?
3. We are not beach people, or play golf, but love gardens, history, hiking, museums, etc. So what are the must do on the islands?
4. Did visit all the islands if so which was your least favorite and or not worth the time.
5. How did you get from one island to another, fly, ferry?
6. Did use a travel agent or book it yourself?

Thanks
Tom

/ Plan on Visiting Hawaii For The First Time Suggestions? #2  
Going to Hawaii, but not being beach people is like going to a Yankee game but not liking baseball.
Not to worry though, you will still love the islands, they are beautiful.

I would suggest going for at least two weeks, and island hopping to three different island. Oahu, Kauai and Maui would be my suggestion. Island hopping by plane is fast and not too expensive. Any time of year is fine, but we like to go in the spring, before all the schools let out for summer.

Envy you, it's a beautiful place,you will be glad you will love it.

/ Plan on Visiting Hawaii For The First Time Suggestions? #3  
I went there on a free, economy cruise. We had one day to explore, then had to return to the troopship.

So, in my experience, one day isn't enough. :)

Bruce

/ Plan on Visiting Hawaii For The First Time Suggestions? #4  
Go the the "Good Morning Thread" here in "Rural Living". One of our posters, Sodamo (David) lives in Hawaii. You can probably get the inside scoop from him also.

/ Plan on Visiting Hawaii For The First Time Suggestions? #5  
I was Stationed in Hilo Hawaii for three years. I was executive Officer on board a Coast Guard patrol boat out of Hilo. I've seen every inch of Hawaii from south point to French frigate shoal. Never got to set foot on Niihau, wish I had. If you are interested in WWII history you will have to see Oahu. Go see the USS Arizona and museum there, be prepared to be choked up. Honolulu is just a big city, avoiding it is good. Hike diamond head and see Kaneohe Bay. A visit to cultural museum will give you the history of the pacific and all of Hawaii. If you really want to make an exception on the beach thing snorkel Hanauma Bay, it's flat calm and the fish are right there in your face, can't get any easer. That's it on Oahu. Almost everything else is found on the "big island". I think Maui and Kauai are boring, not mush there, and what's there is all bigger and better on Hawaii. The big island list; Hilo is old Hawaii, flowers, gardens not many tourists, slow not very developed. As a white you'll stand out there but the locals are very friendly. Go to fish market auction in the morning. You may never want to leave. It's rainy and very green. I'd get a good tourist guide to the big island and see it all, you'll need a week and a good rental car, an SUV. Go over saddle road. Good luck. PM me if you like.

/ Plan on Visiting Hawaii For The First Time Suggestions? #6  
I was Stationed in Hilo Hawaii for three years. I was executive Officer on board a Coast Guard patrol boat out of Hilo. I've seen every inch of Hawaii from south point to French frigate shoal. Never got to set foot on Niihau, wish I had. If you are interested in WWII history you will have to see Oahu. Go see the USS Arizona and museum there, be prepared to be choked up. Honolulu is just a big city, avoiding it is good. Hike diamond head and see Kaneohe Bay. A visit to cultural museum will give you the history of the pacific and all of Hawaii. If you really want to make an exception on the beach thing snorkel Hanauma Bay, it's flat calm and the fish are right there in your face, can't get any easer. That's it on Oahu. Almost everything else is found on the "big island". I think Maui and Kauai are boring, not mush there, and what's there is all bigger and better on Hawaii. The big island list; Hilo is old Hawaii, flowers, gardens not many tourists, slow not very developed. As a white you'll stand out there but the locals are very friendly. Go to fish market auction in the morning. You may never want to leave. It's rainy and very green. I'd get a good tourist guide to the big island and see it all, you'll need a week and a good rental car, an SUV. Go over saddle road. Good luck. PM me if you like.

I've been 3 times for work, only on Oahu. I did Hanauma bay - it was neat snorkeling with a sea turtle amongst other sea life. There is lots of military history if you're into that - I toured Arizona and Bowfin, there are plenty of other museums too.

As far as the beaches go - there is quite a bit of variety. It is possible to find areas that you will nearly have to yourself, with beautiful water. I'm not too into beaches either in the northeast, but Hawaii was a different story. Even just walking along the Banzai pipeline and watching amateur surfers get pounded by the waves can be pretty enjoyable.

I did like the night life in Waikiki - lots of restaurants right on the water, with plenty of good food. I also enjoyed just driving around and seeing the different landscapes, houses, etc. There are some gorgeous views. You'll also stumble across little restaurants, shops, etc which can be pretty neat.

I would think a couple weeks - the plane tickets are pricey to get there, so once you're there you'd get pretty decent bang for your buck.

/ Plan on Visiting Hawaii For The First Time Suggestions? #7  
My father in law lives in Hilo. I have visited once. We spent a day or two on Oahu the rest on the big Island. I didn't have a chance to see pearl and would like to, other than that I don't care to ever go back to Oahu. It's way too crowded for me.

The big Island is amazing. Most every climate zone on the planet is there. I could spend days exploring the volcanoes and the rivers. I also scuba dive and there's plenty of that also.

Like mentioned earlier contact sodamo. I'm sure he'll be glad to weigh in.

/ Plan on Visiting Hawaii For The First Time Suggestions? #8  
My wife booked everything over the internet. We went for 2.5 weeks, a week in a timeshare on Kauai then flew over for 1.5 weeks on the Big Island. We booked a few nights around the whole big island including a couple nights with Sodamo (David). We did everything we possible could do. Helicopter rides and boat rides on both islands... we pick those two islands since they are the least crowded. We did a ton of hiking and looking at plants. Mauna Kea at sunset was really cool.

I've done lots of traveling, 49 states, multiple times (except Rhode Island) Hawaii was my least favorite. Guess I had super high hopes about going there....

/ Plan on Visiting Hawaii For The First Time Suggestions? #9  
If money and time are of little concern; spend a week on each main island.
For me, and I've been there many times, I would for sure go to Oahu for Pearl Harbor and the Polynesian Cultural Center. Then the big island (Hawaii) for the volcanoes and waterfalls/trails. Black sands beach is cool if you can see a sea turtle on the sand.
Let us know what you decide and have fun.

/ Plan on Visiting Hawaii For The First Time Suggestions? #10  
We went 22 years ago and burned all my vacation at that time, 3 weeks. We had unlimited airplane island hopping for one price. We went to at least 5 islands at the time but would only go to 3 this time if I went. Rented a car on every stop and the price wasn't to bad, at the time. We had a very nice time on a frugal budget. Wife booked everything and made all the schedules.

We plan on going back for our 50th in 3 years if I am still around. The problem is I am a little apprehensive about airplanes over water for such a long distance.