New GMC Pickup - Was The Right Time To Trade In The 2003

/ New GMC Pickup - Was The Right Time To Trade In The 2003 #21  
Depends if you live in the south where the body and frame does not corrode or in the rust belt road salt can destroy and unprotected vehicle in less than 10 years.
Two totally different applications. The only 1995 vehicles on the road here are those annually parked in November or so prior to winter salt and are returned to the roads in March or April after a couple of spring rain storms to wash the road salt away.

/ New GMC Pickup - Was The Right Time To Trade In The 2003 #22  
Nice rig. I was contemplating getting a 2017 3/4 or 1 ton with the new duramax, but I talked myself out of it.

Current truck is a 2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ crew cab duramax with 29k miles so I've got a lot of life left

/ New GMC Pickup - Was The Right Time To Trade In The 2003 #23  
Nice rig. I was contemplating getting a 2017 3/4 or 1 ton with the new duramax, but I talked myself out of it.

Current truck is a 2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ crew cab duramax with 29k miles so I've got a lot of life left

Can't make a diesel pay anymore with the price of the option, the cost of fuel and the thousands it costs per shop visit. Let alone the nuisance of gelled filters in the winter. The 6.2 gasser makes diesel torque and diesel power without the cost and headaches. D@mmed EPA ruined the diesel with Tier IV regulations.

/ New GMC Pickup - Was The Right Time To Trade In The 2003
Not sure where you got your numbers. It is like night and day pulling a trailer. In the 2500HD the 6.0 gas motor at 360 HP and 380 ft/lb torque is no where close to the 6.6 Duramax at 445 HP and 910 ft/lb torque. With gas you also get a 4:10 rear axle ratio instead of a 3:73 rear axle ratio and a standard 6 speed tranny instead of the Allison.

The Duramax package at $10,600 MSRP included the radio with navigation, Bose speakers, engine exhaust brake, power fold trailer mirrors, and front & rear park assist plus other options so the Duramax engine only adds about $6,000 to the cost. The other options we would have added so their cost is a wash. Plus you can only get the Allison transmission and engine exhaust brake with the Duramax.

If my 03 had been a gas motor the trade-in value according to the dealer would have been $5,000 so I made my money back with the diesel plus the cost of the fuel I saved over 14 years. As far as routine maintenance I don't spend any more for the diesel than a gas motor. A visit to the dealer for service every 10,000 miles is $79.99. A gasser is $39.99 every 3-5,000 miles.

2017-04-05_17-43-08.jpg

/ New GMC Pickup - Was The Right Time To Trade In The 2003 #25  
Not sure where you got your numbers. It is like night and day pulling a trailer. In the 2500HD the 6.0 gas motor at 360 HP and 380 ft/lb torque is no where close to the 6.6 Duramax at 445 HP and 910 ft/lb torque. With gas you also get a 4:10 rear axle ratio instead of a 3:73 rear axle ratio and a standard 6 speed tranny instead of the Allison.

The Duramax package at $10,600 MSRP included the radio with navigation, Bose speakers, engine exhaust brake, power fold trailer mirrors, and front & rear park assist plus other options so the Duramax engine only adds about $6,000 to the cost. The other options we would have added so their cost is a wash. Plus you can only get the Allison transmission and engine exhaust brake with the Duramax.

If my 03 had been a gas motor the trade-in value according to the dealer would have been $5,000 so I made my money back with the diesel plus the cost of the fuel I saved over 14 years. As far as routine maintenance I don't spend any more for the diesel than a gas motor. A visit to the dealer for service every 10,000 miles is $79.99. A gasser is $39.99 every 3-5,000 miles.

View attachment 504732

But the gasser in that configuration can tow a heavier 5th wheel....

2500 Capture.PNG

/ New GMC Pickup - Was The Right Time To Trade In The 2003
I drove both. There is no comparison especially when you put a trailer behind it and hit a hill. At highway speeds the gasser was screaming due to the 4:10. The diesel does weigh more than the gasser so you lose a little payload in the truck. Not an issue for me as my payload is going to be in the trailer.

But that is why they make both so everyone gets what makes them happy. :)

/ New GMC Pickup - Was The Right Time To Trade In The 2003 #28  
But the gasser can haul more weight in the box and tow a heavier 5th wheel camper than the diesel for $6000 less?

/ New GMC Pickup - Was The Right Time To Trade In The 2003 #29  
Is the gasser going to blowup if it downshifts and revs up for a hill ? A diesel is stuck with low revs because the short duration cam grind required to allow the diesel the start also chokes off mid and high rpm performance.