AC won't work in my F-150 anymore?

/ AC won't work in my F-150 anymore? #1  

Robert_in_NY

Tractor
Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554
AC won\'t work in my F-150 anymore?

I don't know squat about Air conditioning so maybe you guys here can help me. I have a 1998 F-150 XLT 4x4 with the 4.6. My AC started fading in and out last year where some times it would blow warm air for a few minutes then cold again. Now it will only blow warm air. Is this something simple I can fix? Any ideas? Thanks.

/ AC won't work in my F-150 anymore? #2  
Re: AC won\'t work in my F-150 anymore?

Trade for a Chevy! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Seriously, it sounds like a freon issue.
Most repair places can hook up guages and tell you for sure.

/ AC won't work in my F-150 anymore?

I was hoping for something I could do myself. I have nothing against Chevy's so I won't hold that against you but if you said Dodge /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I am a Ford guy, Ford employs a lot of people I know and my Grandfather worked for them which gives me very good prices on new Fords. Hard to pass that up /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ AC won't work in my F-150 anymore? #4  

Does the AC have a sight glass? If so, most times, you can tell by looking if it's low on freon. If the sight glass shows bubbles in it, it's low. You should see nothing but liquid running through the glass. If you don't see anything, it's pretty much out of freon (compressor shouldn't be running if it's out though).

If the compressor short-cycles, it's a good indication of low on freon.

/ AC won't work in my F-150 anymore? #5  

I would venture to say it sounds like a Refridgerant issue. Since it is a 1998 it most likely has the R-134A which you can pickup at a autoparts store and put it in. Just make sure that you put it in the right spot (directions are pretty straight forward). I just know there is a high pressure side and low pressure side and you only fill it on the one side. It helps when filling it to put the can in a bucket of warm water. Also sometimes the system can get so low that the compressor won't kick on to draw the R-134A in, which means you may have to jump the compressor to get it to run (it just involves unhooking the compressor switch wire and hooking a jumper from one side to the other side.
Good luck.

/ AC won't work in my F-150 anymore? #6  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have nothing against Chevy's so I won't hold that against you but if you said Dodge )</font>

HEY!!!! My Dodge

/ AC won't work in my F-150 anymore? #7  

You can get a pressure guage to check the system pressure for only a few dollars at a Wal-Mart or a auto parts store.
Looks similar to a tire pressure guage with colors on it to let you know if the pressure is within specs.
If low you can get cans of 134a refrigerant and add until the pressure is OK.
To low the AC will not work, to high of pressure can lock up the compressor.

/ AC won't work in my F-150 anymore? #8  

Is the compressor clutch engaging? I'm going to assume you know were the compressor is /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Have someone turn it on while watching to compressor. It also wouldn't hurt to spin the clutch plate to make sure the compressor isn't locked up. You want to do that with the engine off. If the compressor turns you probably have a low charge. You can use the parts store charge kit but that is kind of inexact. R- 134A doesn't cool worth a poo overcharged so it is usually better to have someone who knows what they're doing charge it. They can also watch the gauges to check out compressor condition. The most common problem, or original problem these days seems to be evaporator core leaks. The aluminum used to build them is so thin that any build up of leaves and or other crap in the evaporator housing contacts the core and causes it to corrode through. You might also have a air blend door problem in the dash but you want to make sure your refrigerant system is in good shape and charged before you get into that.