Electric Cars: Chev Bolt seems to be the first practical one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Electric Cars: Chev Bolt seems to be the first practical one. #1  

California

Super Star Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM240 Yanmar YM186D
I saw a Chev Bolt recently at a shopping mall and realized they are now on the road. Reading about the Bolt and competitors, here's what I've learned:

All-electric, no gas engine. 238 mile rated range. Same as Tesla's base (60) model. And these two (plus the premium Teslas) are the only cars in the category of 'practical for out of town use', presently.

Bolt costs about half of the Tesla. It's a compact while the Tesla seems old-Buick size. I had thought the Tesla was attractive until I saw one parked in the city, the thing is huge relative to ordinary parallel parking on city streets. The Bolt in contrast is 30 inches shorter. That's a huge difference for shoehorning it into an urban parking space.

Bolt's most expensive option pack includes automatic cruise and braking, to fall in line behind someone else and track his speed. Useful on long freeway trips and a huge improvement for creeping along in stop and go urban rush hour traffic. Also cameras claimed to watch the lane dividers then order the steering to keep you centered in your lane if you are inattentive. Both features seem like they would take some of the frustration out of driving in crowded traffic. Probably Tesla's system is far better but due to cost and size I wouldn't seriously consider buying a Tesla at this point. Maybe in a few years when sales of the new models settle down and there isn't a waiting list ranked by how expensive an option pack you ordered. I want a car for practical use, primarily the 100 mile frequent trip between home and ranch. I admire Tesla but don't want to pay the premium they presently justifiably earn.

Charging on Tesla is much faster if you buy their home charge system. Bolt is lighter, uses a little less electricity, and its charging system isn't nearly as fast as Tesla. I'm reading in user groups that many just plug into 110 with no add-ons to home wiring and haven't bothered with the next step up, a several hundred $ home charging station that more than doubles charging speed. Another alternative is a couple hundred $ for an adapter to charge from a dryer/water heater/welder/ 220V circuit, or even to plug into two 110 V circuits that are fed from opposite sides of the 220 V main panel. These methods also double charging speed. Tesla you pay a lot of money for excellence in all aspects, Bolt owners seem to find good-enough is ok for them.

Surprisingly performance was about equal in some car magazine comparison. Acceleration, comfort on the highway and on bad roads, adequate interior space for the people. Tesla has wider seats and far more trunk space, Bolt is a small hatchback.

Charging away from home might seem like a limitation but Bolt uses the same charging standard as Leaf and everybody else except Tesla, so at least it isn't proprietary. PlugShare - EV Charging Station Map - Find a place to charge your car! claims 50,000 charging stations on their map including many shared by their members.

For my use 100 miles each way to the ranch, Bolt's over 200 mile range and some charging at each end are sufficient for my needs. I doubt I'll buy one immediately but my present fleet, Subaru and Focus, are 18 and 13 years old respectively so its time to compare what I need next.

I think we're seeing the leading edge of a new era. Has anyone here bought one?

Attached: Available and proposed all-electric automobiles. (Bloomberg)

Bloomberg electric car chart.png

/ Electric Cars: Chev Bolt seems to be the first practical one. #2  
I think we're seeing the leading edge of a new era. Has anyone here bought one?

We need engines to generate heat and I don't want to die from exposure. If I lived somewhere temperate, and didn't need to carry or haul anything substantial, I may consider an electric car given the subsidies.

/ Electric Cars: Chev Bolt seems to be the first practical one. #3  
Actually the first relatively recent practical one, the GM EV1 was killed by the oil companies.
Who Killed the Electric Car? - Wikipedia

I saw a Chev Bolt recently at a shopping mall and realized they are now on the road. Reading about the Bolt and competitors, here's what I've learned:

All-electric, no gas engine. 238 mile rated range. Same as Tesla's base (60) model. And these two (plus the premium Teslas) are the only cars in the category of 'practical for out of town use', presently.

For me that's a very limited range.

My "out of town use" is almost always at least 300 miles one way. Usually about 900 miles one way. USA is a big place.

/ Electric Cars: Chev Bolt seems to be the first practical one. #4  
I have also been following the Bolt. The Car & Driver car of the Year review got my attention. I live in a very low population dense area so I worry about service when there is a problem. Local dealer mechanics won't have a clue....

/ Electric Cars: Chev Bolt seems to be the first practical one. #5  
I have also been following the Bolt. The Car & Driver car of the Year review got my attention. I live in a very low population dense area so I worry about service when there is a problem. Local dealer mechanics won't have a clue....

I wouldn't worry about service. New cars are self diagnosing and that's easier with electric than IC engines. Repairs are just "remove and replace" now so anyone who can read should be able to repair it. It may not apply to most members of this forum, but a very large number of cars in the US are local commuter or 2nd vehicles and never need a 200 mile range. It's not attractive to me but I see a large market.

/ Electric Cars: Chev Bolt seems to be the first practical one. #6  
Comparing the electric Bolt to the same chassis with a gas engine , the Sonic. There is no way to ever break even let alone come out ahead in the cost per mile driviing in 8 years and that is with tax payer subsidizing the purchase of the Bolt .
All looks good and sounds good with social status as an environmentalist . Real worl practicality is something else.
Run the interior heat while driving through snow or slush into a head wind and range will drop to 1/4 to 1/3 of rated. 70mph on the freeway into a head wind with the AC on won't make rated mileage either .
The EV will function as a 2nd vehicle for short single person trips however cost per mile is too high.

Last edited:
   / Electric Cars: Chev Bolt seems to be the first practical one. #7  
Spare us the tin foil hat theory regarding the GM protoype test fleet of lead acid EV of years ago.

/ Electric Cars: Chev Bolt seems to be the first practical one. #9  
I didn't realize they had an all-electric car called the bolt. I thought their all-electric was the spark, but I see now that it has a gas engine. Why would you call a car a "spark" and it not be an electric car?

If I was going to buy an electric car it would have to be the volt, at least then you can recharge it on the go. I couldn't imagine having to wait for a car to charge on a road trip.

On a side note, I did notice a few weeks ago that the nearby gas station where I buy my ethanol-free gas and off-road diesel now has an electric charging station.

/ Electric Cars: Chev Bolt seems to be the first practical one. #10  
People buy cars for various reasons. Economy and/or environmental reasons are just two of them. I like electric cars. They are quiet, have great acceleration, no oil changes, brake pads last forever etc and are cheap to run. The "fuel" cost is more or less stable while the cost of gasoline or diesel is volatile. We commute several times a week about 130 miles round trip. We also make own electric power so electric car such as Bolt makes sense to us. I calculated monhly cost of electric energy for car like Bolt and our driving to about $15-20/month while cost of gasoline for a car could be anywhere between 180 to 250/month plus five oil changes per year.

Status
Not open for further replies.