22LR ammo comparison

/ 22LR ammo comparison #1  

dragoneggs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX-25D, Kubota Z122RKW-42
I started discussing the subject in another thread but decided it probably deserved a thread of its own. First time out shooting my new Ruger MkIV, I had about 10% Failure to Loads. After some sage advice from fellow TBNer, K0UA and others, I decided to lightly polish my feed ramp and try several different ammo brands/types and take good range notes and save my targets.

I shot two mags each (2x10rds) of the following ammo, each mag on a separate target:

1. Remington Thunderbolts (No issues with feed, fire, or eject)
2. Federal Target Gold Master (2 FTE's)
3. Browning BPR Hollow Points (No issues)
4. CCI Standard Velocity (No issues, quiet report)
5. Remington Golden Bullets HP (2 FTL's)
6. Gemtech Subsonic (1 FTL)

I will post pics and comments on targets in subsequent posts. Most shots were 1 to 2 seconds apart until mag was emptied or issue stopped me.

/ 22LR ammo comparison
1. Remington Thunderbolts. Purchased 500rd bulk box, very pleased with grouping. Targets out 7 yards... seemed just a little further. :D. Since I was not controlling my breathing between each shot, I attribute the errant shots to that.

IMG_9763.jpgIMG_9764.jpg

Last edited:
   / 22LR ammo comparison
2. Federal Target Gold Medal. Purchased 50rd box. 2 Failures to eject. Shell caught in port opening in both cases. Seemed a bit high/right.

IMG_9766.jpgIMG_9765.jpg

Last edited:
   / 22LR ammo comparison
3. Browning BPR Hollow Points. Purchased 100rd box. Nice plastic box w/slide open top. Since the first ammo tried (Golden Bullets HP's) were also hollow points I thought I might have trouble with these... but no issues with the BPRs.

IMG_9767.jpgIMG_9768.jpg

Last edited:
   / 22LR ammo comparison
4. CCI Standard Velocity (1070fps). Purchased 50rd box. No issues and I noticed these seemed significantly quieter than the rest. Starting to see a pattern of being off to the right.

IMG_9770.jpgIMG_9769.jpg

Last edited:
   / 22LR ammo comparison
5. Remington Golden Bullets - Hollow Point. Purchased 525rd bulk box. These are the guys I had trouble with on first visit to range and I was questioning whether it was the bullet, the gun, or me! Same problems as last time... 2 Failure to Loads. Upon examining the bullet, I was getting a dent just outside the rim of the HP. I don't like these bullets, but maybe over time the gun will break in and do better. All in all I am getting at least 10% FTL's with these.

IMG_9772.jpgIMG_9771.jpg

Last edited:
   / 22LR ammo comparison
6. Gemtech Subsonic 1020fps 42g. The rest are all 40g except the Golden Bullet at 36g. Purchased 50rd box. Will go back and look and edit if wrong. Thought these might be as quiet as the CCI's but it didn't seem like it. At least I didn't notice. One FTL.

IMG_9774.jpgIMG_9773.jpg

So, there is my grouping and comments. Look forward to anyone else's experiences with these or other ammo, especially in pistols.

Last edited:
   / 22LR ammo comparison #8  
Well...... couldn't see anything.. so I will assume the groups were awesome.?

/ 22LR ammo comparison #9  
I have 4 -22 pistols. I have a Ruger, a SW competition, a Sig Mosquito and a SW revolver. .. by far the Sig is the most picky. It absolutely 100% needs high velocity ammo and is really happy shooting CCI. The Ruger is a crap shoot. Sometimes it works, other times it's a paper weight. The SW competition also likes High Velocity and anything else will fail to discharge the casing every 2/3 rounds. The revolver will fire anything I stick in it every time.

/ 22LR ammo comparison #10  
I poked your posts so the pics would show. Hope they show for everyone....
MR