Road closed / opened

/ Road closed / opened #101  
If you have to hire a lawyer, you lose. There are plenty of "No Fee Unless We Win" lawyers willing to take the case for the injured, but you (not your insurance company because trespassing is a criminal act your insurance company will rightfully use to skate out of responsibility) are going to pay the lawyer for your defense. The "no Fee Unless We Win" lawyer will also sue the property owner and in turn the property owner's insurance company lawyers will come after you as part of their defense. The $160k to buy the property might end up seeming like a good price when you add the potential lawyer fess to the fines / jail time.

I'm reading this thread for the first time and thinking "Wow, just wow!". Someone earlier wisely suggested the OP get off of, and stay off of the property, and that in the event someone is injured by ANY debris (not just that placed by the OP) on the property it's probably to late given his actions have surely been observed by others. That was spot on advice / observation.

/ Road closed / opened #102  
Who cleared the land directly behind your house?

cleared.PNG

/ Road closed / opened
Several different people (not me) had cleared his debris off the trail over the last few weeks. His schedule must have changed (I think he rotates between nights for a quarter and days for a quarter) because Crazy Russell was working out there like crazy yesterday afternoon (I like to video it, even though I don't imagine the video has any use).

IMG_6529.jpgIMG_6528.jpgIMG_6531.jpg

/ Road closed / opened
Quick summary for the folks that don't want to read the whole thread:

On leg of the paths through the vacant ~20acres behind me is angled such that dirt-bikes, off-road vehicles, and criminals illegally dumping wind up driving right next to my fence.

I built a NEW path and put up signs on the old path, effectively saying "please use new path instead". It worked GREAT. For a while.

Random neighbor (Crazy Russell) down the street, who has no vested interest and is not impacted in any way has taken offense to the new path. He likes to walk in the field and he says the signs, sign posts, and new path is "ugly".

At every opportunity, he tears down the signs and posts and scatters debris (along with handfuls of screws and nails) to discourage people from using the new path and encourage them to use the old path (which routes them to my backyard).

Video

The new path moves the guys with the screaming 2-stroke dirt bikes from 100 feet to 200 feet (an extra 100 feet at the closest point) from my deck chair. It makes a huge difference.

The guys on the ATV's / dirt bikes like to go around in circles, like a motocross track and blast out of the corner behind me.

Nobody else using the privately owned vacant lot seems to care either way. They just use whichever path is open at the time.

New Path.png
--

Last edited:
   / Road closed / opened #105  
I still don't understand why you think you have control over land that you don't own. If it's that important buy the land, do as wish and prosecute trespassers.

/ Road closed / opened #106  
IIRC, last time someone inquired, the property was in probate and heirs 'down East' to ownership showed minimal interest in its immediate disposition.

Yes, buy the property, then pour a slab and build a pavilion right behind Russel's house. You can play Celene Dion over the fence every time you picnic there. :D

/ Road closed / opened #107  
Or just lease it for 6 months, do what you want run everybody off, fence it and be done.

/ Road closed / opened #108  
Quick summary for the folks that don't want to read the whole thread:

On leg of the paths through the vacant ~20acres behind me is angled such that dirt-bikes, off-road vehicles, and criminals illegally dumping wind up driving right next to my fence.

I built a NEW path and put up signs on the old path, effectively saying "please use new path instead". It worked GREAT. For a while.

Random neighbor (Crazy Russell) down the street, who has no vested interest and is not impacted in any way has taken offense to the new path. He likes to walk in the field and he says the signs, sign posts, and new path is "ugly".

At every opportunity, he tears down the signs and posts and scatters debris (along with handfuls of screws and nails) to discourage people from using the new path and encourage them to use the old path (which routes them to my backyard).

Video

The new path moves the guys with the screaming 2-stroke dirt bikes from 100 feet to 200 feet (an extra 100 feet at the closest point) from my deck chair. It makes a huge difference.

The guys on the ATV's / dirt bikes like to go around in circles, like a motocross track and blast out of the corner behind me.

Nobody else using the privately owned vacant lot seems to care either way. They just use whichever path is open at the time.

View attachment 547000
--

You should have also included in your quick summary that you do not own the land and both you and crazy russell are doing whatever you please on someone else's property without their permission, opening both of you up to legal liability if someone gets hurt.

Man, just buy it or wash your hands of it and stay off it until you own it or have permission to be on it and have enough insurance to cover yourself if you get sued. You're putting yourself and your family in legal danger and could lose everything you own.

/ Road closed / opened #109  
You should have also included in your quick summary that you do not own the land and both you and crazy russell are doing whatever you please on someone else's property without their permission, opening both of you up to legal liability if someone gets hurt.

Hence my post #102. Someone cleared a bit of land directly behind the ops house. OP didnt address that. I pretty sure it was'nt the easter bunny.

/ Road closed / opened #110  
So, neither guy belongs on that property, but at least we get to scold one of them ..... "keepin' it simple, we are."

I love a happy ending.

btw, I wouldn't go against the greater authority of TBN members as a whole, but I feel a bit of compassion for a guy who seeks understanding if not a nuclear option when dealing with (other?) 'uncomfortable' neighbors. We hear of such things from time to time.

"Let the idiot masses run rampant while we judge each other by their intentions!" :D