Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tractor
    05 Kioti CK30HST w/ Prairie Dog backhoe

Default Re: Tacoma engine?

BTW, the new-for-2005 4.0 liter V6 is heaps better than the 3.4 it replaces. More
    power, smoother-running, and better MPG to boot. I really like the oil filter on
    top, like BMWs.

Changing oil on my 3.4 is a PITA.

Around here, any used Toyota pickup will sell very easily, esp if it has a 4-cyl engine.
    Construction and landscape workers just love them.

Platinum Member
    Houghton MI (the Lake Superior snow belt) USA
    Tractor
    Considering a 4052r with many accessories for brushing and trail work in general. Do note, I do not own anything listed, just use or recommend purchasing.,

We are only looking at ones with the 2.7 engine.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Considering a 4052r with many accessories for brushing and trail work in general. Do note, I do not own anything listed, just use or recommend purchasing.,

Again! On Tuesday we are heading to a dealership to test drive the manual and auto tranny in a 2.7 Tacoma. This is at a different dealership and all these are 2+ hour drive from us. Is anyone interested? We can post photos and test drive impressions.

Hope everyone's summer had been nice! (northern hemisphere)

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 3016

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

I have had my Tacoma, 4 dr, PreRunner, with 2.7L for two years now. It's been a flawless, if not exciting, performer. Mileage is excellent given the size, weight, wind resistance, etc with 20 in mixed and 24 on steady secondary state highways where the speed limit of 60-65 helps the economy.

The tail ends on Toyotas are notorious soft for off road performance, which I do not do. But, when towing a small camper and the box loaded, the headlights point too far upward. The was an easy fix with an Add-A-Leaf bundled into the rear spring stack. One and done.

Our little Ford Escape with the 2.0 Ecoboost can run circles around it, get better mileage and has 100 more ponies and 100 more ft pounds of torque. I mention this only because if Toyota would have offered a boosted engine in this Tacoma it would have made it a superior driving experience in every way.

Neither the Tacoma nor current, aged Frontier can compete with the cutting edge stuff coming from Ford or GM for that matter, but I am a committed 75% of "full size" truck guy. Flat out the Tacoma is already as big or bigger than my F trucks of the 70's and 80's. What will my next truck be? It's not likely built yet, so we'll wait and see what the future brings.

Tacoma engine?-dscf1935-jpg
    BP

"Some chickens, some gardens and a Kubota."

Platinum Member
    Tractor

Well gee, guys. Thanks for the input. We test drove the 2.7 with both transmissions today and "ordered" the manual one. Both they had were the brilliant white color but we thought it was just to *&%@#* bright, so they're getting one in from another dealership that's gray in color.

Thanks to you everyone for the comments.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tacoma engine?-img_7579-jpg   Tacoma engine?-img_7581-jpg   Tacoma engine?-img_7583-jpg   Tacoma engine?-img_7584-jpg  

Tractor
    JD, Massey, Kubota, Case

Quote Originally Posted by ArlyA View Post
    Well gee, guys. Thanks for the input. We test drove the 2.7 with both transmissions today and "ordered" the manual one. Both they had were the brilliant white color but we thought it was just to *&%@#* bright, so they're getting one in from another dealership that's gray in color.

Thanks to you everyone for the comments.
    Congratulations! I was in the market for a used Taco a few months back and thought the 2.7 was the best choice and was what I wanted. I ended up with a used pristine FJ and the Toyota 4.0, also a very good engine.

Platinum Member
    Tractor

Default Tacoma in the garage

Hey folks, Yesterday one silver (they call it cement) SR model showed up here. Thanks to all who posted with their experience using them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tacoma engine?-img_8394-jpg   Tacoma engine?-img_8396-jpg   Tacoma engine?-img_8401-jpg  

Tractor
    1997 Daewoo Dsl 801

Quote Originally Posted by ArlyA View Post
    Hey folks, Yesterday one silver (they call it cement) SR model showed up here. Thanks to all who posted with their experience using them.
    I'm curious as to where your new Tacoma was assembled. I toured the plant in San Antonio, but was also informed that some are built in Mexico.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

Default Re: Tacoma in the garage

Nice find, but boy oh boy does that thing scream for some dress up wheels. LOL

Tacoma engine?-dscf2902-jpg

Tacoma engine?-dscf1935-jpg

Drop me a private message if you want some details. Again, looks like you found a nice truck. Congrats.
    BP

"Some chickens, some gardens and a Kubota."

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast