Tacoma engine?

/ Tacoma engine? #1  

ArlyA

Houghton MI (the Lake Superior snow belt) USA
Tractor
Polaris Boss 6x6 with pods (tracks) Center actuating lawn mower by Husky
We are considering a new or slightly used Tacoma truck. I see Toyota has 2 engines they offer; the 2.7, 4 cylinder and the 3.5 v-6 in these. We see darn few used ones with the 2.7 engine out there and wonder why that might be. We do occasionally tow an trailer but its weight is quite low. Is there any reason why not to get the smaller engine? thanks!

Last edited:
   / Tacoma engine? #2  
My wife owned a '97 with the 2.7 liter. It was a great truck. Plenty of power on the highway in fifth gear even with slightly oversized tires. I can't say I've heard of any problems with them, but since ours was trouble free I never researched them that much.

Another data point is that my good friend has been monkeying with his 2.7 for several years now. He's got 225,000+ miles on it currently, and is running a super charger and several other bolt on mods. It's got quite a bit of get up and go and he hasn't broken anything yet.

/ Tacoma engine? #3  
I've owned both and both were fine for utility type trailers. Neither are good for much over 1500 lbs back there without some suspension assistance. Both will struggle on hills. I used my Tacoma to haul an enclosed 6'x12' enclosed trailer stuffed with furniture and items until we could squeeze more in. The V6 towed that well enough on flats but hills were a struggle. The inline 4 in my old truck was used to pull a 4x8 utility trailer and whatever I could fit in it but it was never more than 1200 lbs. The 4 cylinder is 1800 ft lbs @ 3800 RPM and the V6 is 265 @ 4600 RPM.

The 4 gets around 22-25 mpg and the V6 got me 16 - 18 mpg.

/ Tacoma engine? #4  
I got my first Toyota a little over a year ago, (used 45k) and searched out for the 4 cyl. remembering how friends in years back had the old 22r? that was very reliable. I'm happy with it and was surprised what it would do on my first road trip though the PA mountains. I had never really stomped on it before and what it delivered impressed me!
I bought this truck for mostly "run around" service & economy, it delivers 20mpg reliably.

/ Tacoma engine? #5  
'Mericans don't buy 4-cylinders if a 6 is available, and then they start clamoring for an 8, because POWER.
I'm actually serious, of course. My wife's car came with a 3.0v6 and then they swapped to a 3.5 the next year, because it was considered too slow, though it's faster than a sports car I had 30 years ago and has no trouble merging on the highway.

If you're at all interested in the mpg and the tow ratings are workable, get the 4. The 6 will be faster, but unless you need a bit more tow rating, not necessary, unless if makes your pants feel a bit tighter.

/ Tacoma engine?
I looked through Toys MPG ratings for new ones expecting real differences between auto's/manual and of course, the 2 engines sizes. Darn, darn little. I guess the 6 speed automatic transmission are getting awful good as well. Sounds like you guys with the 2.7 are pretty happy. Thanks for all the responses.

/ Tacoma engine? #7  
You'll find lots of good info here:

4 Cylinder | Tacoma World

I'm very happy with my 2013 v6 PreRunner with the tow package. Best MPG is 21; average is around 17-18. Towing will bring the MPG down to 15.

It's a truck. :)

/ Tacoma engine? #8  
I remember Toyota shopping when they (Nissan and GMC) were the only small trucks available and noticing the 2.7 was pretty poor mpg for a 4 cylinder... the salespeople confirmed that they don't sell nearly as many. I noticed the 6 cylinder mpg was no better than a V8 in a full sized truck, and the MSRP was the same to have 1/3 less space and half the work ability, which the salesperson correlated with the downturn in small truck market. His impression was desire, easier parking, and easier traffic negotiation were the main reasons people bought small.

Last edited:
   / Tacoma engine? #9  
I looked through Toys MPG ratings for new ones expecting real differences between auto's/manual and of course, the 2 engines sizes. Darn, darn little. I guess the 6 speed automatic transmission are getting awful good as well. Sounds like you guys with the 2.7 are pretty happy. Thanks for all the responses.

The 6 speed auto is good...great...I have a 2016 Tacoma Crew Cab with the V6....I love it! Plenty of power and great acceleration...and 21-22 MPG at 70+ MPH.

I haven't towed anything yet....but I will make 2 recommendations:
Secondary roads, drop the transmission down to 5th gear (or even 4th)
Towing...same as above.

/ Tacoma engine? #10  
Im not a small truck kind of guy so I can't help you. I agree with the statement about if a larger engine is available, 'Mericans usually get the big one. LOL. My motto has always been and I usually live by getting something that is "the biggest and the best, or the fastest and the strongest." LOL I will say for sure I inherited that from my big strong uncle Dave. Love that guy...