Help me catch Houdini Coon

/ Help me catch Houdini Coon #1  

tallyho8

Elite Member
Who Dat Nation west of Westwego east of Ama south
Tractor
Kubota L4400, Kubota ZD326
This coon has been raiding my chicken coop for 3 weeks now, eating their feed and eggs and chicks. I have set multiple traps, 2 kinds of coon traps and a coyote trap and he keeps getting out.
My game cam keeps track of his escapades and shows me how he gets out and I work on my traps to prevent his escape but so far no luck.
He comes between 10 PM and 4:30 AM so I would have to stay up all night to try to shoot him and I can't do that at this time. I sure wish I had one of my old coon dogs left.
He knows where the triggers are in the 2 coon traps and is very careful not to step on them. I'm sure he knows where the trigger is in the coyote trap but the lure of marshmallows is so great that he goes in and sets the trap off anyway knowing that he can escape after.
I hate to try poisons because we have barn cats to keep the rats down and even though we have them trained not to go in the trap it is a possibility.

Any suggestions?

I have his latest video on Youtube at STC 0142 - YouTube and sorry but the video is a little dark.

/ Help me catch Houdini Coon #2  
Not knowing the law of LA....are snares legal for coon? I have seen them used before with success, as well as conibear traps (like are used for beavers). It may not be pretty, but if he sets that conibear off when he walks through it...he's gone. The trick is getting him set up in a "funnel" where he has to walk through it to get to where he's going. Again, make sure those types are legal before you try 'em...don't need to get arrested over a coon!

/ Help me catch Houdini Coon
Since many of my neighbor's dogs and cats frequently visit my barn during the night I would not use a conibear trap. I need to learn a little more about a snare to make sure it is not lethal in case I catch the wrong animal.

/ Help me catch Houdini Coon #5  
Since many of my neighbor's dogs and cats frequently visit my barn during the night I would not use a conibear trap. I need to learn a little more about a snare to make sure it is not lethal in case I catch the wrong animal.

Snares are lethal. Some snares are sold as "live catch" however the animal usually stresses and dies anyway.

/ Help me catch Houdini Coon #6  
Instead of getting trapping tips, I think I would work on making the coop more secure.

Bruce

/ Help me catch Houdini Coon #7  
He should not be able to escape the coon traps. I would wrap the bait in wire mesh, and wire it to the trap so he has to wrestle with it enough that he trips the trigger. You can add a loose marshmallow, and tie one in tight, for example. If they are the type that rely on loose rings to slide down (gravity) and lock the door, be sure to add a stake through the trap so it cannot roll over after catching the coon.
On the other hand, if you put enough bait in the coyote trap, he'll be too fat to squeeze out next time. ;)

/ Help me catch Houdini Coon #8  
I'm with Bruce then. Make the coop and barn more secure. Or, as has been stated, work on making the traps more secure. Though if he is smart, that might just scare him off.

The neighborhood dogs and cats don't give you trouble? I know the ones out here have in the past.

/ Help me catch Houdini Coon #9  
I have gone to an electric fence around my bird pens;dusk and dawn timer;only on at night.Those cuff traps do work and are safe.

/ Help me catch Houdini Coon #10  
I also use a ten mile electric fence. The lower voltage fences do not work. Also, I buried the chicken wire to stop them from tunneling under.