Golfers

/ Golfers #1  

PJSprog

Elite Member
Tractor
LS XR3135HC
I see a lot of threads about golf carts, but very little about actually playing golf. How many golfers do we have here?

I started playing about 1991, after I divorced my first wife. Many of my long-haired friends were playing, so I figured ... what the heck. I'm still not very good, but I do love playing.

Wife and I tried to play 18 this past Sunday, but decided to quit after 15. The heat and humidity were just brutal. Had steady streams of sweat pouring down into my eyes. Took all the fun out of it.

Care to share any golf stories?

/ Golfers #3  
Never could justify wasting 4 hours chasing a little ball around . Now I have been warned several times over the years that the golf carts are not off road vehicles

/ Golfers #4  
After college I played a lot.

Par 3, my buddy pulls out a 3 wood. He's 6'4 230lbs, so I asked him if he was sure he wanted to use that club. Turns out some people were walking away from the green when he teed off. We hollared "FORE" at the top of our lungs as he shanked it right going towards the people walking away. We see a person fall down. That was the longest walk I ever took I didn't even hit the shot. Guys wife apparently was hit, he put her into the cart and kept playing.

I gave up the game up north because I played a lot by myself, and it just got too crowded trying to play. 8 people on the front nine, 8 people on the back 9 at 7AM and no one would let me play through.

Best part time job was groundkeeper at the local country club. We played free when it wasn't crowded.

Hadent picked up a set up clubs in over 20 years and played in a fundraiser tournament with my father last year when he came down to visit. I was pleasantly surprised I didn't embarass myself as I though I would of. Dad is still going strong as he can sometimes golf his age and still plays 2 times a week. He complained two years ago when he was 84 that when he was golfing in South Carolina (with his buddies) that he should never of tried doing two rounds in one day because it really knocked the wind out of him LMAO.

/ Golfers #5  
I play. Rather poorly now. Lost a lot of distance due to age and a bad hip and knee that will be replaced this year. Actually keep it in play real well but can't get on the par 5's in 2 anymore.

Love the game and hope to play more one my hip and knee are fixed.

/ Golfers #6  
I don't play golf, never have, and have never had the urge. I do have a story though. I was working on a case and discussing some details with the opposing counsel. He was always telling funny stories, and he came up with this:

Young fellow, just married, was a fanatical golfer. After his new bride begging and wanting to go with him, he finally relented and took her. She was always asking questions and getting in the way. When teeing off, she stepped forward to ask a question and the ball hit her right between the eyes, killing her instantly.

The doctor doing the autopsy, came out of the autopsy room and confronted the husband, saying "Well, there no doubt, she was killed by the ball hitting her in the head. I do however, have a question. How do you explain the ball I found in her rectum?"

"Easy", the husband explained. "That was my Mulligan".

At the time, I didn't understand it so it wasn't funny. I had to ask some of my friends who do play golf, and they thought it was pretty funny.

/ Golfers #7  
Way back about 1959, a friend talked me into trying golf. He had only recently taken up the game and was incredibly enthusiastic. So he teed off, pretty nice shot down the middle of the fairway. So then I teed off, carefully keeping my eyes on the ball on the tee, as he said to do. When I hit the ball, he said, "Beautiful shot!" Of course I had been keeping my eyes on the ball until I hit it, and I never saw where it went. I asked, "Where did it go?" and he said, "Right down the middle of the fairway, way on past mine." We never found that ball. I played a few times that year, but then gave it up.

In 1989, when I retired for the first time, I was given a nice set of golf clubs and started playing again. Never was any good at it, but had a lot of fun in our RV travels, and playing different courses. My two favorite courses were Eagleglen Golf Course in Anchorage, AK, and Pipestem State Park in West Virginia. However, I haven't played the last 20 years or so. I have 2 younger brothers who still play, one of which is a fanatic, plays about 5 days a week.

/ Golfers #8  
Playing it constantly 25 years ago or so-never very good. I have only played 4or 5 times over the last 10 years. Interestingly enough, those rounds have been as good or better than when I was playing 4-5 times a week.

Will

/ Golfers #9  
Best advice anyone can get about golf is..."take some lessons from an established pro"...
learn the basics and develop skills that accentuate them...if it's not fun why bother...just going through the motions to "play golf" is no fun IMO...
Every time you improve on something it is an encouragement...

Won't be getting much sleep this week if you're keeping up with 'The Open' starting Thur...