I'm done with Levis (Rant)

/ I'm done with Levis (Rant) #1  

N80

Tractor
Kubota L4400 4wd w/LA 703 FEL
I've bought my last pair of Levis jeans. I've worn Levis 505 'regular fit' jeans since I was about 15 (I'm 54 now). Back then it was 33x34s, now it is 34x34s. For decades I could go into the store grab a few pairs of 34x34 505 regular fit jeans and they'd fit just fine. No dressing rooms. No trying stuff on....which I hate. I find something good and I stick with it. I don't wear them to work or to church but other than that I'm usually in Levis. I wear them on the farm, working on my car or to a nice restaurant with a white button down shirt and sport coat and a pair of dress boots. And that makes them, or used to make them, the perfect clothing for me. Very happy for decades.

Not anymore. I won't buy them again. Why? See below:

1) The quality has gone down. Rarely do I get a pair with straight seams. They often come apart in unstressed places. And that's just sad. They've had the formula for success for a long long time and they've apparently thrown it away. I don't know where they are made. If it is in out of the country sweat shops, that's sad for such an inherently American product. If they are made in the USA that is even sadder because they are junk now.

2) Fit. And I don't mean that the 34x34s don't fit me. The problem is that some do and some don't. And the problem varies. Some don't fit in the waist, some don't fit in the crotch and some don't fit in length. And this happens when I pick up two pairs from the same stack in the same store. There is no consistency. This is also a quality issue.

3) Price. It has gotten ridiculous. Still, I'm happy to pay it if not for the two problems above. I just can't see paying higher prices when the quality goes down.

4) Advertising. Let's just say that Levis no longer markets to my demographic and leave it at that.

5) Too many options. I can go into a store with a wall of Levis 505s and still not find my size. To many 'relaxed fit' or 'distressed' etc etc. Takes an hour just to find what I want if they even have it at all. On line isn't much better.

So, sorry about the rant but to me this is sad. A great American product, maybe one of the greatest, down the tubes. Sad. Sad. Sad. But they cannot have any more of my money. I will not reward a company for trashing a great product and charging more for it.

I may try Wranglers. I would not expect much from them but at least they cost less. I might look at Duluth Trading Company too.

/ I'm done with Levis (Rant) #2  
Yupp, i've worn 565 34x34 for YEARS and they just don't make them like they used too. I still have a pair or two from highschool (i'm 32 now) and they have a hole or two but still do the job for old pants. The new ones feel like they are half the thickness. I agree with all your points though.

/ I'm done with Levis (Rant) #3  
I've bought my last pair of Levis jeans. I've worn Levis 505 'regular fit' jeans since I was about 15 (I'm 54 now). Back then it was 33x34s, now it is 34x34s. For decades I could go into the store grab a few pairs of 34x34 505 regular fit jeans and they'd fit just fine. No dressing rooms. No trying stuff on....which I hate. I find something good and I stick with it. I don't wear them to work or to church but other than that I'm usually in Levis. I wear them on the farm, working on my car or to a nice restaurant with a white button down shirt and sport coat and a pair of dress boots. And that makes them, or used to make them, the perfect clothing for me. Very happy for decades.

Not anymore. I won't buy them again. Why? See below:

1) The quality has gone down. Rarely do I get a pair with straight seams. They often come apart in unstressed places. And that's just sad. They've had the formula for success for a long long time and they've apparently thrown it away. I don't know where they are made. If it is in out of the country sweat shops, that's sad for such an inherently American product. If they are made in the USA that is even sadder because they are junk now.

2) Fit. And I don't mean that the 34x34s don't fit me. The problem is that some do and some don't. And the problem varies. Some don't fit in the waist, some don't fit in the crotch and some don't fit in length. And this happens when I pick up two pairs from the same stack in the same store. There is no consistency. This is also a quality issue.

3) Price. It has gotten ridiculous. Still, I'm happy to pay it if not for the two problems above. I just can't see paying higher prices when the quality goes down.

4) Advertising. Let's just say that Levis no longer markets to my demographic and leave it at that.

5) Too many options. I can go into a store with a wall of Levis 505s and still not find my size. To many 'relaxed fit' or 'distressed' etc etc. Takes an hour just to find what I want if they even have it at all. On line isn't much better.

So, sorry about the rant but to me this is sad. A great American product, maybe one of the greatest, down the tubes. Sad. Sad. Sad. But they cannot have any more of my money. I will not reward a company for trashing a great product and charging more for it.

I may try Wranglers. I would not expect much from them but at least they cost less. I might look at Duluth Trading Company too.
Don't worry about trying the Wranglers. I've been wearing them for about 10 years for work (and play :) and their quality is doing the same thing. The only good pants I've had recently were Carhartts...but they are out of my "lower middle class white trash" budget.

Good luck!

/ I'm done with Levis (Rant) #4  
Generally speaking 2 pairs of Wranglers cost the same as 1 pair of Levis. At Wally World, on sale, 3 pairs.

/ I'm done with Levis (Rant) #5  
I'm glad it's not just me. I bought a pair of my size, a size I'm been wearing for 20+ years, and I could barely get them on (36x32). I laid them over a pair of older jeans and the seat and the length were a good 2 inches smaller. I think the skinny jeans phenomon has crept into normal jeans.

I have stopped buying them too...

/ I'm done with Levis (Rant) #6  
I actually prefer Wrangler over the Levi at twice the price. The Wrangler is typically lighter material which I prefer, in the summer time for sure.

/ I'm done with Levis (Rant)
The odds and ends I've purchased from Duluth have been quality. I think a lot of their stuff is aimed at more portly fellows but if I can sort through whatever sizing scheme they have I may order a pair and I'll report back on what I find.

I'm not sure the Wranglers or Duluth or others will do quite as well with the sport coat and button down, but as much as I like jeans I WILL NOT GO DOWN THE "FASHION" JEANS TRAIL. The former appeal of Levis was that they could do the work and the fancy stuff both.

/ I'm done with Levis (Rant)
So much for Duluth. Their five pocket, USA made jeans are $84. :eek:

Well, the same version but imported is $50. Sigh.

/ I'm done with Levis (Rant) #9  
Wait for the duluth stuff to go on sale! Sign up for the newsletter and prepare for an onslaught but don't buy at full price.

/ I'm done with Levis (Rant) #10  
The only good pants I've had recently were Carhartts...but they are out of my "lower middle class white trash" budget. Good luck!

If you're not opposed to second hand, try eBay. I buy all my Carhartts on eBay, get them less than half price of ya look around.