DDT & Lyme disease

/ DDT & Lyme disease #11  
95520760b626e4d05f254a9b7e9bd290--mosquito-spray-the-mosquito.jpg

The effects on humans seem to be superficial...

Hey! I think that might be a picture of me as a kid.

Ahh,,, that explains a lot..... who do I sue?

/ DDT & Lyme disease #12  
So my take is that mother nature usually wins and if we continued to use DDT to control ticks... we would most likely only kill off the susceptible ticks and leave resistant ticks to breed super ticks that could drink DDT and have no effects. :2cents: Kind of like we have done with Bed Bugs...

... and Palmer Amaranth...

/ DDT & Lyme disease #13  
What I want to know is....who is the fellow they get to hold down the deer to dust with the DDT? :laughing:

I still remember as a kid that we always had a canister of that stuff around. It would do a number on the fire ant beds. I think if it had been used for just home consumer usage and not agriculture....it would have been ok for the environment. This stuff for the fire ants now days does not do squat. They just move over a few feet and make another mound. I hate the **** things. I hear they have adapted to the cold ground in the north. Fire ants are of the devil.

Seriously, it has been really wet down here and the ticks are numerous. Those little seed ticks get on me if I go through the woods at all. About 15 years ago, my youngest son shot a buck, from the front porch (yeah, we live in the woods...he shot one off the back porch about a month later...lol) We walked down to the field where it was at and that thing was covered with ticks. It was very early in the hunting season (starts around Nov. 20th here) and still quite warm. I have never seen a deer with ticks until that day. It must have been in the hundreds, his belly was just covered in them. I took great precaution to use gloves and gutted and got the skin off quickly. Took that stuff way down in the woods for disposal. Looking back, I should have soaked it in diesel and burned it. I need to get some guinea to eat those ticks. Those birds are very noisy and the coyotes/bobkittens would probably get them anyway. I lock my chickens up at night. Would the guinea go in there with them to roost?

/ DDT & Lyme disease #16  
Like it or not - many countries outside USA still use DDT for controlling mosquitos. Many countries that produce food that is imported into USA.

/ DDT & Lyme disease #17  
Hey! I think that might be a picture of me as a kid.

Ahh,,, that explains a lot..... who do I sue?

I might not be in that picture but I sure did that when the DDT truck came through our subdivision and I was not the only kid riding a bike in the cloud. :shocked::shocked::shocked: When I moved back to FLA, they were flying DC3's over the house spraying but I think that was Malathion. I did NOT go outside and stand under the cloud. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

The planes were certainly getting better coverage than the truck sprayers. If I remember right, the DC3's were spraying to kill a citrus pest, I don't think the spray was for squeeters.

Later,
Dan

/ DDT & Lyme disease #18  
The planes were certainly getting better coverage than the truck sprayers. If I remember right, the DC3's were spraying to kill a citrus pest, I don't think the spray was for squeeters.

Later,
Dan

I don't know your age, but the spraying may have been for the Mediterranean fruit fly. I recall a major outbreak some years ago. An image that sticks in my mind is news coverage of the Florida Ag. Commissioner drinking a glass of malathion to prove its safety in the campaign against the fruit fly.

Steve

Last edited:
   / DDT & Lyme disease #19  
I don't know your age, but the spraying may have been for the Mediterranean fruit fly. I recall a major outbreak some years ago. An image that sticks in my mind is news coverage of the Florida Ag. Commissioner drinking a glass of Malathion to prove its safety in the campaign against the fruit fly.

Steve

That sounds very familiar. I do think it was the fruit fly and I remember the guy drinking the Malathion. :shocked:

Then there was a canker or some such that was killing citrus but I think that was after I left FLA. The state came into areas and cut down any tree that might be affected. The house my parents owned had a few, very productive citrus trees, but they got cut down. I hear that people are suing the state about this because the trees did not need to be cut down.

Later,
Dan

/ DDT & Lyme disease #20  
Like it or not - many countries outside USA still use DDT for controlling mosquitos...
yea, and how is that working for them?

Anyone up for transgenic mosquitoes with a termination gene?