Computer Security

/ Computer Security #1  

TN8Man

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti NX5010 CAB HST
We all have one thing common, tractors :thumbsup: But we also have another thing in common, computers (including smart phones and tablets) to communicate with our members on TBN. We maintain and protect our investment in tractors and we do the same for computers. So I was just curious what people do to protect their computers and home network from a growing threat of viruses, malware, ransomware, hacking, tracking and rogue surveillance.

I'm getting gigabit service soon and want to upgrade my router and overall home network. I have several computers and devices that I want to make as protected as reasonably possible. I want a router that is bulletproof to protect my network from bad actors and rogue intelligence agencies.

What do you do to protect your home network?

/ Computer Security #2  
What do you do to protect your home network?

Your biggest risk if you are somewhat diligent in using a home router/firewall will be yourself and other users inside your LAN! Social engineering, phishing, etc. are the biggest threat vector - simply NOT clicking on every link that shows up in your email, being somewhat diligent on what web sites you visit, and setting your PC up to use multiple accounts, one for each person which DON'T have administrator access, then unlock the Administrator account (Windows) but don't use it other than for maintenance and software install. Most all virus infections in a home LAN are self induced by user action, that is where you should place emphasis - on user education. If what you're doing now has worked, just because you increase your access bandwidth doesn't make you more or less vulnerable - it just makes that mistake of clicking a bad link in a email much faster to cause infection.

/ Computer Security #3  
We all have one thing common, tractors :thumbsup: But we also have another thing in common, computers (including smart phones and tablets) to communicate with our members on TBN. We maintain and protect our investment in tractors and we do the same for computers. So I was just curious what people do to protect their computers and home network from a growing threat of viruses, malware, ransomware, hacking, tracking and rogue surveillance. I'm getting gigabit service soon and want to upgrade my router and overall home network. I have several computers and devices that I want to make as protected as reasonably possible. I want a router that is bulletproof to protect my network from bad actors and rogue intelligence agencies. What do you do to protect your home network?
Switch to Apple. Problem solved.

/ Computer Security #4  
I'm sure I know less about computers than many of you, but I just renewed my subscription to Webroot Secure Anywhere from Best Buy.

/ Computer Security #5  
leak proof firewall...if you're really paranoid set up a proxy server...then only the proxy is actually connected to the Internet...

/ Computer Security
leak proof firewall...if you're really paranoid set up a proxy server...then only the proxy is actually connected to the Internet...

I currently use vpn servers. This is one reason why I want a new router. I want a router that I can connect to a vpn server directly (instead of by device) so that all communication through the router is using vpn.

/ Computer Security
Switch to Apple. Problem solved.

I don't think Apple computers and devices are immune to all the threats. Apple is not an option for my needs.

Last edited:
   / Computer Security
Your biggest risk if you are somewhat diligent in using a home router/firewall will be yourself and other users inside your LAN! Social engineering, phishing, etc. are the biggest threat vector - simply NOT clicking on every link that shows up in your email, being somewhat diligent on what web sites you visit, and setting your PC up to use multiple accounts, one for each person which DON'T have administrator access, then unlock the Administrator account (Windows) but don't use it other than for maintenance and software install. Most all virus infections in a home LAN are self induced by user action, that is where you should place emphasis - on user education. If what you're doing now has worked, just because you increase your access bandwidth doesn't make you more or less vulnerable - it just makes that mistake of clicking a bad link in a email much faster to cause infection.

I'm pretty good about the do's and don't on internet activity. I also keep my virus protection up to date and run boot level scans periodically. I do use the internet for all of my tv content and some content comes from outside the USA which is one reason why I use vpn. This is also the reason why I have several computers, multimedia computers for TV/entertainment content. My concerns are more towards advanced threats that are becoming more prevalent these days.

/ Computer Security #9  
About 4 years ago I ditched Norton security for "Panda Internet Security". They're a mob out of Florida and I haven't been hit with one problem/virus since I switched to them. They've got a 24/7 1-800 number (it's a 1-300 number from Aus) and I ring them up every 3-6 months to do a computer clean/spruce-up.

Military discount too... they even accepted my Australian service, verbally, for the discount.

/ Computer Security #10  
For routers we've tried several brands, models etc. We've also used dd-wrt. I settled on the Apple Airports. Easy to program (from mac or pc) and is full featured. We have a server "behind" a second router as well. I'd give the Airport a look.