Red Cross Effectiveness Providing Disaster Relief?

/ Red Cross Effectiveness Providing Disaster Relief? #31  
I voted for Shriners hospital

Thank you! You know I had polio in 1942 when they really didn't know what it was. But in 1946, I spent 6 weeks in the "Crippled Children's Hospital" in Oklahoma City and later one week for them to work on my left foot and ankle. And I can tell you that I was one of the lucky ones; not nearly as bad as many of the others in the hospital at that time.

/ Red Cross Effectiveness Providing Disaster Relief? #32  
One positive thing about the red cross is their ability to track down a military member serving any where in the world to provide death notice of a family member and provide assistance to return home if needed. Everyone dreaded the red cross message. In 21 years of Naval service, I never got one.

mark

/ Red Cross Effectiveness Providing Disaster Relief? #33  
I was on a business trip in the mid-90's. There was a short delay just before the plane left, as a man was brought on in a wheel-chair. He was not in critical medical distress, but was visibly unwell.

It turned out, he was flying to testify at the Krever commission.

Canadian Red Cross - Wikipedia

The outcome of that inquiry was that as of '98, the Red Cross was no longer responsible for Canada's blood system.

Wasting money is bad enough, but that was a whole other level of negligence....

Not the first big bureaucracy to lose track of key priorities......

Rgds, D.

/ Red Cross Effectiveness Providing Disaster Relief? #36  
My Grandpaw died when I was in Vietnam,the Red Cross did nothing to get me home for his funeral. When I worked at the V.A. we were "expected" to give to the United Way. I told them **** no for the 34 yrs I worked there....russ

/ Red Cross Effectiveness Providing Disaster Relief? #37  
I know that after one big disaster, the Red Cross took some heat because they were not applying donations to that disaster but was saving for future and they had already budgeted all they were going to spend on the current problem. Their answer did make some sense that most of their money only comes in during the major events and that they needed to have money for the day to day small events. Still, when someone wants to donate to help people of a specific event and find out that that is not the case, I can see why they would be disappointed.

Around here the Texas Baptist Men respond to many disasters.

/ Red Cross Effectiveness Providing Disaster Relief? #38  
Back in the late 40's, my parents had several friends who were WWII Veterans. One had this story, as best I recall it, about the Red Cross.

He was in Italy, a GI who had seen considerable combat. He said it was a dreary morning, raining, cold, and they were all tired, cold and hungry. He said the Red Cross had set up a booth with hot coffee and donuts. He said he waited in line for about half an hour, and when he finally got up to the both, they were charging something like 15 cents for the donuts and coffee...and of course, he didn't have a penny on him, so he had to do without. Needless to say, he was deeply bitter, and I can see why.

I heard this story somewhere about 1948 and I still remember it to this day.

/ Red Cross Effectiveness Providing Disaster Relief? #39  
Cruzer, I heard that story also.........somewhere....... a long time ago. In the early days of Blood Collection, they probably did a lot of good, but I don't know if they still work in that industry. The Lizzy Dole thing really cooled me on RC, and it did create some plum jobs for local manager/directors. But a lot of people benefit from plum government jobs as well.....I guess like a lot of big institutions.

/ Red Cross Effectiveness Providing Disaster Relief? #40  
Every thing I read about the Red Cross is negative,
Local (all states) have a CEO that draws a salary to dream of.
Celebrities that get great remuneration just to be linked to the "Cross"
AND they only want cash! Not clothing, food or whatever is really needed, just cash!
And in a recent item they stated they reserved cash donations for future needs (overhead) and not the event you donated to.
No, for me smaller more direct implicated organizations that are not greedy.
My 2 cents!