Carry permit. Would traffic stop make police be more cautious? yea or nay?

/ Carry permit. Would traffic stop make police be more cautious? yea or nay? #1  

coffeeman

Platinum Member
Hi all,

I have a grandson who went for his carry permit on his 21st birthday. Thinking about, I wondered if having permit, would cause extreme caution during traffic stop.
On the other hand maybe police might look favorably at driver if they had a permit. I am assuming on traffic stop the on board police computer may inform ,
from license tag, a brief history of the driver who owns license plate. In past grandson was stopped once and police asked for his hunting rifle. Officer took it back to his car
for a few minutes, checked it out and brought it back. Interestingly , he was issued a warning for for some small infraction. He is 22 and considering going to
school for police work. He has considered State Police, but he has an arm tattoo and that is a knock out in my state...

It's sad today after Vegas..... Coffeeman

A prayer goes out from me to the folks and I'm sure all of us here too. God bless dead, wounded & family..

/ Carry permit. Would traffic stop make police be more cautious? yea or nay? #2  
The best thing anyone can do is follow LEO instruction and inform the officer they have a CWP and either have a weapon or not at the time being pulled over.

/ Carry permit. Would traffic stop make police be more cautious? yea or nay? #3  
Shouldn't cause more or less concern for the officer. Your hands, actions and words have more to do with the response from officer- especially as they stop you and approach the vehicle.
Our municipality has a no visible tattoo policy as well. The guys just wear long sleeve shirts or compression sleeves- this is very common. If you pay attn you will see lots of folks who wear one type of uniform or another wearing long sleeves when it's warm out....now you know one of the major reasons. I doubt your state is any different. Good luck to him- difficult time to be in police work.

/ Carry permit. Would traffic stop make police be more cautious? yea or nay? #4  
Know your rights, but keep your hands in sight and obey officer. I had a traffic stop last year, kept my hands on top of steering wheel, had my license and registration ready and told him, I have a permit, but am not carrying (which I was not at that time). He took my license and registration back to his car, came back a few minutes later and let me off with warning, but also let me know my trailer lights were not working. I wiggled the connector and they came on, he was satisfied. I think the important thing is to not to do something that puts them at risk.. if I had been carrying, I would have told him and obeyed his instructions. My expectations would be he would ask where gun was, then have me exit vehicle with my hands up. He would remove my weapon, clear it, secure it and then return it to me unloaded when traffic stop concluded.

/ Carry permit. Would traffic stop make police be more cautious? yea or nay? #5  
I don't think it will make much difference. When I was a LEO about a million years ago, I considered everyone in the vehicle armed. And that was "back in the day" before concealed carry. If you treat everyone as they are armed, you won't be surprised when some actually are.

/ Carry permit. Would traffic stop make police be more cautious? yea or nay? #6  
I agree that a driver should keep his hands in plain sight if pulled over and inform the PD you have a CCW before moving your hands. The PD may or may not know you have a CCW depending on your State. I think it may be law in some if not all states to inform the PD you have it. Letting them know ahead of time can be favorable to the outcome of the stop. I have been pulled over for a minor violation and let go with a verbal warning because I informed them.

/ Carry permit. Would traffic stop make police be more cautious? yea or nay? #8  
i have had a ccw since 21 as well. i also have been pulled over 20+ times. I have never identified as having a ccw. Their systems at least in PA,MA,NY and NJ have no record of your ccw permit. i have only randomly been asked if there are guns in the car. sometimes there have been. they simply ask where they are and move on. Cops care more about your attitude then anything else.

/ Carry permit. Would traffic stop make police be more cautious? yea or nay? #9  
i have had a ccw since 21 as well. i also have been pulled over 20+ times. I have never identified as having a ccw. Their systems at least in PA,MA,NY and NJ have no record of your ccw permit. i have only randomly been asked if there are guns in the car. sometimes there have been. they simply ask where they are and move on. Cops care more about your attitude then anything else.

Little Bill...... You have to drive more carefully!! 20X

/ Carry permit. Would traffic stop make police be more cautious? yea or nay? #10  
I have been pulled over several times. I say nothing. Hand them my license, permit (if I have a concealed weapon) and insurance at the same time. Hands on the wheel. Most of the time they have been indifferent. Once I was asked to exit the vehicle (rookie) while he ran my info "for officer safety".