4 Way Stop Etiquette / Law

/ 4 Way Stop Etiquette / Law #1  

square1

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 1700 4x4 w/ FEL
Close to work is a 4 way stop intersection that is very busy on school day mornings. There is almost always 2 or 3 cars waiting from each direction during the morning rush hour.

In the image below the cars are labeled with the order 1, 2, 3, 4 that they arrive at the intersection and by law (if I remember driver's training from 40+ years ago) that is the order in which they should depart the intersection.
Cars 1 and 3 are proceeding straight through the intersection, car 2 is turning left, car 4 is turning right.
Car one will have car 2 blocked as it crosses first the open lane to it's right and then the lane car 2 occupies.
Should car 3 and / or 4 proceed through the intersection prior to car 2 if they have come to a complete stop and are able to clear the intersection prior to car 1 allowing car 2 to proceed?
523867d1507365740-4-way-stop-etiquette-law-4-way-stop-png

Attachments

• 4 way stop.png
    4 way stop.png
    19.9 KB · Views: 761
   / 4 Way Stop Etiquette / Law #2  
Close to work is a 4 way stop intersection that is very busy on school day mornings. There is almost always 2 or 3 cars waiting from each direction during the morning rush hour.

In the image below the cars are labeled with the order 1, 2, 3, 4 that they arrive at the intersection and by law (if I remember driver's training from 40+ years ago) that is the order in which they should depart the intersection.
Cars 1 and 3 are proceeding straight through the intersection, car 2 is turning left, car 4 is turning right.
Car one will have car 2 blocked as it crosses first the open lane to it's right and then the lane car 2 occupies.
Should car 3 and / or 4 proceed through the intersection prior to car 2 if they have come to a complete stop and are able to clear the intersection prior to car 1 allowing car 2 to proceed?
523867d1507365740-4-way-stop-etiquette-law-4-way-stop-png

According to my Ontario rules of thumb, the one to the right is given 'the right of way'.
But that being said, the way it works in reality is the one with the most nerve goes first, if they even stop at all.

/ 4 Way Stop Etiquette / Law #3  
If a car has a women driver, she will wait until everyone else to go before she will go. :duh:

If they all have women drivers, then no one will go! :thumbsdown:

/ 4 Way Stop Etiquette / Law #4  
EXACTLY as Looking4new indicated. As I often ride a motorcycle in the summer - I avoid these 4-way situations like the plague. I will make a right turn from any of the four lanes - I don't care where it takes me - just to get out of this impossible situation.

/ 4 Way Stop Etiquette / Law #5  
The person who gets there first has the right of way to start first. However, if two vehicles arrive at the same time, the person to your immediate right has the right of way.

/ 4 Way Stop Etiquette / Law #6  
No. Some people haven't noticed. The rules of the road have been updated.

The bigger, vehicle now has the right of way.

Trucks, school buses & motor homes, pickups, large suv's, Cadillac's, vans, small suv's, cars, small cars, loud motorcycles, and motorcycles that have legal exhost systems. In that descending order.

The exception to that is: If one of them is in a hurry, then they can claim the right of way, even when it's not their turn. They should just go, and use their middle finger, to let everyone know they are invoking this right.

If one of them is texting, or playing with their GPS, the rest should wait patently for them to finish. :rolleyes:

/ 4 Way Stop Etiquette / Law #7  
If everyone come to the intersection at the same time, I usually edge out there a few feet and then slowly go while everyone sits there twiddling their thumbs. If someone on the opposite side comes straight toward you and I am going straight, as long as he is blocking cross traffic to start with, I will cross the intersection.

If others start out before me I will patiently wait for them to clear the intersection. Many times it is guess and by golly and say a quick prayer because half the people down here don't use directional lights.

/ 4 Way Stop Etiquette / Law #8  
Regarding: "the one to the right is given 'the right of way'."

Close, but not accurate. Drivers are to "yield" the right of way to the driver on the right. No one can "have" the right of way so it cannot be taken or given.

/ 4 Way Stop Etiquette / Law #9  
You must yield the right-of-way to all other traffic and pedestrians at stop signs. Move forward only when the road is clear. At four-way stops, the first vehicle to stop should move forward first. If two vehicles reach the intersection at the same time, the driver on the left yields to the driver on the right...
Now do you want me to explain how it actually happens?
David from jax

/ 4 Way Stop Etiquette / Law #10  
If a car has a women driver, she will wait until everyone else to go before she will go. :duh:

If they all have women drivers, then no one will go! :thumbsdown:

and or wait until someone waves them through...