Death and social media ettiquette

/ Death and social media ettiquette #1  

caver

Veteran Member
Tractor
Fisher Price, toddlers first tractor.
When you find out someone has passed away, please don't be in a race to share it on FB etc. Yesterday I was an hour or two away from finding out my brother had passed away, from a well wisher cousin on FB. My mom is not online and didn't want his passing plastered on FB. She could not get ahold of me through my cell at work since I was working overtime and we get a poor signal there. I get home to ask my nieces not to post about his death and before I could deactivate my FB account the cousins post went up. I quickly deleted her post but am sure some people saw it. <off soapbox> :)

/ Death and social media ettiquette #2  
You are absolutely correct. I would never even think of posting such a personal matter on ANY social media. Likewise, I wouldn't expect to see it on any digital billboard. If you can't make contact personally or over the phone - wait until you can.

/ Death and social media ettiquette #3  
I would never even think of posting such a personal matter on ANY social media.

I agree whole heartedly, but I wonder if we aren't in the minority. I find that many people post a lot more "personal" information than I would even consider posting.

/ Death and social media ettiquette #4  
We lost our son in a motorcycle accident. He was active duty Army and Westboro Baptist were planning on protesting at his funeral. Imagine my surprise when I saw it announced on the local TV station, complete with picture! It was public information with the newspaper published obituary, but I would have thought the TV station would have done some asking of family before running something like that. I just let the issue go, it wasn't worth expending any energy on it. It did make me reconsider what I would publish in an obituary though.

Doug in SW IA

/ Death and social media ettiquette #6  
I agree whole heartedly, but I wonder if we aren't in the minority. I find that many people post a lot more "personal" information than I would even consider posting.

Minority or not,I agree whole heartly as well. Monkey see-monkey do is something I spent a lot of time on while raiseing my kids,why should I now succumb to peer pressure? A fool kneeling during the national anthem look's like a fool wherther doing it alone or with other fools.

/ Death and social media ettiquette #7  
FB is how i found out my Aunt had died, 6 months after the fact. I didn't post my father passing away of FB, either called or sent a hand written note to close relatives. I may not agree with it, but I think it is becoming a social norm to share more and more with people you have never met face to face.

/ Death and social media ettiquette #8  
I know this is about Death, but it seems to me that way too many people are forgoing any sort of personal and individual life in favor of this social media (Herd) crap. Sad. Maybe it's always been that way, but the technology to carry it to absurd levels was not there.

I was on FB for a day. One friend sent me a picture of his dinner. Another of his daughters new shoes. That was the day I left FB and haven't heard from either since. Years ago now.

Apparently law enforcement is having an increasing problem with people posting accident scenes, prior to next of kin notification.

/ Death and social media ettiquette #9  
All you guys have listed most of the reasons I don't belong to FB, Twitter etc, etc. An awful lot of the "info" people exchange now-a-days is stuff I'd rather not know about anyhow.

/ Death and social media ettiquette #10  
Some forms of Social Media, either by design and/or by usage, encourage emotional response(s) to events. This is not always bad but it sure is awful many times.

I see some younger people who will have nothing to do with Face Book because of the huge privacy issues but I suspect they are a minority. And other services are just as bad. I was reading an article written by a single woman in the UK who was using Tinder to find dates. Since she is in the UK should could, and did, have Tinder send ALL of the information they possessed on her. She was shocked to see the hundreds of pages of information. EVERY communication she had on the service was recorded and kept.

The radio show I listen too was talking about a study that showed how many likes it took to know you as well as your coworkers, friends, family, parents and spouse. I think that was the list. It took what I thought were very few likes to figure out one's personality. This article seems to be what they were talking about on the radio, Facebook knows you better than your members of your own family - Telegraph

The team found that their software was able to predict a study participant's personality more accurately than a work colleague by analysing just 10 'Likes'.

Inputting 70 'Likes' allowed it to obtain a truer picture of someone's character than a friend or room-mate, while 150 'Likes' outperformed a parent, sibling or partners. It took 300 'Likes' before the programme was able to judge character better than a spouse.

Now, I am not on Face Book, and never will be, but I get prompted on websites fairly frequently to answer a question on a survey to see more content. How easy is that to do and how long will it take for Google, it is always a Google survey, to know me better than my wifey? The survey questions are very innocuous. Think about how much they already know based on searches, contacts, email, texts, location, etc. and add the survey data...:shocked::shocked::shocked::eek::eek::eek:

While I am already on a roll and taking this too far into the ditches... :laughing::laughing::laughing:

China is creating a Social Score. It is like our Credit Score but the Social Score will be used to decide where you can live, what job you can have, what schools you go to, are you allowed to travel, where you can travel, etc. :shocked::shocked::shocked: The Social Score will be created by what websites you visit, what you say online, who you are talking with, who you have contact with, criminal history, traffic citations, etc. I would assume they will also look at location information, track video's watched, music listened too, what one downloads to read, etc. China is also deploying more video cameras in public spaces which you know will be used to track people by knowing their face. They already use facial recognition to dispense toilet paper....

1984 was premature by 30 or 40 years but there will be a 1984, it is only a question of when, if not already today.

Happy Friday,
Dan :D:D:D