World Toilet Day

/ World Toilet Day #31  
In Japan they use to have what were called Bengi ditches. Smell was not very good. the purpose was to fertilize their gardens.

Good Idea ???:eek:

/ World Toilet Day #33  
I haven't thought about or remembered how cold the old outdoor toilets were in the winter, and how much they stunk in the summer in well over 50 years. Thanks for bringing back all those old "wonderful" memories. I guess... And yes the dang wasps and spiders too. No snakes that I remember.

My Grandfather was something of a "little chit" when he was a teenager, and outhouse humor was his favorite thing to do. He and others would often pick up and set back an outhouse about 3 foot from the hole in the middle of the nite. Just as the homeowner sleepily reached for the door he fell into the chit pit. Pretty funny huh? Like I said, he was a pretty rotten kid.

/ World Toilet Day #34  
I haven't thought about or remembered how cold the old outdoor toilets were in the winter, and how much they stunk in the summer in well over 50 years. Thanks for bringing back all those old "wonderful" memories. I guess... And yes the dang wasps and spiders too. No snakes that I remember.

My Grandfather was something of a "little chit" when he was a teenager, and outhouse humor was his favorite thing to do. He and others would often pick up and set back an outhouse about 3 foot from the hole in the middle of the nite. Just as the homeowner sleepily reached for the door he fell into the chit pit. Pretty funny huh? Like I said, he was a pretty rotten kid.

Hence the colloquial Aussie name: The Long Drop. :)

/ World Toilet Day #35  
Lets not forget built like a brick chit house.
and don't know chit from Shinola.

/ World Toilet Day #36  
Let's not forget that the dunny/outhouse was not exclusive to country living.

This photo is from the 1950's, a suburban development in Brisbane... but the Dunnyman still plied his 'trade' (collecting night-soil) in all the major cities well into the '70's.

Attachments

• Brisbane suburb.jpg
    Brisbane suburb.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 63
  • the-dunny-man.jpg
    the-dunny-man.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 59
   / World Toilet Day #37  
I can't recall having such an excrementicial discussion since my Grand sons were here last time...:laughing:

/ World Toilet Day #38  
I can't recall having such an excrementicial discussion since my Grand sons were here last time...:laughing:

Yeah, its kind of a "chitty" thread. :rolleyes:

/ World Toilet Day #39  
Let's not forget that the dunny/outhouse was not exclusive to country living.

This photo is from the 1950's, a suburban development in Brisbane... but the Dunnyman still plied his 'trade' (collecting night-soil) in all the major cities well into the '70's.

Hm.. we were pretty poor, but by about 1960 we had indoor plumbing in the house, and the school I attended got it a couple years later. It was a very rural area. Everyone in town had indoor plumbing for decades. So you downunder guys were worse off than we were. My memories of the outdoor facilities were relegated to my "formative years". :)