Why is it so hard to help out someone in need and how did we get to this point???

/ Why is it so hard to help out someone in need and how did we get to this point??? #1  

ultrarunner

Epic Contributor
SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
Tractor
Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 and RTV900 with restored 1948 Deere M, 1949 Farmall Cub, 1953 Ford Jubliee and 1957 Ford 740 Row Crop, Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer 50 assorted vehicles from 1905 to 2006
I know a few elderly that are struggling and thought with winter and the high utility cost that I would put a $100 on each of their accounts and call it a good deed for Christmas.

I was at the Pacific Gas and Electric window and my payments were refused... even spoke to a manager who said it would be a violation of privacy to allow me to pay a bill not my own...

All I can think is what kind of world have we become?

I paid my bill and then said I would like to put $100 on Mrs. Ann Jensen at XXXX Main Street Oakland CA...

It is just not Utilities but also Doctor visits and Hospitals which I am a part... ever since the confidentiality laws went into effect we spend a lot of time saying NO...

A typical call will go like this... My Mom, Mrs. Smith, is scheduled for knee surgery with Dr. Green tomorrow and I would like to confirm the time she needs to be there as I am providing transportation... we are not allowed to give a time or confirm schedule due to HIPA as the caller could be anyone... the best we can do is call the telephone number we have on the chart and ask for the patient by name... what a rigamarole...

Lots of irate people with added stress at a time with pending surgery... and we get an earful too... but we do not make the rules.

Might as well go for one more...

I manage rentals and the Utility has a program where it will turn off the pilot light in the summer... one of my tenants had the furnace pilot turned off by the utility and the home failed the city annual inspection due to non function heater...

I as property owner received the violation notice... so I called the Utility and asked why they would turn off the pilot in my home as I am the property owner... I was told my name isn't on the account so they cannot discuss anything with me...

I said... OK... I can play this game... I would like service in my name and the pilot lit immediately as the city failed my home as a habitability violation and will fax the violation from the city... then, as soon as the pilot is lit I will call in to end service...

I'm a nice guy but this nonsense drives me crazy...

End of rant...

/ Why is it so hard to help out someone in need and how did we get to this point??? #2  
I would just buy them a big ol box of food. If my hometown ever gets that petty, I will take out full page ads and let 'm have it! Kindness should never be stifled.

/ Why is it so hard to help out someone in need and how did we get to this point???
That would work... I do grocery shopping for two once a week on Sunday afternoon...

/ Why is it so hard to help out someone in need and how did we get to this point??? #4  
That would work... I do grocery shopping for two once a week on Sunday afternoon...

Food is always a good choice. Sometimes, kind words and a visit means more to some of the lonely folks. It is easy to feel forgotten. God Bless!

/ Why is it so hard to help out someone in need and how did we get to this point??? #5  
I know a few elderly that are struggling and thought with winter and the high utility cost that I would put a $100 on each of their accounts and call it a good deed for Christmas.

I was at the Pacific Gas and Electric window and my payments were refused... even spoke to a manager who said it would be a violation of privacy to allow me to pay a bill not my own...

All I can think is what kind of world have we become?

I paid my bill and then said I would like to put $100 on Mrs. Ann Jensen at XXXX Main Street Oakland CA...

It is just not Utilities but also Doctor visits and Hospitals which I am a part... ever since the confidentiality laws went into effect we spend a lot of time saying NO...

A typical call will go like this... My Mom, Mrs. Smith, is scheduled for knee surgery with Dr. Green tomorrow and I would like to confirm the time she needs to be there as I am providing transportation... we are not allowed to give a time or confirm schedule due to HIPA as the caller could be anyone... the best we can do is call the telephone number we have on the chart and ask for the patient by name... what a rigamarole...

Lots of irate people with added stress at a time with pending surgery... and we get an earful too... but we do not make the rules.

Might as well go for one more...

I manage rentals and the Utility has a program where it will turn off the pilot light in the summer... one of my tenants had the furnace pilot turned off by the utility and the home failed the city annual inspection due to non function heater...

I as property owner received the violation notice... so I called the Utility and asked why they would turn off the pilot in my home as I am the property owner... I was told my name isn't on the account so they cannot discuss anything with me...

I said... OK... I can play this game... I would like service in my name and the pilot lit immediately as the city failed my home as a habitability violation and will fax the violation from the city... then, as soon as the pilot is lit I will call in to end service...

I'm a nice guy but this nonsense drives me crazy...

End of rant...

I take a bit different Christmas approach.
I go to the local Kmart.
I ask to speak with the manager, and explain that I would like to pay off two or three separate lay away balances.
Kmart will let me pay the balances off, except for the last penny.
They do not let me see the accounts, but I explain that the account must be holding at least one bicycle.
I do this on Dec. 23rd, to pay off only accounts that might go into default.

/ Why is it so hard to help out someone in need and how did we get to this point??? #6  
I take a bit different Christmas approach.
I go to the local Kmart.
I ask to speak with the manager, and explain that I would like to pay off two or three separate lay away balances.
Kmart will let me pay the balances off, except for the last penny.
They do not let me see the accounts, but I explain that the account must be holding at least one bicycle.
I do this on Dec. 23rd, to pay off only accounts that might go into default.

Excellent idea.

/ Why is it so hard to help out someone in need and how did we get to this point???
You are kind and generous... maybe the title of this thread needs to be changed?

There are lots of little things we do to help out and some are really simple... like making sure those around us have our phone numbers... for years I was the neighborhood light bulb changer... something about a 90 year old standing on a step stool never set right with me...

I'm blessed with a lot of seasoned neighbors... never have to worry when I am away.. they don't miss a thing as to coming and goings on my street... and I like it.

/ Why is it so hard to help out someone in need and how did we get to this point??? #8  
You are kind and generous... maybe the title of this thread needs to be changed?

There are lots of little things we do to help out and some are really simple... like making sure those around us have our phone numbers... for years I was the neighborhood light bulb changer... something about a 90 year old standing on a step stool never set right with me...

I'm blessed with a lot of seasoned neighbors... never have to worry when I am away.. they don't miss a thing as to coming and goings on my street... and I like it.

Sounds like a nice neighborhood with caring people. I would do all that I could for those in need. I enjoy "well seasoned" neighbors also.

/ Why is it so hard to help out someone in need and how did we get to this point??? #9  
Go and volunteer at your local food bank like I do. My church operates one, I am a committee member, help issue food every Sat morning for 4 hours and donate money and food products on a routine basis. Very rewarding helping all those folks that are down; we have had some very rewarding results. It is all volunteer; no labor cost, every thing goes into the program.

There are many small charities out there begging for help. I stay with those faith based as most are all volunteer. I do not believe in someone getting paid to help those in dire need.

Ron

Ron

/ Why is it so hard to help out someone in need and how did we get to this point??? #10  
Go and volunteer at your local food bank like I do. My church operates one, I am a committee member, help issue food every Sat morning for 4 hours and donate money and food products on a routine basis. Very rewarding helping all those folks that are down; we have had some very rewarding results. It is all volunteer; no labor cost, every thing goes into the program.

There are many small charities out there begging for help. I stay with those faith based as most are all volunteer. I do not believe in someone getting paid to help those in dire need.

Ron

Ron
Working at my local food bank was terrible. I was not prepared for the ungrateful people who wanted brand name food not generic. Now volunteer at local school