Wood vs Pellet heat ???

/ Wood vs Pellet heat ??? #1  

Thomas

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota B2650HSD w/Frontloader & CC LTX1046 & Craftman T2200 lawn mower.
We have burn wood for many..many years and now Mrs. wants to try wood pellets.

Purchase Harman pellet furnace heats 3000 sq.ft,my concern will we get the same warmth density like wood?..I don't mind putting up 5 cords wood each year nor extras... when -20F plus for days on end.

Like to hear about your Pros & Cons.

Thanks.

/ Wood vs Pellet heat ??? #2  
The pellet stove should burn at a constant rate providing more even heat. It will also require less maintence, ie. ash and loading wood. Pellet bags are inherently less messy than chopped firewood. There are more chimney options for pellet stoves.

The pellet stove does not lend itself to viewing the fire. Less ambience?

Cost of pellets versus wood?? Physical ability to harvest firewood?

Power outage will the pellet stove require power??

I really enjoy watching a fire but the logistics would probably favor pellets.

/ Wood vs Pellet heat ??? #3  
I have a Enviro m55 steel running it for 3 years now . Paid $208 per ton at hd for pellets I run it 24/7 1117151702-00.jpg

/ Wood vs Pellet heat ??? #4  
No power=no heat. They typically have a fan that runs which makes noise. I haven’t had good luck with them but as written above others have.
If I got to the point I couldn’t do a wood stove I’d spend the money to make my gas or electric furnace and home more efficient. Safe some wood for when the power went out.

Edit- no matter brand or type the numbers given by sales folks and or manufacturers isn’t something to rely on across brands. Their isn’t a standard way to test and certify like HVAC systems. Be careful and do your research by asking actual customers of the brands you want to purchase.

Last edited:
   / Wood vs Pellet heat ??? #5  
No power = no heat = generator = heat, lights ,tv , water

/ Wood vs Pellet heat ??? #6  
We started here with a wood stove. That lasted nine to ten years. Then because the firewood drug in so much dirt, bark and bugs - we converted to a pellet stove. I made a serious mistake - if a little pellet stove is good then a big one will be that much better - the new pellet stove would almost drive us out of the house. Its 15 F outside - the pellet stove is set as low as it will go - wife & I are sitting around in our shorts - the front door is open to cool off the house. This is not good - plus the price on pellets is out of sight.

We trashed all the stoves and simply turned on the electric heat. No sweat, no pain, no dirt,ash or bugs. And its cheaper, by far, than heating with pellets.

/ Wood vs Pellet heat ??? #7  
My BIL purchases a pellet stove a couple years ago;not happy with it.$260/ton for "good pellets",40# bags that he can handle but my sister can't.He was burning 4 tons a year;no real cost savings over oil.
You have to shut down every two days to clean;no power ,no heat.
His brother spent a lot of money putting in a coal furnace;just about the same situation.
They just don't make sense to me.

/ Wood vs Pellet heat ??? #8  
Burn what fuel source is cheap in your area. I burn wood because there is no middleman...I cut and I burn. Do they manufacture wood pellets near by and the price is cheap...go for it. My neighbor burns corn in what looks like a pellet stove. He also has a large corn boiler in the basement. They have their own types of issues.

/ Wood vs Pellet heat ??? #9  
nybirdman - your BIL's experiences with the pellet stove were just about the same as mine - then we shut it all down and turned on our electric heat. Only difference - I had to clean out my pellet stove every 10 to 14 days.

/ Wood vs Pellet heat ??? #10  
Burn what fuel source is cheap in your area. I burn wood because there is no middleman...I cut and I burn. Do they manufacture wood pellets near by and the price is cheap...go for it.

I'm with him.