recomendations for a fitness tracker watch that can operate stand alone / no phone

/ recomendations for a fitness tracker watch that can operate stand alone / no phone #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
I currently use a fitbit, but apparently I'm too outdorsy and active, and I've been thru two trackers now, not looking for #3, because they seem fragile. I use an older windows 8 nokia 1020 phone. Remarkably, fitbit does have a windows app, which is why I'm using it. Most O the new tracker watches say ios/android only.

I have seen cheaper economy trackers that are basically pedometer/heart rate only, not a smart watch. I'd be ok with one like that, or a economy smart watch/ tracker that will display its data without a phone tether.

Thanks

/ recomendations for a fitness tracker watch that can operate stand alone / no phone #2  
My wife recently started weight watchers with a friend, and she's counting points... she's allowed 23 points a day. So, just for fun, we added up my points for a typical day....... one hundred sixty-two! Yes 162.... something like 3900 calories. And it wasn't a heavy eating day for me, just a typical day. :confused3: She wasn't happy with me at all... :laughing:

She put a fitbit tracker on me a few months ago. It's one of the little clip-on ones. I carry it in my pocket so I don't lose it. It eats a battery about every 5-6 weeks.

But you are correct. It won't work without the phone. And, it seems, and I may be incorrect, but the phone has to have an internet connection on, in order for it to sync. Even though it's bluetooth, the app needs the internet to work and sync.

I don't care for it too much, but some days it's kind of fun to see how many "steps" I put in.

Another thing I don't like about the fitbit is how it tracks active minutes. I can walk for 4-5 hours and only get 45 minutes active some times. There's just no way that thing is close to accurate. But, again, it's kinda fun somedays.

/ recomendations for a fitness tracker watch that can operate stand alone / no phone #3  
I currently use a fitbit, but apparently I'm too outdorsy and active, and I've been thru two trackers now, not looking for #3, because they seem fragile. I use an older windows 8 nokia 1020 phone. Remarkably, fitbit does have a windows app, which is why I'm using it. Most O the new tracker watches say ios/android only.

I use one of the cheapo Fitbits, it uses a wrist band and has no display so you have to synch it to a phone or PC. The wrist bands are fragile and break but I have found the aftermarket replacements are tougher. My aftermarket one is starting to rip after a year or so. The plastic they us is just going to fail after flexing too many times. :rolleyes: It would better if they used a regular watch band material.

Trying to remember, but I think my first Fitbit lasted 12-18 months before it failed. Not sure why. Water? Battery age? Bought another one that I am guessing is 12-18 months old and no issues so far.

I am using Windows and Android to synch the Fitbit too.

My device is surprisingly accurate. When I first go the Fitbit I would count steps and watch the time. It is very accurate. I know how many steps I walker per minute, so from time to time, I check if the Fitbit is correct, and it has been. I have lost 20ish pounds by walking and using the Fitbit to count steps.

I looked at other Fitbits but I don't want to spend too much money on something that is easily lost and subject to damage so I just use the cheap one and replace it as needed. MUCH cheaper and it gets far more use than going to the gym. :D:D:D

Later,
Da,

/ recomendations for a fitness tracker watch that can operate stand alone / no phone
My wife recently started weight watchers with a friend, and she's counting points... she's allowed 23 points a day. So, just for fun, we added up my points for a typical day....... one hundred sixty-two! Yes 162.... something like 3900 calories. And it wasn't a heavy eating day for me, just a typical day. :confused3: She wasn't happy with me at all... :laughing:

She put a fitbit tracker on me a few months ago. It's one of the little clip-on ones. I carry it in my pocket so I don't lose it. It eats a battery about every 5-6 weeks.

But you are correct. It won't work without the phone. And, it seems, and I may be incorrect, but the phone has to have an internet connection on, in order for it to sync. Even though it's bluetooth, the app needs the internet to work and sync.

I don't care for it too much, but some days it's kind of fun to see how many "steps" I put in.

Another thing I don't like about the fitbit is how it tracks active minutes. I can walk for 4-5 hours and only get 45 minutes active some times. There's just no way that thing is close to accurate. But, again, it's kinda fun somedays.

exactly, when the app loads, it wants an active internet connection. if the app loads with no service, it error's out.

And yes, it has a fairly low threshold for what it considers active minutes. I walked a gun show 3 weeks ago for about 4 hours... I got no credit for it. BUT, i can do a brisk walk around my neighborhood and it grabs every second of it and even shows me a map of what I walked via GPS tracking. So it's 'speed' threshold is high. The pedometer still grabbed the 9000 steps, just didn't log it as active minutes.

/ recomendations for a fitness tracker watch that can operate stand alone / no phone
I use one of the cheapo Fitbits, it uses a wrist band and has no display so you have to synch it to a phone or PC. The wrist bands are fragile and break but I have found the aftermarket replacements are tougher. My aftermarket one is starting to rip after a year or so. The plastic they us is just going to fail after flexing too many times. :rolleyes: It would better if they used a regular watch band material.

Trying to remember, but I think my first Fitbit lasted 12-18 months before it failed. Not sure why. Water? Battery age? Bought another one that I am guessing is 12-18 months old and no issues so far.

I am using Windows and Android to synch the Fitbit too.

My device is surprisingly accurate. When I first go the Fitbit I would count steps and watch the time. It is very accurate. I know how many steps I walker per minute, so from time to time, I check if the Fitbit is correct, and it has been. I have lost 20ish pounds by walking and using the Fitbit to count steps.

I looked at other Fitbits but I don't want to spend too much money on something that is easily lost and subject to damage so I just use the cheap one and replace it as needed. MUCH cheaper and it gets far more use than going to the gym. :D:D:D

Later,
Da,

fitbit supports windows still.. but none of the other name brand ones do.

I need to just find a cheapo pedometer / heart rate monitoring band that can display it's data on it's screen without needing a phone. apparently my lifestyle is too active for the fragile fitbits. my first one died, and repalced under warranty in 6 months.. I think this one made it about 6 months too, and just died saturday... it won't power off with the 2 button-hold reset.. it just cycles back on and is stuck on the dot pattern bootup screen. the first one stopped bluetooth syncing, thus was useless as it lost time when powered off, and the only way to set time on a fitbit is via sync... thus I just need a standalone watch with pedometer and heart rate monitor that doesn't need a PC. I like the other features. but those 2 are the ones I use the most and don't want to loose.

/ recomendations for a fitness tracker watch that can operate stand alone / no phone #6  
What's really funny is to have your pajamas on, eating a bowl of ice cream, and having your wife tell you she needs 800 more steps to hit 10, or 15 thousand for the day..... so there you two are, in your jammies, walking down to the corner and back at 10:30 at night! :rolleyes:

/ recomendations for a fitness tracker watch that can operate stand alone / no phone #7  
fitbit supports windows still.. but none of the other name brand ones do.

I need to just find a cheapo pedometer / heart rate monitoring band that can display it's data on it's screen without needing a phone. apparently my lifestyle is too active for the fragile fitbits. my first one died, and repalced under warranty in 6 months.. I think this one made it about 6 months too, and just died saturday... it won't power off with the 2 button-hold reset.. it just cycles back on and is stuck on the dot pattern bootup screen. the first one stopped bluetooth syncing, thus was useless as it lost time when powered off, and the only way to set time on a fitbit is via sync... thus I just need a standalone watch with pedometer and heart rate monitor that doesn't need a PC. I like the other features. but those 2 are the ones I use the most and don't want to loose.

Maybe try the simplest Fitbit that I use. No buttons or display. It is just a plastic blob that fits in the wrist band. You can put it in a pocket too and it will work. Yeah, you have to synch to a computer or smart phone but it seems pretty robust. Drives me nuts sometimes having to synch, the problems seem to be Fitbits servers, but I figure the Fitbit with a display and kept in a pocket is going to get lost fast. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Not sure there is a cheap pedometer and heart rate monitor. I have a heart rate monitor but it requires wearing a chest strap which is ok if really working out but a PITA to wear all day. My second dumb cell phone had a pretty good pedometer. My first smartphone had one as well but it would kill the phone's battery. :eek:

Later,
Dan

/ recomendations for a fitness tracker watch that can operate stand alone / no phone #8  
What's really funny is to have your pajamas on, eating a bowl of ice cream, and having your wife tell you she needs 800 more steps to hit 10, or 15 thousand for the day..... so there you two are, in your jammies, walking down to the corner and back at 10:30 at night! :rolleyes:

She needs to learn to run and/or walk in place. :laughing::laughing::laughing: 800 steps is 8 minutes of walking for me or less than 5 minutes jogging in place.:D:D:D

Over the holidays, I started working up so I can jog in place for an hour or so. The first half of 2017 I was doing 10K steps a day with a day or two of 20K or 25K steps. We had a challenge at work and I wanted to do a million steps which required me to walk 15K to 20K steps a day for a couple of months. This fall I decided to walk at least 15K steps each day. That can be time consuming but if one jogs in place while watching an hour of TV, that can add almost 10K steps.

No need to walk outside in the cold when one can jog in place and watch Big Bang Theory. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Later,
Dan

/ recomendations for a fitness tracker watch that can operate stand alone / no phone #9  
What model fitbit
I have hr that is one year old
Many cheaper versions are killed by mousture

/ recomendations for a fitness tracker watch that can operate stand alone / no phone #10  
She needs to learn to run and/or walk in place. :laughing::laughing::laughing: 800 steps is 8 minutes of walking for me or less than 5 minutes jogging in place.:D:D:D

Over the holidays, I started working up so I can jog in place for an hour or so. The first half of 2017 I was doing 10K steps a day with a day or two of 20K or 25K steps. We had a challenge at work and I wanted to do a million steps which required me to walk 15K to 20K steps a day for a couple of months. This fall I decided to walk at least 15K steps each day. That can be time consuming but if one jogs in place while watching an hour of TV, that can add almost 10K steps.

No need to walk outside in the cold when one can jog in place and watch Big Bang Theory. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Later,
Dan

She rides an elliptical trainer on a pretty stout resistance for an hour each morning. I can ride it about 8 minutes before I feel like I'm gonna throw up. :ashamed: