2x4 drop in lite- fluorescents. Is LED best replacement?

/ 2x4 drop in lite- fluorescents. Is LED best replacement? #1  

coffeeman

Platinum Member
Replacing fluorscents 2x4 drop in. Light supplier has LED fixture for $95 "wholesale?" Lowe's has them at about $40. How do I compare and determine quality of light fixture?
Fluorscents I have now don't light up when cold. Supplier replacement bulbs for old lights is special order, even if working. I've heard the LED is way less expensive to run.

What's the best way to go?

.Cheers...Coffeeman

/ 2x4 drop in lite- fluorescents. Is LED best replacement? #2  
It’s hard to compare specs to see what LED is best. My wholesaler wanted about $75 each for LED can lights and I found some that were highly rated on Amazon for about $15 each. They have worked fine. Check for reviews and buy a few extra in case one of the cheap ones crumps in the first month or so.
Typically Lowes has a good warranty and sells decent stuff so that wouldn’t scare me. Amazon has good reviews for that stuff too. If it’s just a shop check out “UFO” style LEDs. The design is super simple to install.

/ 2x4 drop in lite- fluorescents. Is LED best replacement? #3  
I'm in the process of replacing my fluorescent tubes with LED tubes. Everything about them is better. Better light, longer life, lower operating cost, instant on, no hum. I paid about $8 a tube for 18W, 2400 lumens tubes. I had to rewire the lights to remove the ballasts, and some of my lights needed new tombstones. Tombstones were $8 for a pack of 20 on Amazon.

Last edited:
   / 2x4 drop in lite- fluorescents. Is LED best replacement? #4  
I'm also putting up all new 4' LED's, I bought them at Menards for $16 and change ea., plug and play and they have LONG warr., that if needed, is honored by Menards...

They are so much better than the fluorescents in so many ways, it isn't even funny!

SR

/ 2x4 drop in lite- fluorescents. Is LED best replacement? #5  
Home depot had the 4' leds i needed, I replaced 12 of them and was able to get a discount for buying a box of them. I love them, they come right on, even in the winter and I just like the light they put out.

/ 2x4 drop in lite- fluorescents. Is LED best replacement? #6  
I'm also putting up all new 4' LED's, I bought them at Menards for $16 and change ea., plug and play and they have LONG warr., that if needed, is honored by Menards...

They are so much better than the fluorescents in so many ways, it isn't even funny!

SR

wish we had one of their stores here. I would buy a few at $16.00 ea

/ 2x4 drop in lite- fluorescents. Is LED best replacement? #7  
Costco 4ft LEDs with fixture. Price cycles between $29, $24, and $19 throughout the year. In store pricing. I see it online but these look a little different. I have about 10 fixtures now and I love them.

Generic Error

Link works... at least for me. I don't know why it shows Generic Error.

Last edited:
   / 2x4 drop in lite- fluorescents. Is LED best replacement? #8  
I'll +1 the Costco fixtures. We have several of the ones that came in the blue/green box, they don't daisy chain. The ones they have now in the blue/orange box have a plug on the end so you can chain 3 or 4 of them together. I thought they were a steal at $35 3 years ago, now they drop down to $20 every few months.

/ 2x4 drop in lite- fluorescents. Is LED best replacement? #9  
By "drop-in" do you mean the units that go in a suspended ceiling grid?

I just finished replacing a bunch of those with flat panel LED's. They are wonderful. The light is so white and even, it almost feels like daylight. No harshness, no shadows. The ones I got are hard-wired but they have push-in connectors so it's pretty quick to install them.

/ 2x4 drop in lite- fluorescents. Is LED best replacement? #10  
Replace the lamps in a troffer fixture and you are 1/2 way toward replacing with a troffer LED insert. I have the Lowes surface mount LEDs in my garage and they are great. Only way to go. I have replace 955 of the lamps in the house with LED.

Ron