Learning about the stock market

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Learning about the stock market #1  

Wakey

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere Z915B Zero Turn 54 Deck
As my parents and grandparents get older (granny is 99!) I think it would be wise for me to gain fluency in the market.

My Grandparents are leaving their investments to the grandchildren and my parents to their children. Luckily I am a member in good standing of both groups.

I won't ask my grandparents specifics about their investments, but I do know about my mother's since I'm her POA.

What I've done is created a bookmark folder with her 25 stocks. With one right click I can open 25 separate windows with each stock's ticker. Google has different tabs to show information on each page. Underneath that they have current articles about the company. I've found this to be an excellent way to learn about each company on a financial level. This is my new routine with morning coffee (beats the heck out of Facebook)

Additionally I'd like to find an investor forum like TBN. Here is one I found as an example. US Listed I'm assuming I can subscribe to each stock and get alerts for activity

Can anyone else recommend some other forum or pages?

As a side note.. Does anyone have GE stock? :eek: :laughing:

/ Learning about the stock market #2  
GE is a bit of a falling knife right now. Huge pension and reinsurance obligations coupled with negative growth in several business sectors. They are also under SEC investigation for previous accounting practices. Investing in them is definitely for the risk taker but may payoff due to the many solid business lines they have with large backlogs. The question in my mind is how much they will have to sell off to pay down their debts and if what is left is going to be enough to justify the stock price.

/ Learning about the stock market #3  
Dad just died December 27th. I am about to inherit GE and Proctor and Gamble Stock from him along with a fidelity technology fund that grew by 50% this year. I also buy and invest in mutual funds and a 6-10 regular stocks. These last 14 months have been the most incredible thing I have seen with my portfolio. In my wildest dreams did I ever think I would see upward daily swings like I am seeing. And I am only 43 with 20 years of horsepower invested...I cannot imagine what I would be looking at with another 20 years invested. Wife and I are what financial advisors call "super savers". We are in it like watching grass grow and not trying to get rich overnight but rather be able to call it quits one day and give my son a "leg up" in life when we die.

/ Learning about the stock market #4  
Many of the larger financial sites that display individual stock information also have message boards for each stock/company...the information should be taken for what it is worth...also some business news sites also have message boards for stocks...

/ Learning about the stock market #5  
the stock market has been amazing the past year to say the least. i have stuff invested in iras, 401k and stock market. all thru investment companies. i have way more money than i need if i retire now. my wife already retired. But i still enjoy working, albeit it i work less often. if i only use 4% of investment per year i can still show more income than i ever made in a year while working.

i paid off all my houses, property and equipment over 8 years ago. its nice to not have to work unless you feel like it.

/ Learning about the stock market #8  
My advice is avoid individual stocks. Can be big rewards, but also big risk. Spread out your risk with a no-load mutual fund that tracks the market, lots of them track the S&P.

And we are in a big run-up recently, but what happens to those stocks if ***** gets in trouble, or the idiot in NK decides to launch a rocket at us??

A great portfolio is hard to ignore, but its only real money when you buy it, and when you sell it. In between, I say it is "funny money". It could all be gone tomorrow, or, it might go up 1% tomorrow ...

/ Learning about the stock market #9  
SPXU.....for the day when rare air no longer supports the market. And it's coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.