Ruger or Glock

/ Ruger or Glock #1  

RSKY

Veteran Member
Kentucky, West of the Lakes, South of Possum Trot.
Tractor
Kioti CK20S
I need a 9mm that I can carry concealed.

For various reasons the little 380 I have carried for years will not be appropriate for a situation I find myself in. The LCP was intended to be a last resort, slow them down while my family got away weapon. I never intended to be in a situation that I needed a larger weapon to engage in a gunfight. So 6+1 rounds with a marginal caliber was sufficient.

Now I find myself in a situation where for one morning a week I will be helping provide security for a large group of people. Every emphasis will be put on a non-violent end to confrontations but if I have to stand between an active shooter and my entire extended family in a place they cannot run I want more than a 380.

I have a Kahr CT9 that shoots and handles very well BUT. I cannot find a proper concealment holster for it.

So I have narrowed my choices between the Ruger LC9s and the Glock 43. Both are single stack 9mm with either a 6 or 7 round magazine. Many types of holsters are available for both these semi-automatic pistols. Both have reputations of reliability. The Ruger has the price edge by about a hundred depending if I can find a sale.

Any advice appreciated.

RSKY

/ Ruger or Glock #4  
If I could find no other way to choose, such as operational familiarity and habits, I would want to find some way to try them both to see which I could shoot the best in awkward positions and (simulated) stressful situations.

Bruce

/ Ruger or Glock #5  
Glock 43 all day for a 9mm CC.

Although.. sig sauer P365 just came out, double stack 10 round magazine and it’s about the same size as the Glock 43.

/ Ruger or Glock #6  
Have you ever had an H&K in your hand? That may end your search.

/ Ruger or Glock
Why did you narrow it down to just Ruger or Glock?

Double action, no safety, single stack, 9mm are my criteria. I have a great shooting 9mm in the Kahr CT9 but there are no accessories available. The only holster I have for it is a clip on the belt outside the pants type. This weapon and holster MUST be completely concealable The Ruger and the Glock are the two most commonly sold single stack 9mm subcompact pistols. The Glock has a great reputation and I have had great reliability with the three other Ruger products I own. Also price will play a big part. This is for a specific purpose one morning a week.

I am not interested in other brands or calibers.

RSKY

/ Ruger or Glock
Have you ever had an H&K in your hand? That may end your search.

I am buying this pistol to fulfil a specific purpose. I can get the Ruger for $230, the Glock for $450, and a thicker, heavier, harder to conceal H&K would be north of $600. Plus it would not fulfil the purpose that I am buying it for. That is why that brand was eliminated. Plus I probably could not find a cross draw holster for one. That is the problem with the Kahr. I cannot find a proper concealing holster that would allow me to draw either standing or seated.

RSKY

/ Ruger or Glock #9  
Hang out at a good gun range or firearms dealer and try them first-hand. The Wife has a Ruger LC9 and it's very concealable. I too am wanting a Glock 43 but in .40 cal. Have heard nothing but favorable reviews.

/ Ruger or Glock #10  
Good idea buying something with a single stack magazine. Any of the big brands are good. I am a huge ruger fan but never cared for their automatic handguns. That's just an opinion.

Glock seems to win the ugly and indestructible award.

I wanted an m&p shield but never got one.