Is there any good reason to buy an Optima battery for a car?

/ Is there any good reason to buy an Optima battery for a car? #1  

N80

Tractor
Kubota L4400 4wd w/LA 703 FEL
In another thread we discussed my Infiniti G37 that eats batteries. Considerable testing has not found a single clear cause. I think I know why the current one failed and I think I corrected it but the battery is not holding a full charge now probably due to repeated draining.

Anyway, whether I have found the cause or not, it is time for a new battery. A little research reveals that most car batteries are made by only three manufacturers. To different specs of course but this still makes me think there is more marketing hype than real differences.

I also did not realize that hot summers are harder on batteries than cold in terms of longevity. It is hot here.

Consumer Reports' tests on various batteries are all over the place with Die Hard and Duralast (which are the same battery ) ranking pretty high. But, no real clear winners in my opinion particularly in the size I need (35).

Now the AGM type batteries have caught my eye. Optima in particular.

They cost almost twice as much as a decent quality lead-acid battery.

So the question is: Is there any compelling reason to spend that much for a battery for a road car? (The fact that it is sealed does not really come into play since the car will not be going off-road (on purpose) or on a race track (yet)).

Opinions welcome.

/ Is there any good reason to buy an Optima battery for a car? #2  
Guy that has ran a local scrap yard his whole life sells recharged batteries for 20.00. Some coming from new insurance totals. Anyways he told me at one time he was a little ahead on money and he bought Optima for everything that the yard had. Tow trucks ,flatbeds, excavators, semis and a couple for the diesel powered crusher. He said with in two years they had all been replaced. Just did not live up to his standards. Only use was for some concrete mixer.

/ Is there any good reason to buy an Optima battery for a car? #3  
The 3 optima batteries I've had were junk. I now only run Odyssey. They are not cheap, but Ive had the same one in numerous vehicles over the last 10 years. First in a 77 chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 for 3 years, then it sat in the garage for 2 years. I then ran it in my 68' Plymouth Barracuda for 2 years, and now it's currently in my '89 chevy 2500. Excellent battery.

I also just recently bought 2 more for my '02 Ram 2500 Diesel.

/ Is there any good reason to buy an Optima battery for a car? #4  
There was a time when Optima was a good brand, but since they moved their production to Mexico the seem to be junk!

/ Is there any good reason to buy an Optima battery for a car? #5  
I have had an Optima last 7 years. But my current original factory battery in my Chevy Silverado is also going on seven years. I use a batteryminder to keep all my batteries running at top performance. If you have not tried a batteryminder you might want to give it a try. Batteryminders are on sale now at Northern Tool (free shipping).

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200332201_200332201

/ Is there any good reason to buy an Optima battery for a car?
I've got a battery tender but just don't see me (or my wife, its her car) plugging and unplugging it all the time.

The Odyssey batteries have amazing specs but they are $300 and very heavy. Probably not ideal for a sports/GT car.

Interstate makes AGM batteries but they did not review well in the Consumer Reports tests.

I may just end up buying a basic battery.

/ Is there any good reason to buy an Optima battery for a car? #7  
These days. I don't believe one brand has advantage over the other.
I usually buy my batteries from Wal Mart. I have had very good luck with them too !

Heavier batteries have thicker plates and should last longer

/ Is there any good reason to buy an Optima battery for a car? #8  
So the question is: Is there any compelling reason to spend that much for a battery for a road car?

I bought my first Optima a couple months ago. I asked the guy at Advanced Auto Parts for their best battery. Was a little shocked the Optima costs twice as much as other batteries but only has a 36 month 100% replacement warranty. After that there is no pro-rating so if it dies at 37 months, tough luck. So far its performance has been good. My truck sometimes sits for 2-3 weeks in the garage. Now it starts without any noticeable battery weakness. Only time will tell if it was worth the money.

/ Is there any good reason to buy an Optima battery for a car? #9  
Chrysler has run AGM's in many vehicles for nearly 10 years now, I've got one in my '14 Jeep and it's cranking my diesel like the day it was new, nearly 4 years old now. I'm going to put AGM in everything I can - I've been running them in my boats since 2010 - current cranking battery in one is 5 years old and starts that 300HP outboard great (it's one of the hardest to crank/start outboards ever sold).

/ Is there any good reason to buy an Optima battery for a car? #10  
I've got a battery tender but just don't see me (or my wife, its her car) plugging and unplugging it all the time.

The Odyssey batteries have amazing specs but they are $300 and very heavy. Probably not ideal for a sports/GT car.

Interstate makes AGM batteries but they did not review well in the Consumer Reports tests.

I may just end up buying a basic battery.

"Basic battery"
Yup...that's it!
Go to your local Wally Mart, and buy the heaviest duty battery that will fit in your vehicle.