Anyone else love their new shovel?

/ Anyone else love their new shovel? #1  

Bob_Skurka

I recently replaced a shovel. I had a typical short "D" handle shovel, it had a fiberglass shaft. A couple years ago the shaft started to fray and eventually split (basically from being used as a pry bar) so I did the Tim Taylor Toolman fix it job and got out the duck tape and that held it for another year or so, but the handle was sort of flexible.

A few weeks ago I broke down and bought a shovel. The brand is FISKARS. The shovel is different than most shovels in several ways.

The "D" handle is very large, large enough for 2 hands to be used when prying root balls out of the soil. The handle is also bent upwards or offset from the shaft, so it is not in line with the shaft. The shaft is metal and curved and seems to be offset from the blade more than any of my other shovels. The combination of the offset shaft, and the further offset handle make for a much more comfortable tool.

The blade itself has a top edge that serves as a step for your foot that is MUCH larger than a typical shovel. A typical shovel the top edge is typically about a quarter inch and just folded over. This shovel has a good inch which makes it much more comfortable when using your foot to press the shovel into the dirt.

The shovel was expensive, $26. But I'm thinking of going back and getting their spade as well. My old one is worn out, isn't it? Fiskars also had long handle versions of their tools too.

/ Anyone else love their new shovel? #2  
Recently, my wife asked for a new pruning lopper. I found a beautifully designed lopper with light weight handles and a cam action to increase the force. I wrapped it awkwardly to give it to her, the shape of the package giving away the contents. She is an avid quilter, and only uses Fiskars scissors. Before she opened the package, she said, this is a Fiskars pruner, right? Fortunately, when she opened the package, it was indeed Fiskars. The pruner works better than any we've had in the past, and I can attest to that -- I've watched her use it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Anyone else love their new shovel? #3  
Don,
My wife went out and bought herself a small pair of bypass pruners. Must have bought them at the quilting shop, $38.00... WOW, of course she will just let them rust up.

/ Anyone else love their new shovel? #4  
Good tools cost money, but usually are well worth it when you really need them. Nothing worse than having to depend on a cheap tool when it is important.

/ Anyone else love their new shovel?
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Recently, my wife asked for a new pruning lopper. I found a beautifully designed lopper with light weight handles and a cam action to increase the force. I wrapped it awkwardly to give it to her, the shape of the package giving away the contents. She is an avid quilter, and only uses Fiskars scissors. Before she opened the package, she said, this is a Fiskars pruner, right? Fortunately, when she opened the package, it was indeed Fiskars. The pruner works better than any we've had in the past, and I can attest to that -- I've watched her use it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )</font>

Don, I got my wife a pair of Fiskars bypass loppers and a Fiskars anvil lopper. Now if only I could get her to use them /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I've had the loppers for about a year, they make several sizes, I got the smallest size of each type and keep then in the toolbox on the back of my NH TC24D. I think the Anvil unit is about 16" overall, the bypass are closer to 19" long. If I can't cut whatever I'm cutting with either of those I go back for a chain saw. I do like the ratchet action to increase the power with minimal effort. Nice design, lightweight too, probably not commercial quality, but good enough.

/ Anyone else love their new shovel? #6  
It is a funny coincidence that this thread has come up just now. I just finished reading the "Tools" chapter of M.G. Kains' Five Acres and Independence, which was recommended to me by Libertine as an excellent general book on agriculture. (It is indeed an excellent book. Thank you, Libertine)

There are two quotes from the chapter that I had planned to share in a thread of my own. I happily include them here.

"If anyone should have good tools he is the owner of the small farm....Suppose that good tools do cost a little more than inferior ones, the difference is, or should be, more than offset by the higher quality, keener edge, better service, longer life, and the increased satisfaction these characteristics insure. Good tools properly cared for will often last many times as long as cheaper ones of the same kind. They will wear out rather than give out. Their initial cost is therefore less than two, three or more of the cheaper kind that might have been necessary to buy during the same period. By the time the good tools will have worn out their prices will have been forgotten, but the satisfaction they will have given during a term of years will always be pleasant to remember." (pp 200-201; 1973 edition)

And here is the chapter's epigraph, which I believe many will find satisfying:

"Our aim should be not how much strain our strength can stand, but how great we can make that strength. With such an aim we shall incidentally and naturally find ourselves accomplishing more work than if we aimed at the work itself. Morever, when such ideals are attained, work instead of turning into drudgery tends to turn into play, and the hue of life seem to turn from dull gray to the bright tints of well-remembered childhood. (Fisher and Fisk, In How to Live, quoted in Five Acres and Independence, p 200; emphasis added)

/ Anyone else love their new shovel? #7  
Thanks for the insight on the book...I LOVE to read and will have to locate a copy. And I'll concur with spending more money for good tools...some of my Craftsman yard and garden tools are close to 20 years old and when they need replacing I will get a new one FREE. About two weeks ago I returned a wood handle sledge to my local Sears store, after 14 years of use the handle cracked. I paid about $7 for the sledge back in 1990 and I walked out with a fiberglass handled $25 model in exchange. WHAT A DEAL. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Anyone else love their new shovel? #8  
I'll have to check that out. Where do you get a Fiskars shovel? The only Fiskars tool we currently own is a pair of scissors! I use my shovel nearly every day that I'm not at work in the summer. I get satisfaction just from being outside, while enjoying a shovel and a simple task. If the weather is decent enough to be outside, I'm rarely inside!
A good quality shovel would be good thing for me!

/ Anyone else love their new shovel?
I got mine at the local Miejer Supermarket/big box store. I know that Home Depot and Lowes also carry Fiskars tools becuase I bought the loppers at H.D. and then saw them again at Lowes.

Check out the new Fiskars hose too. I just picked up a 50' roll of hose and it looks to be very well made. Instead of having cheap brass ends, or even high quality cast and milled brass ends, the new Fiskars hose has large bulky plastic ends that they claim are leakproof and form a double seal. I'm not sure if that's going to prove to be true, but I intend on finding out.

I recently read an article in a magazine, possibly Organic Gardening? or maybe Mother Earth News? and they highlighted some of the new Fiskars tools. Apparently Fiskars is going to make a big push into the garden tool market and wants to become known as being a premium brand that is also innovative with their designs. The shovel I bought sure is innovative, well made, and practical. I think that they are on the right track with their designs.

/ Anyone else love their new shovel? #10  
<font color="blue"> Check out the new Fiskars hose too. I just picked up a 50' roll of hose and it looks to be very well made. Instead of having cheap brass ends, or even high quality cast and milled brass ends, the new Fiskars hose has large bulky plastic ends that they claim are leakproof and form a double seal. I'm not sure if that's going to prove to be true, but I intend on finding out. </font>

I don't have a lot of extra disposable income, but if I make a purchase like a hose that I intend to keep for a long time, I'll spend a little extra to get good quality. I bought a hose about ten years ago with a lifetime warranty that has served me well. My father buys the cheap five dollar hose, and he's replacing it every two years or so.

I paid four dollars for my current shovel around ten years ago, so it has served me well and deserves to go into semi-retirement. As often as my shovel gets used around here spending $20-$30 will easily give me my money's worth from it over its lifetime! I'll have to check it out...