Ni cad verses lithuim Ion

/ Ni cad verses lithuim Ion #1  

crash325

Elite Member
Tractor
New Holland TC-45
replacing NI-Cad battery with lithium has anyone done it????
Saws all needs new battery.
Chances are I will need a new charger???

Will a regular charger work???

Any information appreciated

/ Ni cad verses lithuim Ion #2  
Typically not the same charger. Throw out the brand of tools you are replacing the batteries on and TBNers will have brand specific experiences for you/

/ Ni cad verses lithuim Ion
Typically not the same charger. Throw out the brand of tools you are replacing the batteries on and TBNers will have brand specific experiences for you/

Thanks RN, it is a Roybi (spelling?)

/ Ni cad verses lithuim Ion #4  
I've got Ryobi's and often the best deal on batteries is to buy a drill kit. Often they come with a charger and 2 li-ion batteries for $99. I also have Ridgid tools. They have a lifetime warranty on the tools and the batteries.

/ Ni cad verses lithuim Ion #6  
The Ryobi Ni-Cd and Li batteries are interchangeable in their tools. You want a charger that has "Intelliport" marking on it. The newer chargers will work with either type but the older ones will not.

/ Ni cad verses lithuim Ion #7  
Thanks RN, it is a Roybi (spelling?)

I replace all of my Nicads on my Ryobi tools with Lithium and never looked backward. I got a couple of new Lithium chargers with new tools and keep all of the Lithium batteries charged up. They are so much better than NiCad it is amazing. They stay charged for long periods of time unused unlike NiCads which start to run down as soon as you take them off of the charger, They last much longer in run time, are much lighter, and so far not a single one has failed in over 4 years. The new one+ chargers will charge both the old nicads if you have any of them left and the new lithium, but the old chargers wont charge lithium.

/ Ni cad verses lithuim Ion #8  
I have half a dozen battery powered tools. Four are Nicads - two are LI ion. Frustration is going out and finding the Nicads are dead as door nails and have to be charged before they can be used. And you just know - those four Nicad tools will NEVER break and need replacement.

/ Ni cad verses lithuim Ion
thanks guys,

Wonder if an i8v will work in a 12v tool. May be better to just buy a new 1???

/ Ni cad verses lithuim Ion #10  
Even if they did fit, probably be very hard to find batteries for less than a combo set cost. That's been my experience. Last time I sold the old stuff on ebay.