USA Spitfire WWII

/ USA Spitfire WWII #1  

bunyip

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti DK 5810 HST
Maybe of interest if anyone knows any vintage WWII pilots or their families.
Until this was sent to me I had no idea that the USA flew Spitfires or had their insignia on them, this is an interesting short story.
SPITFIRE 944 - YouTube

/ USA Spitfire WWII #3  
Maybe of interest if anyone knows any vintage WWII pilots or their families.
Until this was sent to me I had no idea that the USA flew Spitfires or had their insignia on them, this is an interesting short story.
SPITFIRE 944 - YouTube
Yes and most people don't know that the infamous P51 Mustang was originally built for the UK. When we delivered it, it had an Allison V-1710 engine which greatly limited its high altitude ability and range. The replacement of the Allison with a Rolls-Royce Merlin engine by England resulted in the P-51B/C (Mustang Mk III) model and transformed the Mustang's performance at altitudes above 15,000 ft, allowing the aircraft to compete with the Luftwaffe's fighters.

So, what did the US do for their P51's? The definitive version, the P-51D, was powered by the Packard V-1650-7, a license-built version of the Rolls-Royce Merlin 66 two-stage two-speed supercharged engine and was armed with six .50 caliber (12.7 mm) M2/AN Browning machine guns.

/ USA Spitfire WWII #4  
Very interesting, thanks for posting.

/ USA Spitfire WWII #5  
Yes and most people don't know that the infamous P51 Mustang was originally built for the UK. When we delivered it, it had an Allison V-1710 engine which greatly limited its high altitude ability and range. The replacement of the Allison with a Rolls-Royce Merlin engine by England resulted in the P-51B/C (Mustang Mk III) model and transformed the Mustang's performance at altitudes above 15,000 ft, allowing the aircraft to compete with the Luftwaffe's fighters.

So, what did the US do for their P51's? The definitive version, the P-51D, was powered by the Packard V-1650-7, a license-built version of the Rolls-Royce Merlin 66 two-stage two-speed supercharged engine and was armed with six .50 caliber (12.7 mm) M2/AN Browning machine guns.

Confuse them even more by bringing in the A-36. :)

Bruce

/ USA Spitfire WWII #7  
FWIW the Allison V-1710 also had a marine version that was used in the (plywood) PT boats...

/ USA Spitfire WWII #8  
I believe the P-38 was also equipped with the Allison engines.