Non-Wood Options for Elevated Backyard Deck?

/ Non-Wood Options for Elevated Backyard Deck? #1  

ultrarunner

Epic Contributor
SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
Tractor
Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 and RTV900 with restored 1948 Deere M, 1949 Farmall Cub, 1953 Ford Jubliee and 1957 Ford 740 Row Crop, Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer 50 assorted vehicles from 1905 to 2006
I've read a few here post about building a traditional deck using aluminum or composite materials.

Hoping those with information can post pictures and tips they learned along the way.

Recently, I got a very expensive bid to replace a wood deck built new in 2005... the bid was just shy of 80k !!!

My options are eliminate the deck or come up with a once and done solution for Olympia Washington's wet climate.

Deck is over a down-slope starting at grade with 8' posts extending up on the low side...

I considered steel with concrete... like I have in California... but this was built by the original owner who designed bridges for a living back in the 1960's

Those with Aluminum is that mounted on pressure treated joists and posts???

/ Non-Wood Options for Elevated Backyard Deck? #2  
No experience with aluminum decks other than the price list. I'm not a fan of the composite decks because they sun fade and pretty much look bleached after a few years. I'd build a covered wood deck before I built an aluminum, concrete or composite deck. I'm not a deck fan anyway. It's incredibly stupid IMO. "Yeah, I've worked outside all day now I want to sit in the sun for an hour longer and fight the bugs while the wind blows my napkins away" Said no one ever.

/ Non-Wood Options for Elevated Backyard Deck? #3  
Retaining wall, fill, and paving blocks.

Bruce

/ Non-Wood Options for Elevated Backyard Deck?
^^^ That would cure my deck issues...

It would take a lot of blocks to build a retaining wall but it would eliminate wood rot.

The entire rear of the home is on a down slope... so I will need to make some calculations on my next visit... too much sun isn't really an issue in Olympia... and the forest grows very quickly making the deck a nice spot for family activities IF the weather cooperates.

/ Non-Wood Options for Elevated Backyard Deck? #5  
Menard's sells a product called PaverDeck. It's made of roll formed galvanized steel channels that interlock and form a deck that is strong enough to use concrete pavers as decking material. You can also top it off with traditional wood, composite, or AZEK style decking.

The product reminds me of a grain bin floor just to look at it. The nice part about it is you don't have any wood used in the structure so rot will never be an issue.

/ Non-Wood Options for Elevated Backyard Deck? #6  
I have a hillside deck, about 20x30, That goes from 0 to 8 feet high. I wish i had done a "deck" about half the size, with a 4ft wall, fill, etc.

Bruce

/ Non-Wood Options for Elevated Backyard Deck? #7  
Retaining wall, fill, and paving blocks.

Bruce

I do like the idea of a retaining wall and concrete patio, even though you do have a tall wall to do but if $80k was your budget you can certainly buy a LOT of block - and you would only have to do it once.

This is more of a question than a knowledgeable comment but I do have some (limited) knowledge about retaining walls and the fact that they are usually used to retain earth. Since it sounds like this wall (if the OP planned on doing it) is replacing a deck that isn't holding any earth back, would it be better to build the wall to replace the supporting posts of the original deck, and then fill it with interlocking rubble and gravel instead or earth since that would not retain water as earth would, eliminating or at least reducing the hydraulic pressure on the wall? Sort of the way a mason builds a fireplace hearth. Once the wall is built with the proper lean-back and the fill is in place with a tamped gravel top layer, one could simply pour a reinforced pad on top and be done?

One might be able to pour the patio with lightweight concrete?

Last edited:
   / Non-Wood Options for Elevated Backyard Deck?
Picked up two more bids... the range now is a low of 73k and a high of 88k for 1200 square feet of deck with pressure treated and composite.

Kind of in a rough spot as the property is leased and it isn't possible for me to carve out enough time to do anything hands on plus it is a good 12 hour drive each way.

The more I read about composite decking the more questions I have... especially in the wet climate of the PNW with a short hot summer.

Anyone know anything, good/bad about Fortress brand Deck Material?

/ Non-Wood Options for Elevated Backyard Deck? #9  
Precast concrete floor slabs placed on engineered support structure.

/ Non-Wood Options for Elevated Backyard Deck? #10  
Last fall we replaced our old front cedar deck with aluminum decking supplied thru a company called Nexan (next deck). after 19 years of constant upkeep i decided to take a chain saw to the old deck. house&flag.jpg

most of the old caissons were still good, but i did replace 2 and added a front landing fd 1.jpg fd 2.jpg fd3.jpg fd4.jpg fd6.jpg fd7.jpg fd8.jpg fp9.jpg fd10.jpg. we will be landscaping it this spring.

We even replaced the old rusting handrail system with aluminum no upkeep handrail system