Working near the border

/ Working near the border #1  

bdog

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti RX 7320
Regardless of your views on it illegal immigration is a much larger issue than most think. I am currently working about 20 miles from the Texas/Mexico border on a 4000 acre ranch in the middle of no where. About 15 miles to the nearest town.

The Border Patrol has a 15' wide strip of sand along the EW running farm to market road along the the north side of the ranch we are working on. They drag it and smooth it out daily and look for tracks of people crossing.

IMG_1599.JPG

Trash the illegals leave behind is scattered throughout the ranch

IMG_1596.JPG

IMG_1583.JPG

IMG_1597.JPG

This jug was not laying here two days ago

IMG_1594.JPG

Lots of these around - I wonder how many die making the journey

IMG_1585.JPG

/ Working near the border #2  
Maybe less border patrol and more RATTLERS is the answer.

/ Working near the border #3  
The sand strip is interesting, didn’t know they did that. The trash is a problem here too. I have a crew working on my place every year from Feb to November. They are highly skilled, and do a great job, the one thing I can’t seem to change, is they just drop whatever they don’t want anymore, right where they are.

There are trash cans throughout the area that are rarely used. I go through the area every few days and clean it up. Don’t like it much, but I value the workers, and it is getting more difficult to find people that will stick with it. That, and I probably need the exercise.

/ Working near the border #5  
Dang..2 good reasons to keep the doors lock also on equipment even when operating.

/ Working near the border #6  
Dang..2 good reasons to keep the doors lock also on equipment even when operating.

Common place to leave unoccupied cabins unlocked or leave cans of food and water on the porch so they don’t break in and steal stuff. Like bdog said, it’s much worse than most Americans realize and yes there are some good people looking for a better life but there are also some real bad people coming over too.

Brett

/ Working near the border #7  
The absolute worst of the worst probably come over on a corporate jet.

/ Working near the border
Common place to leave unoccupied cabins unlocked or leave cans of food and water on the porch so they don’t break in and steal stuff. Like bdog said, it’s much worse than most Americans realize and yes there are some good people looking for a better life but there are also some real bad people coming over too.

Brett

Yes this is exactly what the rancher said. Got tired of replacing doors and windows so just leaves it unlocked and leaves canned goods and water on porch. These people are on foot and walking many miles. They are going to steal your TV and carry it ten miles.

I haven't seen anyone yet but sure keep an eye out. I spend all day in a piece of equipment with no one else within sight. My cab door doesn't lock but I figure that time it takes someone to open it would allow me enough time to draw my 9 MM. Realistically most these people would not try to harm you and when they hear you coming they duck off in the brush and hide but you never know. Desperate times make people do crazy things.

What really is crazy about it is this place is about 3 miles wide in the EW direction. It is not in some key area or funnel for a lot of illegal activity. If there is this much sign of them on our 3 mile section just think about what all goes on in the thousands of miles of border.

/ Working near the border #9  
My argument with a liberal friend is he says they're coming here for a better life which I understand. But my argument is do it legally. They know what they're doing is illegal, so what does that say about their character? Just because my neighbor has something I want I don't have a right to take it.
Last year we drove around the Texas border, drove over into Mexico a few places. Once you get away from tourist areas it's rough. Think how much it costs us taxpayers! We saw busloads of illegals being taken back across.
I have compassion, but imagine letting illegals move into your house!
My ancestors were not Native American's, but they came to America legally. We need a wall and merit based system, entry by legal means, people with a skill or trade.
What's funny is most things here are written in two languages, go to Mexico and I ask "yo habla ingles?"...they say "muy poquito"(My Spanish is poor...50 years ago). But they don't have the same translation.

/ Working near the border #10  
In before the lock! ;)