Rust Bullet vs POR15 rust converter

/ Rust Bullet vs POR15 rust converter #1  

livincountry

Silver Member
Tractor
cub
Has anyone used either of these? I have a few areas on the truck and our camper frame I want to treat so want to kill the rust if possible.

/ Rust Bullet vs POR15 rust converter #2  
I'm not familiar with either product you mention but I have extensive experience with Ospho . It's easy to apply and kills the rust. Functions as a primer that you can paint right over. I've seen it a Lowe's and ACE Hardware locally. ACE had a generic product that was cheaper but contained identical components and worked just as well. My only relation with Ospho is being a satisfied customer! Good luck with your rust.

/ Rust Bullet vs POR15 rust converter #3  
I know nothiing of Rust Bullet. I did look at the Ospho link and noticed that it "resists/retards rust" while POR-15 claims to convert rust to metal. It could all be advertising jargon or it could be a really significant difference.

/ Rust Bullet vs POR15 rust converter #4  
They may all be excellent products. I suggested Ospho because I have used it with excellent results for many projects. I'm not familiar with the chemistry or what's converted to what but after the ospho dries any severely rusted areas appear glossy black and other areas often have a white powdery look. I've painted directly over that with absolutely no rust showing up over the years and no flaking of the paint.

/ Rust Bullet vs POR15 rust converter #5  
I've used POR-15 on my old Dodge trucks. Works very well, but prep is a pain and so is painting over it...so I've taken to using it only on areas that don't require topcoating or that are not exposed to sunlight. On the plus side, it holds up very well and so far not a bit of rust has reappeared on treated areas.

Auto Restorer magazine recently did a test of about a dozen rust conversion preps. The one they rated absolutely tops by a large margin was Rust Encapsulator by Eastwood. I've never tried it, but with a recommendation like that I sure will in the near future!

Pete