Houghton county MI, flooding last night.

/ Houghton county MI, flooding last night. #11  
Wow, that’s a bit north and west of me I think. We are in Mackinaw City, MI for the week.

/ Houghton county MI, flooding last night.
Yes indeed Bird, you are quite a ways away from here, 265 miles to be exact.. I see our county was declared a disaster area. We plan to get more photos of bridges lost and we'll post them as they are had. Thanks to all for your kind comments.

Wow, that’s a bit north and west of me I think. We are in Mackinaw City, MI for the week.

/ Houghton county MI, flooding last night. #13  
Impressive pictures of a lot of damage. It sure must have been something to have that much rain going down the roads all at once!!!!!

Did any homes suffer damage? Looks like it overwhelmed all your drainage systems and rivers, but that whoever planned your city and roads got it right. Or as right as could be expected not knowing something like this was possible.

My dads family is from up there. Not much topsoil to soak up water. Maybe a couple of feet, then rock!

We've been out looking at bridge damage. Seen here is the last one we installed 2 years ago. The photos show it as it was being constructed, and what it look like today. This structure weights about 17K and the abutments were gone as well. In the 2nd photo, you can see one abutment that was rolled over. The bridge "floated" about 400ft down from its original position and took well over 2000 hours to install, due to its remote location.. I added a photo of one abutment. These are 12ft wide and one thick. And pinned to the Nonesuch shale* bedrock in the photos. Oh well.

*Nonesuch Shale - Wikipedia

Attachments

• P1040254.jpg
    P1040254.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 83
  • P1040d258.jpg
    P1040d258.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 81
  • middlebridge4.jpg
    middlebridge4.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 84
  • middlebridge1.jpg
    middlebridge1.jpg
    481 KB · Views: 80
  • middlebridge2.jpg
    middlebridge2.jpg
    590.8 KB · Views: 73
  • bridge abutment out.g.jpg
    bridge abutment out.g.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
This is the creek, which is Swedetown for those who are familiar with the area, as it flows under state highway M203. This is a short ways below, the bridge photos that I just posted.

Attachments

• P10402e21.jpg
    P10402e21.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 72
  • P104w0216.jpg
    P104w0216.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 76
  • P104w0220.jpg
    P104w0220.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 69
Estimated flood damage cost in Houghton County were we reside, are in the 120 million range. Lots of people lost there homes and one child was killed when their basement collapsed.