Who are you people

/ Who are you people #11  
My life ambition at this point is to be a farmer. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I worked on a fruit farm for 9 years as a kid. Didn't have the same appreciation for it then, as I have now. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Got a degree in Aeronautical Engineering. Took the only two computer courses they had back then (1970) and loved it. Worked designing various computer systems for 30 years. Ended up as Asst. VP of Corporate Quality for a telecom equipment mfr. until my job went away in 2001. We had bought our Maine property in 2000 as a long-term retirement plan. Just wasn't as long-term as we had planned. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Since our 3 daughters are now thru college and starting their own lives, the wife and I sold the New Hampshire house and move to Maine. So I am a substitute teacher at the local high school and I focus on growing blueberries, raspberries, and Christmas trees. And occasionally riding our horses.

/ Who are you people #12  
Neil, I too got my degree in Business Information Systems.
I was raised in Overland Park, KS, a suburb of Kansas City, MO. I got my degree in BIS from Mississippi State University in 2002 and went to work for a small Exxon distributor in the small town where I live now in MS. I left that job about two months ago and am now working as a System Administrator for the Mississippi Supreme Court. I now have to commute 160 miles a day round trip, but it is worth it to be able to live on my 55 acres that has been in my family since 1909.
I have been married since August of 2002 and have no plans for children yet (that would take away too much seat time!).

Lawrence

/ Who are you people #13  
Born in West Virginia, grew up on the south side of Chicago (Marquette Park area, Bob /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif). Moved to the suburbs....hate the suburbs. Moved to a rural town in '95, and then finally bought our 15 acres in June '03 and first tractor at the same time. Married in '95, no kids yet (still practicing /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif). We have grand plans of running the horse business full time, but for now I am a project manager, mechanical engineer and programmer for a machine vision inspection integrator company, and my wife works in the insurance industry.

Dave

/ Who are you people #14  
This is what your BIO section on your profile is for. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Who are you people #15  
Really just a "commoner" looking for a tractor to play (work) with. Born, raised, and will continue to live in NC if at all possible. My wife has me and 2 practically grown children. I work at a machine company and have done everything from clean bathrooms, fabricate welded assemblies, operate Bridgeports, handle irrate customers to design woodworking machines here for over 20 years. Jack of many trades - master of none. I'm afraid the business won't see another 5 years let alone 20 more to retirement. Like lots of folks here, at least a grandchild of a full-time farmer.
Thanks to all here for letting me join in the fun !

/ Who are you people #16  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> Work was easier than retirement! </font> )</font>

While I wouldn't entirely agree with Junkman, at least when I worked for a living I used to get week-ends off ... sometimes /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I've lived too long to to give you a run down but let's just say I spent the last 25 years or so as a petoleum engineer (drilling) in the oil business before retiring in late 1999. Worked all over the Europe and the US as well as internationally in North Africa, West Africa, South America and travelled extensively in the Far East and Australia. That breaks down to a lot of time spent away from home. So now I stay at the house and enjoy time with my wife and dogs.

When I came to the States, I spent 13 years living in Dallas and moved to our present place in East Texas when my wife retired in '97. Her folks have been raising beef cattle here forever. I spent a lot of time working on their family farm both before and after retirement. I guess I've been riding tractors for close to 20 years. Not bad for a city boy.

My wife also travelled a lot for work so we are content to be homebodies. When friends ask why we don't travel more now that we are retired, I tell them that I've seen most places that I wanted to see and a lot of places that I didn't. One of the reasons I retired early was that my company wanted me to relocate to Houston. I told them that I'd leave my little house on the hill when six strong men carry me out in a box, not before. It's not that I'm anti-social, I'm involved with different service and charity organizations, but I think I've learned to appreciate the important things in life like the peace and quiet of the countryside and the importance of family and friends. Most of all, I've learned to appreciate the woman I've been married to for the past 25 years. I'll never know how she managed to tolerate me that long.

I guess I'm just lucky and very happy.

/ Who are you people #17  
Did ten years in the Navy...Vietnam vet.

Got in the Quality Control field about 25 years ago...stuck with it (foolish me!). Work as a Quality Engineer in a smaller company that does tube bending...nice place.

Met my wife on the internet 9 years ago. We're pretty happy most of the time.

Live in a rural area SE of York, PA. Just wish we had more then the 2½ acres we own

/ Who are you people #18  
Born and raised in small town TX to a farm family that had moved to town. First in family to go to college. Still live in same town.
Systems engineer by profession designing power plant control systems.
Live 30+ miles north of Dallas. My small town is not small anymore, so bought 24 acres another 30 miles further out. Plan to retire there as soon as possible.
Two grown children, 2 grandchildren with another on the way.
Looking forward to having them come visit the "farm" and watching them grow up.
Looking forward to working on my land, riding my tractor, drinking coffee and BSing with all the other ol' timers, and pulling my empty trailer up and down the farm roads. (ever notice how many pickups tow empty flat bed trailers up and down the road /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

/ Who are you people #19  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( This is what your BIO section on your profile is for. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif )</font>

Dave, your's is one of the few answers that would actually fit in that space.
/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Mike

/ Who are you people #20  
I'm a software development manager for one of the major brokerage firms. I've been in software working for financial services firms for 25 years. I grew up in Southeastern MA and Cape Cod, worked in Boston until the early 90's, spent 7 years in CA, came back to Boston for 2, then moved to VA.