New Toyota Tundra: Maintenance Questions

/ New Toyota Tundra: Maintenance Questions #1  

Will_C

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3560, Toro 52" and 60" ZTRs, Kubota RTV 900
I just bought a new Toyota Tundra, Access Cab, 4x4, V-8 engine, automatic transmission. This is the first vehicle I have ever owned (besides a couple of junkers when I was a kid) with an automatic transmission. Reviewing the literature, I notice the dealer recommends changing the transmission fluid every 15,000 miles. I know some of these dealer recommended services are money-makers for them. The owner's manual calls for changing every 60,000 miles if used for towing, and does not call for any changes if not, just "inspection" at 60,000 miles. Toyota also calls for changing differential oil every 15,000 miles if used for towing.
I will only be towing a light load occasionally with this truck ( my BX 2200, 10 miles a week in the summer) so I don't think that the towing recommendation applies to me. I do maintain my vehicles, having traded a 1996 Tacoma in on the Tundra. That truck had 128,000 miles on it with no components replaced, not a thing mechanically wrong with it. I never changed the manual transmission oil or differential oil on that truck (Tacoma.)
What should I plan for maintenance on the Tundra? What do all of you do to maintain an automatic transmission? I don't mind doing what should be done, but I don't want to throw money around needlessly, either.
Thanks,
Will
P.S. I have heard that changing the transmission fluid really is not the best thing, that the transmission should be "power flushed?" if you do decide to change fluid. Any thoughts on this?

/ New Toyota Tundra: Maintenance Questions #2  
If their transmission fluid filter change is just dropping the pan, changing the filter, replacing and topping off - it probably only "changes" 1/4 to 1/3 of the total fluid. Just offhand I'd say 15k was a little premature to be doing that procedure after the first one (which I'd recommend even sooner - maybe 1k and every 30k thereafter). Being you purchased it new and in order to keep the factory warranty intact, I'd go strictly by the book. A nice set of records by the book makes a strong statement if any problems do arise. Have fun with your new "toy" !

/ New Toyota Tundra: Maintenance Questions #3  
Go by the owner's manual. My biggest complaint with Toyota dealers I have dealt with is that they appear to try to make up in services what they don't have to fix because the cars are so reliable. I even had one dealer want to put in a $30 engine oil additive whereas Toyota specifically states in their owner's manual additives should not be used at all. I use an independent mechanic after warranty is up for all services and work I don't do.

Your best judgment on amount of trailering you do is your best guide as to whether you should follow the shorter trailer towing/hard use schedule. Do so if you want to be on the safe side, but if you are towing only intermittently, the regular schedule is probably OK.

/ New Toyota Tundra: Maintenance Questions #4  
My Tundra is 4 years old now and has 55,000 miles I think. I use the manual for service intervals except oil. Since I live down a dirt road and it is dusty here and I actually do take my vehicles off road I change oil at 5,000 mile intervals with Mobil 1 5W-30 on the Tundra and wife's Jeep. My truck has never actually been back to the dealer or anything for service.
Recently I installed a high performance limited slip, TRD supercharger and other stuff, lift kit etc. The rear showed light wear, the LS that was in it just was not cutting the mustard for me. This truck does not have a super duty rear end but should work fine for what it is intended --moderate towing.

There is a web group called Tundra Solutions that is for Toyota owners.

My opinion, you will like the Tundra for a smooth, quiet truck and occasional towing. It is not a 3/4 ton. If towing big loads is your thing---should have waited for the 06 units.
On the good side, it should run trouble free for at least 200,000 miles and it is the safest truck in government crash tests and it is a comfortable cruiser for travelling.
I hate wroking on cars--the only thing I want from a vehicular appliance is zero defects, zero maintenence, zero problems, zero breakdowns. Toyota has come closest to that goal for me. I sure would like a car I could go 100,000 miles between service. J

/ New Toyota Tundra: Maintenance Questions #5  
What's up in for the 06 units? A diesel I hope.

/ New Toyota Tundra: Maintenance Questions #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( What's up in for the 06 units? A diesel I hope. )</font>

If you follow Toyota you will note that they are opening a new plant in San Antonio Texas. The Tundras starting 06 and the 05 Tacomas will be built there. Toyota has stated that the 06 Tundra will be avaialble in a 3/4 ton truck. They have told their dealers to prepare work bays to accomadate larger units. The Tundra concept vehicle shown was a styling exercise of course but should show the way--larger, more powerful Tundras--it is huge and according to Toyota the design is inspired by a "clinched fist"--does that tell you something?
I hope for diesel but Toyota is more interested in hybrid these days. They state the new Tundra will be equal in power and towing capacity in all classes they compete in. We will see--who knows.

I want a SC diesel Tacoma but doubt I see it. All this is common knowledge reported on numerous websites and publications. It is not speculation. The 06 Tundras will be bigger and more powerful and avaialble in 3/4 ton at least. That is what they say. I don't know what will happen with Tundra production from Indiana. Maybe they will convert that plant to Camerys and all that only.

If you want a Toyota and you want a Tundra and can wait--wait for 06. I have said that before FYI. The new Tacomas should be out this Fall but I understand more things are up for them come 06 as well but the new body/frame is here for 05. J

/ New Toyota Tundra: Maintenance Questions
I don't plan on doing any heavy towing with the Tundra. My BX, even with FEL and MMM on probably weighs 2200lbs. or so. I have an aluminum trailer that weighs 500 lbs or so, so my total trailer load is less than 3000 lbs. The Tacoma with the 4cyl motor handled the trailer fine, albeit being fairly slow.
I like driving the Tundra very much. I chose it over buying another Tacoma to get the comfortable ride of a full size truck. I am not driving as much now as 8 years ago (done with grad school and the 100 mile round trip /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif). so the 4-5 miles less per gallon compared to the Tacoma does not bother me very much.
This will be the third Toyota truck I have bought new. In the 269,000 miles I put on the 1989 2wd and the Tacoma combined, I put a total of two sets of front brake pads, one exhaust (cat back), and replaced contacts in the starter on the Tacoma. No radiators, no brake rotors, no batteries, no alternators, etc. In some respects, I was foolish to trade the Tacoma in, but the dealer offered me what I thought was good money, after we had agreed on a price for the Tundra.
Thanks for all your thoughts on transmission maintenance. I also run this by my good friend who is a Nissan technician.
Will

/ New Toyota Tundra: Maintenance Questions #8  
Your comment has me very curious. I would like to see it. A diesel Tundra would surely grab my interest. One that can tow, something I do on rare occasions would be a huge bonus.

/ New Toyota Tundra: Maintenance Questions #9  
What would be wonderful, from any manufacturer, is a diesel hybrid. It would be so easy to do. And, for working out in the field, wether the farm field or just out on job sites, is the ability for a setup like that to operate as a generator.

I heard grumblimgs some time ago about a Dodge/Cummins hybrid for the military, and possible civilian offers. But, aint seen one yet, so who knows what happened to it.

/ New Toyota Tundra: Maintenance Questions #10  
Hi Robert, I tried answering your PM but my wireless broandband has been crapping out. I'm not sure what you mean by hybrid. On the otherhand, I would like to take my 3 year old out tent campng. He is at such a magical age. We are fortunate to live where we do in such close proximety to incredible hiking and the ocean. Rat...