Any one have an egg?

/ Any one have an egg? #1  

Loges1

Silver Member
Tractor
Century 3045
Finally after years of wanting and waiting I got my very own Big Green Egg. It cooks great. I was just wondering if any of you have one, and if so how you like it. I've just got to cook on mine once so far, but I love it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Any one have an egg? #2  
OK, I'll bite. What the heck is a big green egg that you cook on? Is it one of those charbroil smokers? I have one, and it's green.

/ Any one have an egg? #3  
I do not like them Sam I am, I do not like green eggs and ham. I do not like them in a box, but I might with a Fox!! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Any one have an egg? #4  
lol, my sister has one and absolutely loves it. She lives in Atlanta area and that's either where factory is located, or some large store. they got the egg and table for a song/dance. Seems you can trade them in/up /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif and she bought the one someone traded in.

Beats me if that's all legit, just the way the story got back to me.

They look interesting to me but I don't have one and never used one.

/ Any one have an egg? #5  
Do they furnish Dr.Suess books to go along with the sale? Sorry guys, I couldn't resist. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Any one have an egg? #6  
Well, I guess the former grill store owner has to chime in, here. I never sold them, because the demand is pretty low and I had to draw the line on inventory somewhere, but I've cooked on them, and they are indeed impressive.

For the uninitiated, they are a form of charcoal grill based on the Japanese kamado, a ceramic cooking urn with a lid. There are several brands along with the Big Green Egg (named such because that's what they look like when closed and cooking), including Grill Dome, Kamado, and Primo. Some also have gas and/or electric versions.

Essentially, you place a very small amount ofcharcoal coals in the bottom, place the food on the grate near the top, close the lid, and control heat by means of vents. Because they are so well insulated (one model weighs something like 425 pounds), the heat is concentrated, and a lot of cooking can be done with very little fuel. Because the lid is kept closed, moisture and flavor are retained. It's a very neat way to cook. Not cheap, however -- typical models can run from $500 to $1,500 or more.

I'm not aware of anyone who got one who felt they made a mistake, although a little of that might be being unwilling to admit making such an expensive mistake.

/ Any one have an egg? #7  
It does look like a big green egg. Here is one <font color="blue"> site </font> that sells them. Notice the price for a medium size. Regular price $557, sale price $645. ????? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Quite an unusual sale.

/ Any one have an egg? #8  
Don't matter how well they cook, my wife could still burn a hamburger on one. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Any one have an egg?
She could really burn one on this thing then. With the bottom damper and the top vent all the way open it will top out at over 700 degrees. Works great for searing a steak and locking in the juices.

/ Any one have an egg? #10  
<font color="blue"> Regular price $557, sale price $645. ????? Quite an unusual sale. </font>

Yes indeed. Or how about this one - I was in a Dunkin Donuts in Easthampton, CT and noticed that one donut was 83 cents, and a half-dozen was $5.36. I told them, "I'd like six individual donuts please - don't be givin' me no half-dozen!" /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

An only slightly better deal is McDonald's ice cream cones - $1.00 each, or two for $2.00! HOW DO THEY DO IT?? At that price, they're practically GIVING them away!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ahh, America - I do love you so, but when, oh when, will you "get real"?! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif