Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota B2910, BX2200, Yardman 20HP pos...

Default Pine sap on car...HELP!

This is tractor related...kind of...as I had to move my daughter's car so I had more room for my tractor to get by it. I was making multiple trips...

I parked it under a pine and forgot about it, and it sat there for a couple days...

Daughter got back from vacation this morning and looks at the car and it is covered with a LOT of pine sap...roof, including two sunroofs...side glass, everywhere!

Is there a trick to getting this stuff off??? Metalic red 2002 Subaru Legacy GT...

Everything tried so far flopped. I wonder if diesel fuel or gas might work?

If anyone has any ideas please advise! That stuff is sticky and nothing seems to melt it, or soften it much...THe paint under it is a concern so we have to try to be gentle...

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    NH TC 35 had, now a TC35DA LS25 lawnmower

Default Re: Pine sap on car...HELP!

Bill; I used to use diesel or kerosene to clean bad stuff off my paint. I know that won't hurt Ford paint. Look in the owners manual and see what it says, other than don't get the junk on there in the first place. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] On the glass, a razor blade would probably work. You might also talk to a car restorer, these guys have some pretty wierd concoctions, as do some of the detailers.

Good luck at any rate. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Later; johnday

Tractor
    JD 8320 MFWD, JD 6415 MFWD, FEL, and cab, John Deere MFWD 4600, John Deere 4020, John Deere 4430, John Deere 455 mower, Deutz, and Gehl 4610 perkins skidsteer

WD40 works very well and has not hurt our paint at all.

Turtle Wax Bug and Tar remover always worked for me

Tractor
    Kubota B2910, BX2200, Yardman 20HP pos...

Thanks Johnday, cowboydoc and Inspector507...we will be trying everything that anyone suggests. Hope something works on this local pine sap!

Anyone else have other ideas...please chime in. All help greatly appreciated...Never would have thought of WD40 on my own... [img]/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

I think I tell the daughter to take her mother's car to work tomorrow and experiment a bit on her's...

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Power Trac 425

Henro,

The best overall remover I have found and used is called <font color="green">Goof Off. </font> It is available at all Lowes in small lighter fluid style cans as well as gallon cans. I have used is for tree sap and for tar, etc. on vehicles, and found it to work very well w/o damaging the paint or the clear coat. It should be applied in the shade on a cool surface, using a soft cotton rag which is changed frequently.

When you use any solvent to remove tar, sap, etc., the solvent will also remove any wax on the surface. So, it might be a good idea, after removing the sap, to wash the car with a good detergent car soap, and then give it a good coat of wax. I'm sure your daughter would appreciate that as we go into the Fall/Winter seasons.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    L3010

Henro: Down here in Florida when i get pine sap on the truck as long as it is still tacky I use baby oil and a paper towel works every time

Try good old coke.

Egon

Platinum Member
    not heaven but you can see it from here... Brown County , Southern In.
    Tractor
    Branson (kukje) 4020, 40hp turbo

after the coke treatment, park by an ant farm.

sassafraspete

Gold Member
    Tractor
    BX1500

Denatured alcohol will take it off without harming the finish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast