Cut water line with Trencher how to fix?

/ Cut water line with Trencher how to fix? #1  

BobReeves

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 3000
Well I went and did it now. Managed to get the old trencher working pretty good, too good I guess. I cut the 3/4 inch plastic water line that runs to the shop and am wondering how one fixes something like this without having to dig up the world.

As luck would have it it is cut under an old asphalt driveway. I was told the water line was 10 feet the other side of the drive. I trenched across the asphalt but digging is going to be very difficult. I can dig around the cut ends in the dirt under the drive but won't have much room. How do you get couplers on when you can't move the pipe?

Thanks

/ Cut water line with Trencher how to fix? #2  
Can you shove a smaller diameter pipe into the existing one for the portion under the driveway?

Egon

/ Cut water line with Trencher how to fix? #3  
are we talking black plastic pipe or pvc?? pvc has fittings that slide on both ends and then hand tighten to make them hold, they work great for what you have there..sort of like a compression fitting. i bet black plastic has something like that too, you might have to put a piece of something inside the black plastic to make it more rigid...next possibility is put an elbow on both ends and come up slightly, then 2 more elbows and a short piece of pipe..
heehaw

/ Cut water line with Trencher how to fix?
Now why didn't I think of that.. I like the elbo idea..

Thanks
Bob

/ Cut water line with Trencher how to fix? #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( pvc has fittings that slide on both ends and then hand tighten to make them hold )</font>

Hand tighten? I used pipe wrenches to tighten them. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( next possibility is put an elbow on both ends and come up slightly, then 2 more elbows and a short piece of pipe )</font>

Personally, I don't like that method, consider it to be a last resort, but I did it several times in an RV park in Virgina the summer my wife and I worked there because the boss preferred that over the compression fittings mentioned previously. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Cut water line with Trencher how to fix? #6  
If pvc ------- buy a piece of pipe with the flared end and a colar.

(1) Glue the collar one end

(2) The flared end is normally much longer than required, So now measure the length require excluding 1/2 the lenght of the flared end.

(3) Put lots of glue on all surfaces both ends

(4) push the flared end on first, pushing it right to the end of the flare, then pull it back into the collar on the other end.

Ps It does pay to sandpaper all joins well before starting.

/ Cut water line with Trencher how to fix? #7  
#1 is what kind of plastic? PVC ? or black?

/ Cut water line with Trencher how to fix? #8  
If this is standard sched-40 type pvc, there are a couple ways to do it.

1 - There are some repair fitting made just for this. One is a section of pipe that is threaded on both ends. It has "nuts" and rubber compression fittings the slide over the broken pipe. The repair piece is pu t in the middel, and the nuts/compression grommets threaded on. The second is a setup which expands in length. It is made of of a large fitting which has an o-ring in it. It glues to on end of the break while compressed together. Then you slide expand it till it can glue to the other side of the break. Sometimes, if the break is too wide, you have to use one of these contraptions, plus a length of pipe and a coupler or two.

2 - You can use some 90's. Put a 90 on either side of the break. Put a short piece of pipe in to each 90. Put 90's on those, and a piece of pipe in the middle. Fit it all before you glue it, so you can make sure of the fit.

The repair pieces are available at Home Depot, Tru-Value, Ace ect.

/ Cut water line with Trencher how to fix? #9  
If it is just for irrigation purposes, then just put a piece of rubber hose over the two ends and clamp them in place. If it is a potable water supply line, then it needs to be properly fixed. My guess is that it would be the black plastic NSF line. The easy way to fix this has been previously explained. To get fittings on the plastic pipe easily, pour some hot water on them or heat with a hair drier.

/ Cut water line with Trencher how to fix?
Thanks guys,

It is PVC, should have stated that in the first place. Just got back from lowes with 4 elbows and 130 feet of 2/0 service drop wire. The wire is kinda another story, lets just say the water pipe wasn't the only thing I discovered with the trencher /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I found the expansion repair pieces at Lowes but 4 elbows at .18c ea. verses almost $4.00 for the expansion repair thingy helped me make a decision.

This will actually work out well as I am going to lay 2 inch PVC conduit in the trench. If I make the repair U wide enough and take it to the bottom of the trench I can just drop the conduit in and not worry about having to snake it under the water line.

Sure apreciate the help...
Bob