Pickup Truck Headache Rack

/ Pickup Truck Headache Rack #1  

Mark_in_NH

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC35D w/ 16LA FEL
I am thinking about installing a Headache rack on my truck and I gone through my catalogs and have searched the internet high and low. I have yet to find one that lights my pilot !!
I want something that is just a little differant. Somewhat contemporary, stylish, following the cab lines and I want it to have an open concept. I don't want one thats full of louvers and such.
Any ideas ??
I may have to draw up my own design and take it down to the local welding shop.

/ Pickup Truck Headache Rack #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
I may have to draw up my own design and take it down to the local welding shop. )</font>

I've been thinking of the same thing, as have several of my friends! A couple of them have bought bare bones racks with the expanded steel mesh, then taken them to Leo's Welding for some mods. One fellow had the mesh replaced with half inch tubing bent back and forth sort of like the cooling coils on the back of my fridge. Looks okay, but not my style. The other had part of the mesh cut out and inserted some edging in the shape of a Chevy bowtie. Again, looks cool but not my style...even though the bowtie is positioned so he has a clear view thru his rearview mirror!

The best stock headache rack I've seen is the extruded aluminum rig from TracRac.

Pete

/ Pickup Truck Headache Rack #4  
What is a headache rack. Photos please.

/ Pickup Truck Headache Rack #5  
I've built more than on headache rack.

But I want to find some fella with a real kewel truck that likes to fish for bass. And I want to build him the ultimate headache rack. He'd better be willing to spend some cubic dollars though. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I want to do a tailwalker out of formed steel breaking water. No junkman, that's not a jaywalker breaking wind. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

As far as I'm concerned a headache rack isn't a headache rack without lights. My standard is brake--tail with back up and a matching set of back ups that's operated by a switch on the dash.

If a trailer light goes out those following still know your intentions because they can see the brake tail lights. You can't have too many back up lights sometimes. And the extra back ups are handy when hooking up or disconnecting a trailer, loading or unloading cargo, and reminding someone that their brights are on. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Pickup Truck Headache Rack
Danny,
This attached photo is one example of a Headache rack. I do not remember the manufacture of this particular rack, I merely saved the pic for referance, so I can not link to their website or give them the appropriate credit.

Attachments

• 498684-hr_3.gif
    498684-hr_3.gif
    28.7 KB · Views: 1,214
Egon,
Mine would be about a 50 / 50 mix of "real use / cosmetic"
I occasional haul an extension ladder or a few pieces of lumber etc. etc. So I am not looking for something nor do I need something to Heavy duty. If I could take the rack in the above post to Danny and remove the louvers I think I would be happy. I would probably add a couple of verticle supports that would line up with the slider portion of my rear window.
I use my rear window alot, all year round. It gives me air, without the wind. I like the bright open feel and especially the clear view of the rear window, which would be lost with all the louvers and / or mesh screening.
I guess what I want is the initial frame with it's inherent strength and without all the confusion of STUFF in the middle.
I Want, I Want, I Want !!!! /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

wroughtn_harv,
I certainly agree with you theory on the lights. There is a company on the web (their name escapes me) that has Very Nice headache racks with lights in them. I like them ! They look very good. But for my desired use and occasional need their just way to big and heavy duty.
I would sure be happy with something a little more slimmer in design, I am thinking square tube aluminum, maybe an 1 1/2" or 2" or even round stock, It's design would have to have a bit of a flare to it, it has to have some PiZazz !! and incorperating some of the new compact LED lights would make it the ultimate rack. But it has to have an open concept, I want to keep my window clear of as much obstruction as possible.
For me, I would want it a gloss black powder coat..

I am not a very good follower. I don't want what everybody else has. I want something Differant. !!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Pete,
This is why I am thinking about just creating my own design and have it made. I will need to compare the cost of this against the cost of buying one that is "close enough" and have it modified.

/ Pickup Truck Headache Rack #10  
Danny,
A headache rack mounts behind the cab and keeps stuff in the bed from joining you in the cab. It also usually serves as part of a ladder rack or a handy place to mount lights.

On big rigs, the rack is sometimes the place where chains and binders would be stored.