2 Days, 2 Vehicles & 2 Deer Hit in the U.P.

/ 2 Days, 2 Vehicles & 2 Deer Hit in the U.P. #11  
The only time I've run into a deer was last year - had about five inches of snow on the ground and was driving along a spot that was between stop signs (about 500') and knew that deer were around, so I was only going about 15 mph.

Four or five deer were walking across the road as I came around the curve; brakes were useless. I had the plow on and the blade was just high enough to push the deer smack dab in the torso. It just kind of pushed the deer to the side; I know I didn't run over anything, so I don't think that the deer was hurt at all.

No damage to the car or plow.

So...rather than a brush guard, maybe stick a plow on!

/ 2 Days, 2 Vehicles & 2 Deer Hit in the U.P. #12  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( So...rather than a brush guard, maybe stick a plow on! )</font>

Or maybe a V-plow. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ 2 Days, 2 Vehicles & 2 Deer Hit in the U.P. #13  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( ...Will a brush guard really protect the front of my truck if I hit yet another deer?)</font>

When I hit a deer in my 1986 Ramcharger, it bent the right front part of the steel bumper back around 6 inches. Based on this I think that a looks-good bought brush guard would be minimal protection for your vehicle. Plus they are not cheap, the ones I've looked at start at $350 and go up from there!!

/ 2 Days, 2 Vehicles & 2 Deer Hit in the U.P. #14  
Yooper D, They do make brush guards that will protect your truck. In Texas hill country you don't see too many trucks with out them. The best ones IMO are built into a replacement front bumper. Around $800. Cabelas is now carrying one. I was just under the bridge Sunday and I saw a bad accident on I-75 from a deer strike. There was a F-150 with no front end left after he struck the deer. It looked like he ran another car off the road when he it and that car rolled over. Lots of dead deer this year on the road side.

/ 2 Days, 2 Vehicles & 2 Deer Hit in the U.P. #15  
We are having a really bad problem with the deer. One of the problems is that a wooded area where most of them are bedding down has state roads on all sides and is no really far enough from the roads to shoot and on the side where you could shoot, a house is there. They cross the road in front of my house and go towards the back of my land to get to a farmer's field. I'm only about 3 miles from the college and many kids bring their crotch rockets passed the house on the straight away at over 100 mph. I'm afraid one of them are not going to be so lucky and hit a deer broadside. I stirred up 10 of the deer last evening mowing the trails on the back of my land. I guess I'm gonna have to let someone come in and take out a few of them (does).
I've heard that the brush guards that are for show can actually cause more damge than they prevent, especailly if it is one that wraps around the sides.

/ 2 Days, 2 Vehicles & 2 Deer Hit in the U.P. #16  
Deer look soft and cuddly until you hit one. They are as hard as cement, but bloodier. Between me and my wife we clobbered 5 of them in the 5 years we lived in our last house. This gets expensive after a while. We've just moved to a 15 acre place further out in the country. We'll have to keep our eyes open. The thing is, even if you can see them while you're going down the road they will act unpredictably. They can be standing facing away from you and in the time you can blink they'll be in front of you and WHAM!

/ 2 Days, 2 Vehicles & 2 Deer Hit in the U.P. #17  
even better..... put a cow catcher on the front like they had on the old trains.. That should work for certain... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ 2 Days, 2 Vehicles & 2 Deer Hit in the U.P. #18  
I'm surprised one of our Aussie friends hasn't mentioned roo bars yet. Some of the ones I saw in western Australia looked like they'd take a pretty good hit and give decent protection.

Chuck

/ 2 Days, 2 Vehicles & 2 Deer Hit in the U.P. #19  
I have a friend that sells commercial trucks I took a spin in a newer Western Star 4964 EX with a Moose bumper on it It had an air over hydraulic ram to extend the brush guard out enough to flip the hood down. He bought it from Canada I guess outside in super cold temps it might be inconvienient to be broken down with a moose or elk stuck in the radiator. It was a blast to drive with that big gaurd I want one on my Mack for looks.