2 Days, 2 Vehicles & 2 Deer Hit in the U.P.

/ 2 Days, 2 Vehicles & 2 Deer Hit in the U.P. #1  

yooperdave

Veteran Member
Tractor
Tool Cat 5600, LS XJ2025H, Branson 4215HC
This has been the worst year EVER for running into deer (or vice-versa).

My brother's wife recently totaled their car on a deer, my pond excavator just wrecked his truck on a deer, I ran one over yesterday in my truck, but today I used my mom's 2004 Honda Pilot and hit yet another deer. Boy am I in trouble. Even after promptly admitting to all the blame, saying I was sorry, and willing to pay for all repairs, I am still grounded from using my parents vehicles for life. I hope time does heal all wounds. I only cracked the grill and some trim - I still feel pretty lucky.

It was ironic because I took my eyes off the road for only a second as I passed a dead deer along side of the road. That instant is when I sent a doe skidding on her back down the road with all her feet up in the air for over a hundred feet.

It is hunting season but I am not looking for action. Will a brush guard really protect the front of my truck if I hit yet another deer?

Thanks

Yooper Dave

/ 2 Days, 2 Vehicles & 2 Deer Hit in the U.P. #2  
WOW. What rotten luck.

Grill guards protect the grill from brush, not deer.

I've never hit one, but a couple years ago someone hit one EVERY DAY for about a week just around the corner from where I live. I couldn't believe it, but every day as I would come home from work there would be someone on the side of the road with a wrecked car and a story about a deer.

And FWIW, if I was your parents, I wouldn't let you drive my car either! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ 2 Days, 2 Vehicles & 2 Deer Hit in the U.P. #3  
If you got a " for show " grill guard It will not help much. Of course if the grill guard is a serious one no worries. Most serious grill guards are home built.

Egon

/ 2 Days, 2 Vehicles & 2 Deer Hit in the U.P. #4  
I don't know what the solution to deer on the roads is going to be, but sure wish someone would find a solution. We've periodically gone to West Virginia to visit my wife's family for many years, and I kind of like driving at night when it's cool and less traffic, and it used to be that I didn't worry much about deer on the Interstates, but last year we saw so many, both dead on the road and live along the road that I'm very concerned about driving at night. Unfortunately, traffic has gotten heavier and heavier, so now it's almost impossible to use the high beams even in the middle of the night, and you sure have to drive slow to not overdrive your lights on the low beam, especially as you get older and your vision isn't as good as it used to be. And we plan to make that trip again next month.

/ 2 Days, 2 Vehicles & 2 Deer Hit in the U.P. #5  
A friend tells the story of going on a two week hunting trip in Wisconsin and finding nothing, then hitting two many-point bucks on the way home.

Cliff

/ 2 Days, 2 Vehicles & 2 Deer Hit in the U.P. #6  
Don't know how it is out your way, but in MA & CT, hitting a deer isn't a chargeable accident on your insurance or driving record. The hunters are just going to have to change the population of deer before the problem will be resolved. Every hunter wants a buck for the antlers, but if they take a doe, that will help to keep the deer population down. I almost wonder why the states just don't have a one or two year "doe only" hunting season. One buck can service many does and each doe can have 2 fawns.. doesn't take a mathematician to figure out what is wrong with this situation. I have given permission to some hunters to hunt my land, on the condition that they only take does. If they kill a buck, then they will not be allowed back next year. A few of my other neighbors have taken this position also.

/ 2 Days, 2 Vehicles & 2 Deer Hit in the U.P. #7  
I was driving to Westminster, MD one night (worked third shift) and I saw a reflection of something up ahead. Took my foot off the gas and let the Chevy S-10 coast (was running about 50 to 55 MPH on a straight rural road).

Anyway, as I slowed, I saw it was a deer standing in the middle of the road.

I touched the brakes and came to a slow stop...the deer was still standing there, looking in the other direction.

I reckon I was two car lengths from that deer...stopped with my head lamps on high beam. That critter was totally oblivious to me...I could have got out of the truck and tapped it on it's shoulder.

Finally, a tap on the horn brought the critter out of it's reverie. All four legs shot straight out...I guess the horn startled it...

It was rutting season. Deer had no antlers or any growth, so I guess it was a good sized doe.

Heck of a story...

By the way...at least a deer's eyes reflect (that was what I'd seen). Moose..now their eyes don't reflect when your headlights hit 'em. That's a heck of a thing to run into at 60 MPH..not some 150 lb deer...but a 1200 lb moose.

/ 2 Days, 2 Vehicles & 2 Deer Hit in the U.P. #8  
Junkman I have the same outlook on the deer population problem. I see too many hunters wanting the buck personally the doe meat is more tender and Ive never been able to find a person that has eaten an antler lol. Many clubs here ban you if you take a doe, but im not in the club so i shoot at aything bigger than a goat. My neighbor has had 6 confirmed deer kills and about 5 unconfired this summer in his garden. He says as long as they eat his garden he will eat deer. I think this year they will allow 2 months of does hunting as they are starting to inbreed now. We found a dead fawn with 5 legs and there has been a few others finding them with other birth defects. Besides with the deer over populating now we have wild hogs to deal with to.

/ 2 Days, 2 Vehicles & 2 Deer Hit in the U.P. #9  
Towards the end of my hunting career, we could take up to 4 does but only one antlered deer. This was enough of a tease to get us out for the antlers then to take some antlerless animals. I dont hunt now, could not shoot one anyway, but I know it is a needed and when done properly is good for the health and wellfare of the deer in all.

About the breeding problem not many years ago here we had one guy that got a 12 point (i think that is right) female deer. NOW that is not that uncommon to have a doe with antlers, but with a rack like that is odd. Saw the photos and heard of the one sorry guy who shot an albino deer, red eyes and white as a ghost. Trouble is he checked it in, and was promptly arrested. They are protected here!

/ 2 Days, 2 Vehicles & 2 Deer Hit in the U.P. #10  
Being one of those wild eyed motorcycle riders, it is scary some times with all the deer out there. Even here we have lots of them. I have had close calls, but never hit one on the bike.

They need to be more lienient on doe tags. General public does not like the idea of shooting the girl deer though. It is great meat though, especially if you are not going for horns.