Plamsa TV Thinking Of Buying One Need Advise

/ Plamsa TV Thinking Of Buying One Need Advise #1  

NY_Yankees_Fan

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX 2200
Do you have one? What did you buy? Where? Internet vs. Brick and Mortar Store, any good sites to get information from? Should I buy now, or is the technology still too new? Am I nuts to think about spending $7K on a TV????
/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Yea I know it is Plasma and not Plamsa /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Plamsa TV Thinking Of Buying One Need Advise #2  
Never had one but know people that do. They all have fans built in for cooling,plasmas run very hot,some models the fan noise can be heard even over low volume. Read articles that say they are only good for about 20,000 hours before the plasma burns out. To pricey for me and better technology is on the way. My opinion, save your money. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Plamsa TV Thinking Of Buying One Need Advise #3  
I have heard divide the sale price by 5 or maybe 6 and that will be you annual cost for the plasma tv.
Not cheap.

/ Plamsa TV Thinking Of Buying One Need Advise #4  
The absolute best site for information on all high end home theater equipment is: AVS forum

AVS forum

www.avscience.com

They cover all aspects of high definition, LCD, Plasmas, satellite, cable that you can digest. They have some of the pioneers of HD as moderators...Nobody has a better site and reference then them. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
The only thing I can say about LCD & Plasma as of today the majority( only a few do) of the models do not display the full resolution of HD signals in their native format (1080i/720p).
I have no doubt they will some day soon.

Good luck in your choice

Duc

/ Plamsa TV Thinking Of Buying One Need Advise #5  
Yankees Fan, When looking at plasma screens notice the difference in HDTV's price between DLP and LCD ,I understand DLP is the way to go, I don't personally have one but I do have a friend that does,He says it is so sharp its like being there. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Plamsa TV Thinking Of Buying One Need Advise #6  
My advice would be to look at Texas Instrument's digital light projection (DLP) technology first. I was going to buy a plasma TV earlier this year and when I saw DLP and compared the price, lifespan and picture I was sold on DLP.

While I can't hang my TV on the wall (the true advantage of which eludes me) it is only 17" deep with a 50" wide screen display. Digital sources provide as clear a picture as I've ever seen and even broadcast, non-High Definition pictures are incredible.

I bought a Samsung and have been very happy with it. They made the size I wanted in a tabletop model and I'd bought a Samsung for my Mom for a birthday a few years ago and it still has an incredible picture while being problem free for her. Since I bought my DLP more manufacturers have seen the light (pun intended) and have begun producing DLP sets so you'll have more brand choices than I did. That having been said, I'd certainly suggest you give them strong consideration based on my experience.

I tried to buy mine locally from both Best Buy and was even willing to pay something of a premium to do so over mail order. I've bought a lot of stuff at Best Buy over the years and like them so I went to the manager there and offered him the opportunity to sell me the TV within $300 of what I could buy it online and they declined. I ended up with it delivered to my door for over $1100 less than the then retail price.

As I said, I like to buy locally, but even with their best offer to me I was going to have to spend over $700 more for the exact same item. I guess I don't like to buy locally quite that much.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I hope this helps. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Plamsa TV Thinking Of Buying One Need Advise #7  
check out the new DLP projection screen TV's they are much thinner than the older projection tv's. My wife's dad bought an Optoma DLP 52" it has an amazing picture... It also only has 1 bulb instead of 3.... Its only real draw back is the bulb needs to be replaced every few yrs to keep the optimum brightness...
and of course ist' a bit large to hang on the wall /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif...

obiously it ain't a plasma but it comes mighty close... and cost abit less...
I've looked at a mitsubishi 54" dlp for about $3300 compared to a 52" plasma at 5K....

What ever you dicide go with let us know I plan to buy something at least in the 50+ in range after I get my den built. Hopefully next xmas....

/ Plamsa TV Thinking Of Buying One Need Advise #8  
I'd save my money. Do you really need to save space?? All they are is a "WOW" factor as of right now. Here is my set up and the HDTV cost about 1/3 the price you mentioned. Gerard

Attachments

• 502264-Big Screen 1.jpg
    502264-Big Screen 1.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 181
   / Plamsa TV Thinking Of Buying One Need Advise #9  
<font color="blue"> "Its only real draw back is the bulb needs to be replaced every few yrs to keep the optimum brightness..." </font>

On my Samsung the bulb is user serviceable. There's one phillips head screw to remove that will open a door allowing me to simply replace the bulb. My understanding is that the bulb life (useful life, not until it goes dark) is about the same as the life of a plasma TV now. I guess I'd rather replace even a $200 bulb than a $7000 TV. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Plamsa TV Thinking Of Buying One Need Advise #10  
Four years ago Samsung just came out with a LCD projection screen. My TV is only 50 lbs and is 9" deep. 50" wide I can carry it around myself. The LCD at that time was to be the "Wave of the Future". Well "murph's law" it didn't stick around very long. However, I have been very happy with it and love the picture. I don't have HD satellite so the picture is ok on TV but when I pop in a DVD the picture is just like being there. My whole set up with surround sound and everything else was less than 5k. My surround sound system was as much as the TV. 7K sounds like a lot of money and my wife would kill me if I brought one home that expensive.

murph